Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
East Ridge , TN
Overhead cabinet fell

2020 flying cloud 25fb. While driving to our next location today, one of our overhead cabinets broke. It pulled through the wood in the middle and on the right side. The wood holes are ruined. We are in the middle of a long trip so wondering if this might be something that can be repaired or a major job? It hasn’t fallen yet but I assume it will. I haven’t been able to reach anyone at airstream for help.

Attachment 1
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1383.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	376143
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1386.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	376142  
mrbooshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Wow! You had to have hit a major pothole for that to happen.

I would assess the integrity of the cabinet and take more pictures as you will need them as Airstream is going to ask for them. Are you near a dealer? I would definitely talk to Airstream first and see if they can setup an emergency repair with the closes dealer. Or even a makeshift repair until you can get to your dealer. If you take it to a dealer yourself, you could wait months.

Post the new picture here to see if we can help.

I see your from Tennessee. Not exactly close to the mother ship, but you could make a trip to the factory. We like visitors to Ohio!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
It appears to me that there were NO Wood Screws attaching that side to the curve before installation. Weird things can happen on an assembly line, as they expect the cabinets to be finished.

I cannot comprehend even how you could do it without adding a L bracket and screws for temporary fix. You will have some screw holes, but they can be filled in and painted over.

Turk123 recommended a makeshift repair. I agree. But you need some solid cabinet to attach a bracket.

If not, remove the front door. That will reduce the weight. Had the same cabinet style in our 2006 Safari and we liked those better than the sliders in our Internationals.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I have had my tt for 3 years. Within a year of purchasing I noticed that the 3 screws holding that end of a cabinet, and the one in the same position across the trailer, had fallen out. I put them back in. They fell back out. About 6 months ago, I finally covered matchsticks with glue and filled the screw holes with them. Then I coated the screws with glue and snugged them back in. I did not over tighten as I didn't want to strip out the soft match stick wood. So far, they have not loosened again, but I will probably check them forever. If it happens again, I will drill out the screw holes to a 1/4 inch hole and glue in a hardwood dowel, for grip strength, then drill for the screws again.

The 3 screws are 1 through the hinge bracket and 2 through the lower part of the side wall.

The affected cabinets in my trailer are the ones at the tongue end of the trailer.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Same thing happened with our 23. Got 2 dowel 1/2 inch diameter. Cut the length with a knife. See attached. Added more screws and rivets when we got home. Dowels are not permanently but stay put.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B4BBD32B-0967-444A-A9EE-2DB71E22D267.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	376161  
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbooshay View Post
2020 flying cloud 25fb. While driving to our next location today, one of our overhead cabinets broke. It pulled through the wood in the middle and on the right side. The wood holes are ruined. We are in the middle of a long trip so wondering if this might be something that can be repaired or a major job? It hasn’t fallen yet but I assume it will. I haven’t been able to reach anyone at airstream for help.

Attachment 1
Attachment 376143
Hi mrbooshay,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 08-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbooshay View Post

Attachment 1
Attachment 376143
That sucks! Glad that AS has weighed in here and hope you get it resolved quickly. Those kind of things spoil the ownership experience and I hope you get past that and have better luck in the future!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi mrbooshay,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Hello.

My wife was struck in the head yesterday when the curved overhead cabinet door above the dinette in our 2021 GT 27ft FT popped off. I called your customer service number and you were closed for Good Friday so I opened an email case. My wife has a lump (no laceration thankfully) and mild concussion symptoms. We took delivery August 2020 from Camper Clinic II and drove it to land in West Texas. Due to the pandemic we postponed trips and it has been parked and used for only a few visits.

I am pretty upset to see this has previously happened from what I see in this thread and others. I was shocked that these are only held on by glue. Today I took a closer look and it seems the installation is poorly done so that the cabinet lids are not flush. I think that will exert more force on the glue when they close. A total of three are not flush and I assume that is the way the one that fell off was installed.
See photo.
What has Airstream done to address this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinette cabinet other door not flush.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	392284  
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchB View Post
Hello.

My wife was struck in the head yesterday when the curved overhead cabinet door above the dinette in our 2021 GT 27ft FT popped off. I called your customer service number and you were closed for Good Friday so I opened an email case. My wife has a lump (no laceration thankfully) and mild concussion symptoms. We took delivery August 2020 from Camper Clinic II and drove it to land in West Texas. Due to the pandemic we postponed trips and it has been parked and used for only a few visits.

I am pretty upset to see this has previously happened from what I see in this thread and others. I was shocked that these are only held on by glue. Today I took a closer look and it seems the installation is poorly done so that the cabinet lids are not flush. I think that will exert more force on the glue when they close. A total of three are not flush and I assume that is the way the one that fell off was installed.
See photo.
What has Airstream done to address this?
Hi DutchB,*

We're very sorry to learn that this happened. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can escalate this to our team.

Thank you.