Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
MISSOULA , Montana
Question Opening AS window

I believe I am a person of at least average strength, although, I have a dickens of a time trying to open a window, especially the large back window that I cannot even reach the two opening rods at the same time. I know the glass sometimes sticks to the rubber seal, but even when loosened with my credit card or bone tool I still find them hard to open from the inside. Now, I just unlatch and go outside to lift them open.
As a long time, reader of the forum I am puzzled why I have not seen this mentioned before. Perhaps I am too weak or doing it wrong. Please help.
Jackroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Consider installing “Window Poppers” as an easy way to open the windows from inside. Search them out on Google.

Thy are a simple spring-loaded knob and glass pusher gimmick that gets the closed window moving out a bit very easily.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I may need the window poppers too Jack, because I don't open my windows often. I clean, dress and lube the seals but every time I finally get around to open them, I have to use the plastic wedges on the outside, except on the smallest window.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Consider installing “Window Poppers” as an easy way to open the windows from inside. Search them out on Google.

Thy are a simple spring-loaded knob and glass pusher gimmick that gets the closed window moving out a bit very easily.
https://seeyoudowntheroad.com/produc...poppers-%c2%a9
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
It sounds like the OP's problem is not only that the window is sticking to the gasket which is what the window poppers would solve. He says that he's prying them up from the outside so I assume they are actually getting unstuck.

Jackroderick, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're saying that you are having difficulty pulling up on the interior adjustment levers even after unsticking the gaskets and this is compounded by the fact that you don't quite have the wingspan to pull up on both levers at once.

The large windows in the trailer can be hard to raise with the levers especially if you can't reach both of them and pull up on them simultaneously. It does seem like a lot of force is required and it sometimes makes me fear for the integrity of the levers. Rather than pulling on the inside levers for the big windows with all your strength, you might just be better off and it might be easier on the window adjusters if you opened the window from the outside like you've been doing. Just my $.02.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Alright, Mike, not sure about the OP but I'm sold. the fresh air will do me good too.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I agree that the leverage on the levers is not particularly favorable. I can do it but like others mention, I feel like I am about to break that lever!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
To jump in here, I agree, the leverage for the larger windows is inadequate using the inside levers. I keep my seals well lubricated so it is simply the weight of the window that is the issue. I have learned to always go outside and open those windows.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote