Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
New Owner Battery Question

We just took delivery of a new 28’ Queen, yesterday. Wow, what an experience. The process took almost six (6) hours. The information given was like trying to drink water from a fire hose. Anyway, the big aluminum is finally in our driveway.
Last night, my wife and I figured we would acclimate our dog, Japanese Akita, because he will be joining us on most trips. When we were inside, we noticed that the refrigerator was still working.
Question (1): Since it is electric and draining the batteries, how do we turn it off?
Question (2): The batteries are the Battle Born lithium type. Should we buy a trickle charger (what kind - make model)? The owner’s manual talks about led acid types.
Question (3): Spare parts - we plan on having a bunch of fuses, like our truck, but what other spares do we need?
We have the water stuff handled, we think.
List of stuff we have/plan to install this coming week:
ProPride with 1000# bars
EMS 50 amp Hughes Autoformer
TST TPMS with Dill VS-902-W stems
Two (2) SoftStarRV kits
Do we need anything else before we “hit the road?”
Thanks.
Spaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaggs View Post
We just took delivery of a new 28’ Queen, yesterday. Wow, what an experience. The process took almost six (6) hours. The information given was like trying to drink water from a fire hose. Anyway, the big aluminum is finally in our driveway.
Last night, my wife and I figured we would acclimate our dog, Japanese Akita, because he will be joining us on most trips. When we were inside, we noticed that the refrigerator was still working.
Question (1): Since it is electric and draining the batteries, how do we turn it off?
Question (2): The batteries are the Battle Born lithium type. Should we buy a trickle charger (what kind - make model)? The owner’s manual talks about led acid types.
Question (3): Spare parts - we plan on having a bunch of fuses, like our truck, but what other spares do we need?
We have the water stuff handled, we think.
List of stuff we have/plan to install this coming week:
ProPride with 1000# bars
EMS 50 amp Hughes Autoformer
TST TPMS with Dill VS-902-W stems
Two (2) SoftStarRV kits
Thanks.

I can't help much as I have an older trailer, but doesn't the fridge have an ON/OFF switch? Barring that, put the trailer in store mode.

Did it come with Lithiums? If so the converter should be proper for keeping them charged. Use an adapter and plug the trailer into a standard home outlet. You may have to leave the trailer in USE mode to keep the batteries charged this way. Check your manual.

The one thing I have direct experience with is TST sensors on Dill stems. Use some dielectric grease when putting the sensors on. The brass fittings on the TST sensors will chemically weld themselves to the Dill stems. Don't ask how I know.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^^^^^
Me either, too old, not much help,

Wouldn't the 6hr video on your phone help?

We have a 3 way fridge with one control panel on the front...push the 'off' button and it's done.
If you isolate the BB batteries with a switch,(before the converter), a tickle charger isn't needed. Ours lasted, in the AS, since last October.

Stuff..

Duct tape if it's broke.
WD40 if it squeaks
A hammer if its stuck
And zip-ties for everything else.

Just what we did....
Get on the road and buy the 'stuff' when it's needed, save that storage for all that you bought thinking you might need it and never did.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Bring at least a minimum tool kit, with all the bouncing down the road it seems there is always something…..
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Depending on the fridge, you either have an on/off switch or you set the thermostat to zero to turn it off.

Rather than putting money in a lithium compatible trickle charger, I'd put in a full disconnect switch. It's less money and is far more useful. ( = there is no need to trickle charge a lithium battery).

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
Venice , Florida
Quote:

When we were inside, we noticed that the refrigerator was still working.
The FC 2022 Owners Manual has the following for the fridge on/off. Our 2022 6.8 ft cu model turns off using the rotary dial inside the door, I’d look to see if you have one of those inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1207BA7-7492-4178-821E-EAD677B741F9.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	416318  
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Thanks.

Most of my tools fit into two HF black cloth toolbags, one medium, one small. I like the cloth bags because they don't weigh much, have handles and are easy to transport around.

The medium bag is my "hitch kit" and has what I need to hitch up. Besides things like gloves, orange safety disks to mark the backup line, hitch spares, ball cover, ball grease, and so forth this has box end wrenches and sockets sized for the specific nuts/bolts on my hitch.

The small bag has most of my small working tools; Picquic driver, small cordless USB driver, Wera screwdrivers, Gedore cutter, Rivet gun, Rivets, small VOM, etc.

In a square tote in the truck I also carry a Ryobi cordless drill, a Ryobi cordless power inflator, 2 tire pressure gauges. and a cordless 1/2" impact wrench with a 21mm soft sided socket for wheel changes. Plus a kneeling pad and 5 lb fire extinguisher.

Glovebox has a small SAK I've had like forever and a AAA headlight.

Airstream gives you a collapsible X brace thing which I discovered in one of the compartments; it looks pretty cool. I keep that as well as the EQ WD bar tool in the front compartment.

This is in addition to the usual stuff you need for camping. Chocks (both X chocks and regular chocks), set of leveling blocks, large 4x4 block of wood, sewer drain hose(s), water supply hose(s), Y-connector, Blue water filter replaced every couple months, etc.). I use those orange 50' electrical storage reels for both water hoses and my 30A main power supply cable; these work very well for compacting them for storage.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
Venice , Florida
Quote:
If you got a solar option, most likely the batteries will be trickle charged off that. Does your rig not have solar?
Old 05-21-2022, 05:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Besides the minimum to make camp, I have: an extra length of water hose (25' collapsible). A 10' length of water hose. A 10' extension for the sewer hose. Two lengths (25' and 10') TV Coax fitted with push-on quick disconnect fittings on each end (much easier than screwing on coax at a campsite). An attachment for the hose to allow filling the on-board water tank. Happy Camper tank treatment. Roll of 1" Gorilla Tape. A 50A to 30A adapter. A 120VAC to 30A adapter.

Spare hitch pins/latches for my EQ hitch. Extra rechargeable batteries (I use Eneloops). A blade fuse kit with a range of different fuses that will work with the Airstream 12V system. A couple tire pressure gauges and a 12V cordless 18V power inflator (I use a Ryobi One+ but there are many options out there). A 21mm softsided socket and click-type HF 1/2" torque wrench for tire changes and to check torgue on the wheel lugs and my hitch.

Can of silicone spray to lube the steps. Tube of silicone grease for the hitch ball. Aerospace 303 to lube all window and door gaskets. Roll of paper towels and Sprayway window cleaner. Windshield cleaning tool/squeegee. QD spray and MF towels. Small lightweight collapsible 6' ladder. Lightweight tarp and bungees to cover the propane tank cover. Pair of gray canvas-type tandem wheel covers.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Check what kind of fuse is needed for tongue jack and get some spares. The ones used on older trailers can be hard to locate when you need them.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Viair P88 air pump, and carry bag sold separately, Amazon.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:42 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
Thank you, guys, specially Rich Jenkins! I’ve got my homework cut out for me.
Mentioned was a lightweight tarp & bungees to cover propane tank: is that for protection against road debris?
Spaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Thank you, guys, specially Rich Jenkins! I’ve got my homework cut out for me.
Mentioned was a lightweight tarp & bungees to cover propane tank: is that for protection against road debris?
If that was me, I only use it set up at camp, like the tire covers. Probably OCD, but it’s very light and it’s always good to have a tarp or some kind camping. Rain Shelter, sun shade, etc. The one I have is silver, about 4’x6’, maybe $8 at Harbor Freight.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:24 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^^^^^

Me either, too old, not much help,

Wouldn't the 6hr video on your phone help?

We have a 3 way fridge with one control panel on the front...push the 'off' button and it's done.

If you isolate the BB batteries with a switch,(before the converter), a tickle charger isn't needed. Ours lasted, in the AS, since last October.

Stuff..

Duct tape if it's broke.

WD40 if it squeaks

A hammer if its stuck

Just what we did....

Get on the road and buy the 'stuff' when it's needed, save that storage for all that you bought thinking you might need it and never did.

Bob

Still laughing at the:
Duct tape if it's broke.

WD40 if it squeaks

A hammer if its stuck

That about sums it up! Lol

@Spaggs,

Looks like someone above has the refrigerator and battery questions answered.

As Bob was saying get out and use the trailer, as you’ll find the list of “needed” items will grow. It never fails that when things go left, you don’t have the one item you need. However, I get the need for planning and I have a forever growing bag of tools and spare items. Unfortunately, it changes from trailer to trailer. Some items I carry:
Ryobi tools so I can use the same battery/power source (drill, flashlight, circular saw (cabinet making new trailer), nail gun, drill bits)
Ryobi battery charger
Truck has a tool box set (sockets, wrenches, sockets, allen etc.)
Standard and short screw drivers
Fuses for every fuse in the box
X chocks
Rubber chocks
Lego blocks
Batteries (ever size for items that require)
Screws -assortment of sizes #8,#10 3/4” comes to mind
Water filters
Water regulators with gauge
Zip ties
Duct tape
Black electrical tape
50 to 30 amp dog bone
Silicone spray
Torque wrenches for PPP

I’m sure I’m forgetting all kinds of things but these things come to mind.

But to touch on the waste water section you may need a little extra length hoses for the stinky slinky and or a sewer solution for trying to dump waste uphill as well as an easy (less space) solution for more length.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Game changers:
Mopeka propane tank monitors
Level mate pro & Anderson levelers

I also like:
Weboost drive reach (cell booster)
Wi-Fi hotspot, I have a Mobile Must Have Speed Demon.
If you get Wi-Fi: Micro Air Wifi thermostat, you can monitor the interior temp if you need to leave the dog behind.
(Disregard the last two if your 28 queen is Pottery Barn)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
The one thing I have direct experience with is TST sensors on Dill stems. Use some dielectric grease when putting the sensors on. The brass fittings on the TST sensors will chemically weld themselves to the Dill stems. Don't ask how I know.
You must be very near salt water. I'm in Florida with TST sensors and Dill stems and never had a problem.
However, you still have good advice, next time I take a sensor off, I'll try a dab of dielectric on it.
I know I don't use aluminum valve caps on anything.
In my boating days, I'd use a stainless screw in an aluminum mast and after a year, it would snap off rather than unscrew.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote