Old 01-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
New 26RBT HVAC questions

Last week we picked up our 26' in Ft Myers and have used it 24/7 in central and north Florida. In this short period of time the weather has ranged from 88 to 29 giving us the opportunity to use the AC, HP and furnace.
The owners manual, pg 5-12 comments briefly on the HVAC and says operation and maintenance can be found in supplemental manuel's. Our package was missing these items so I contacted AS customer service. They emailed 3 attachments that were merely installation instructions (they said that was all that Dometric provided).
My questions:
1.Is there a schematic showing the ductwork that includes the 2 rooftop units and furnace? How are they interconnected?
2. On cold nights hot air would blow out of the 3 baseboard grilles. Other times no air would come out of them. Why intermittent? At first I thought they were only connected to the furnace, but that doesn't make much sense when running the HP. Any thoughts?
3. What do you do at night to reduce that unbelievable noise of the rooftop units? I wake up every time they start up on their slowly progressive winding noise! I just find it amazing that they make so much noise!!! Finally one night I shut them off and used the furnace. That however is not practical since paying for 50 amp service and then using propane instead is an unwise economical choice. Any suggestions other than shutting them off??
Thanks
Wayne

wwesthof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwesthof View Post
My questions:
1.Is there a schematic showing the ductwork that includes the 2 rooftop units and furnace? How are they interconnected?
They're not interconnected.
Quote:
. On cold nights hot air would blow out of the 3 baseboard grilles. Other times no air would come out of them. Why intermittent? At first I thought they were only connected to the furnace, but that doesn't make much sense when running the HP. Any thoughts?
Yes. I was surprised by this also. The Heat pump AC's are not very efficient when the temp dips into the low 30's or upper 20's. Therefore your thermostat, mine is a CCC2, has a program to automatically switch to furnace when the temperature dips below a certain point. The manual for the thermostat mentions this "auto program", but I didn't do it, so I guess it was pre-programmed. I noticed it when I walked to the front and felt warm air on my feet, nice!

Quote:
3. What do you do at night to reduce that unbelievable noise of the rooftop units?
I guess I'm not sensitive to noise, but try running the front AC only while you're in bed. The other option, I use is to supplement the heat pumps with a small heater I sit on the nightstand. I tried many and can't beat the old Pelonis heaters made in the late 80's. Many in pristine condition are still found on e-bay. I prefer the ceramic heaters over the hot wire type, or gas.
Here's mine.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
In addition, you can install East Starts, https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267, on your heat pumps, which eliminates the giant starting thump. However those rooftop units still make noise when they are running. But the running noise is more of a white noise to me sleeping, without the big starting noise.
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Arkansas
1. The ducted A/C runs the length of the trailer and both ducts are centered above the round outlets in the ceiling. Both ducts are connected to both A/C units supply. The return is independent for each A/C and is behind the 2 square mesh screen return air grilles directly below each A/C unit.

2. All furnaces run this way..... Get a call for heat from the thermostat. Blower comes on. Blower proving switch closes (this is a safety feature to insure the system is moving air before it lights the burner. Once the temperature at the sensor is satisfied, it shuts off.

Heat pumps are only able to provide heating when the ambient temperature outside is above 45 degrees F.

The only time we run the furnace is in the winter when we are boon docked in a parking lot on our way somewhere. If connected to shore power, we heat our 27 FBQ FC with 2 ceramic tower electric heaters with preprogrammed set points and oscillation locating one in the rear and the other just outside the bedroom.

3. I program the A/C unit over the bedroom to run during the day and the unit over the galley to run at night specifically for the noise aspect.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
Thank you for some great responses.
wwesthof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One way to deal with the noise is to set the fan to "always on" rather than "auto". The noise is not reduced in any way, it simply does not change as dramatically when the system cuts in ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Pelonis ceramic heaters!! 👍🏼

[QUOTE~ I tried many and can't beat the old Pelonis heaters made in the late 80's. Many in pristine condition are still found on e-bay. I prefer the ceramic heaters over the hot wire type, or gas.
Here's mine.
[/QUOTE]

I had 2 of the Pelonis oval shaped heaters and you're right!! Instant abundant heat. I bought mine in the early 1990s and just discarded the last of the two a few weeks ago as it had finally bitten the dust. Spent about $20 each and they were wonderful. 🥰
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Agree about using space heaters rather than the built in heater options when plugged into shore power.

Weve gone through several modern space heaters and have settled on the Vornado series as our solution these emit a directional spiral of air that means you can place it under the dinette at the far end of the trailer and it keeps the whole unit warm. We also like it because its whisper quiet and what noise it does emit is far from our heads when sleeping. They come in a lot of different variants, we have the electronic version so we dont hear the clicking on and off at night.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
As noted, the furnace ducts & AC ducting are not interconnected.

However, since the furnace typically continues to run until it reaches ambient temperature, it’s possible that the furnace will still be running (cooling down) after you switch over to heat pump and it starts up.

+1 for plug in floor heater(s) to maintain the temperature at night. Some higher end heaters (some Vornado models) will not turn back on in the case of a power interruption, not necessarily a good feature.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
We use a small Dyson, works fantastic, super quiet ,Very efficient heating , has an oscillating - directional , thermostat, and remote control . Very efficient heating our 25 FBT International serenity evenly. Also safe for children and our pets . Has a Very futuristic Airsteam look . Stay warm and safe travels.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
What Uncle Bob said.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Blacklick , Ohio
One warning with the little space heaters (which we love and use if we have electric) is that the high mode is 1500W on most. We had ours plugged in under the dinette and the heater/circuit went dead. We were on 50A shore power. Checked the breaker box and no breakers were flipped. Everything else ran fine. Realized it was plugged into the inverter circuit. Pulled the pads and access cover to find the inverter breaker flipped.

WBCCI #3345
emdoc is offline   Reply With Quote