Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #1

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Rockwall , Texas
Luxury RV resorts

Hi all - my wife and I are new to Airstream and I am retiring in 2 years. We are looking to purchase an International Serenity 23’ or Flying Cloud 23’. My wife would like to occasionally stay at a Luxury RV resort but she’s read that a lot of those resorts have a minimum RV trailer length of 24’. Are there resorts out there that don’t require that or should I only consider the Flying Cloud 25’?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
IMO the term "Luxury RV Resort" is very broad and open to interpretation. There are many RV parks that offer great accommodations to include pools, Cable etc. However one that does come to mind would be Disney's RV park and to the best of my knowledge is not restrictive in size.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There are all sorts of "exclusive" resorts to be missed. Some are Class-A only (with their own set of minimums) and many have arbitrary age limitations, refuse pets, etc. Buy the rig you want and you should be able to find nice places to stay, though "2-foot-itis" is a common malady regardless of campground restrictions.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Personally, I wouldn't change my thoughts on the trailer that I want to buy based on the requirements of some Luxury RV parks. My wife and I tried some Luxury RV Resorts early in our Airstream ownership, and found most of them to be anything but luxurious. Many of them also have full time residents as opposed to recreational campers, which isn't something that interests us. We are much happier boondocking, in state parks, or in national parks. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with your decision. There's quite a bit to consider. For example, many people (me included) consider the jump from a 23 footer to a 25 footer to be something that requires a jump in your tow vehicle from a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton truck (assuming you're towing with a truck).

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
What defines a luxury RV park in your mind? Maybe better asked, “what amenities need be present to meet the threshold of your wife’s definition of luxury?"

Beyond the basics of full hookups, cable services, WiFi, and pull through sites for those who can’t backup, is the desire campsite amenities such as extended driveways, casitas, patios with propane grills and outdoor furniture, grass-lined concrete pads, outdoor lighting, gas fire pits, fenced-in areas for dogs, concierge service to access local businesses, shade trees by every site, or firewood provisioning? Could it go so far as upgraded laundry facilities with attendant, individually separated restrooms with shower stalls and warm towel provisioning, workout exercise areas, and mingling clubhouse?

Or, possibly, it is specialized services to clean your tanks, fill your propane, or butler/chef services to prep your meals and do table service? Is she looking for campgrounds with swimming pools, hot tubs, and resort-style cabanas or poolside bar areas with band? Does the clubhouse need to have game room(s), restaurants, and rental facilities for e-bikes, golf carts, paddleboards, canoes, pickleball, corn hole or bocce ball equipment. Do they need to have an activity coordinator on staff, or offer nightly bingo games?

All of the above or just a selection can be found at “Luxury" resorts. If you frequent these places, your pint-sized Airstream might not get you the same smiling nod and promptness from staff as the Prevost owners receive. Do you care if your neighbors are exclusively Class A's and want you parked furthest from the amenities? If so, consider upgrading.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Personally, I wouldn't change my thoughts on the trailer that I want to buy based on the requirements of some Luxury RV parks. My wife and I tried some Luxury RV Resorts early in our Airstream ownership, and found most of them to be anything but luxurious. Many of them also have full time residents as opposed to recreational campers, which isn't something that interests us. We are much happier boondocking, in state parks, or in national parks. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with your decision. There's quite a bit to consider. For example, many people (me included) consider the jump from a 23 footer to a 25 footer to be something that requires a jump in your tow vehicle from a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton truck (assuming you're towing with a truck).
Agree.

In addition to the jump from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton, it rules out SUV’s and forces you into a truck (or van).
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
One cautionary note regarding length is that the resorts that do have a minimum length (be it 20' or 24') usually refer to the actual body, not the designation. Specifically does not include the tongue or the bumper. So for example our FC20 does not meet 20' minimum where imposed (Like Tiger Run in Colorado).
Old 08-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The flip side of this is that there are places (like National Parks) that have *maximum* length limits. There's no way you can both be "over 25' " and "under 22' " with the same trailer. This is not a one size fits all sort of thing.

With any decision like this, go spend some time in the 23' and 25' trailers. Ideally you would like to see the actual 2022 models. That will be tough to do. AS floor plans don't change a whole lot year to year. Sitting in a previous year's version should give you a pretty good idea of what's what.

Even with a target of 23' to 25', I'd put something smaller and maybe a couple of larger ones on the list. You don't really know how it will work for you from looking at floor plans on the internet.

I'm not suggesting you move up or down in size. I'm only suggesting that you take a long hard look at a range of sizes. Far better to buy the "right" trailer the first time than to trade one in a year or two later. ( Though now would be a fine time to trade one in ... ).

Pick the trailer first, get that settled in your mind. Then go and work on the TV end of things. You likely will go through several TV's while owning a single AS. Working out the trailer by it's self it tough enough. Don't try to optimize both TV and trailer at the same time . You don't need that hassle ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
3/4 ton required for a 25' AS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post

Started out with a 2017 International Serenity 23D. Two years later went to a 2019 FC 25 RBT. Towed both of them with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van. Van specs are 8600 LB GVW, Cargo/Payload capacity 2538 LBS per the yellow/black door sticker, Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 14,000 LBS, factory rated to tow 7000 LBS. It has the 5.4 gas engine and 3.73 Limited Slip Axle ratio. Tows like a champ. The 25' actually tows better than the 23'. Any PROPERLY EQUIPPED 1/2 ton pickup can easily tow a 25' AS. I do agree that any bigger than a 25' probably ought to have a 3/4 tonner in front. The limiting factor on the 1/2 ton pickups are the Cargo/Payload capacity numbers. If one choses carefully and lays off all the bells and whistle trim levels a decent amount of Cargo/Payload capacity can be had.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Any PROPERLY EQUIPPED 1/2 ton pickup can easily tow a 25' AS.
I agree with this, but most of them aren't properly equipped.

As you point out, payload and cargo capacity are often a major concern. Half ton trucks with the max tow package generally have the chops to pull a 25 footer, but many people who buy trucks don't know about or don't opt for this package.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 08-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
My kind of man! Towing with a van! The perfect tow vehicle!!!
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Many luxury RV park also have an age limit whereas your trailer cannot be older than 10 years old. When your trailer reaches that age are you willing to buy a new one just to keep staying at the RV luxury sites?

Maybe you can stay at really "nice" versus "luxury" RV resorts and occasionally check into a luxury hotel Resort or Spa instead.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #13
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
In my opinion, most "luxury" rv parks are overrated, overpriced and mis-named. Check TripAdvisor and other similar websites for reviews

And, imho, and based on my almost 13 years of towing, a ford f150 (previous tv) or a ford expedition (current tv) are fine for a 25'. With the HD tow package - of course.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Ok so you think you want a 23' , well depending on the bed layout you will have a time making it and getting in and out of it . How is the living room layout ? the kitchen and bath room ?

That said , So many people who bought the 23' later trade up to 25' or 27' .

Did you know the 25' is the most popular size .

As for age limit , Tell them it's an Airstream that usually negates the rule . Besides if it looks good who is to say its not newer .

Case in point we have a '69 it looks pretty good for its age , we had to send pictures of it to a park that had an age limit , They let us in .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	401053  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
In addition to the jump from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton, it rules out SUV’s and forces you into a truck (or van).
I tow a 25 Flying Cloud RB with a Lincoln Navigator within all the numbers, but I concede it is payload limited and we can't put all that much in the truck. Works well for us though.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #16

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Rockwall , Texas
Thanks everyone for the advice. We will look at the 23’, 25’ and 27’. My wife is not looking for ultra luxury as she informed me that I needed to clarify that. Lol

We’ve both done some RV traveling as kids but that was a long time ago. She just wanted to know what to expect these days and if the length was a big issue with some parks that she thought looked nicer. I’m ok with boondocking.

Thanks, again.
Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Trailer length can also prevent you from getting into some campgrounds if your rig is too big. We've camped in several state parks that allow a maximum length of 45 feet (truck plus trailer). Our length is just over 43 feet in total with our 23FB. This was more important to us, which is one of the reasons we stuck with a 23 footer.

If you look at all three of those trailers, it will be hard not to buy the 27!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 08-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
There are no standards for the terms used to describe where we park our rigs. I’ve stayed at “resorts” that were basically trailer parks and “RV Parks” that are more like resorts.

I haven’t come across any minimums. If there is a minimum I’m guessing it’s because they are catering to motorhomes (or, as with the age limit restrictions, trying to avoid poor people). Maybe those are a regional thing (e.g. Florida—I haven’t been there).
Old 08-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
In my opinion, most "luxury" rv parks are overrated, overpriced and mis-named. Check TripAdvisor and other similar websites for reviews
Amen.
I'll never stay at a $2000/wk resort and have everyone else looking down their nose at me.
The residents will be outside with torches and pitchforks.
"Honest, I thought it was 27'."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torch.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	401056  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #20
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you have a goal of staying in a “luxury” RV resort, you might as well just buy a Class A diesel pusher motor home, because most “luxury” parks won’t let in anything but Class A units.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote