Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2021, 11:23 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
One cautionary note regarding length is that the resorts that do have a minimum length (be it 20' or 24') usually refer to the actual body, not the designation. Specifically does not include the tongue or the bumper. So for example our FC20 does not meet 20' minimum where imposed (Like Tiger Run in Colorado).
Thought I'd just put in a good word for Tiger Run in Breckenridge. We spent a night there last week. Very nice RV park and we will definitely return at sometime in the future.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Couple thoughts I can share. I have a 25’ flying cloud, my primary goal is time in national parks, and state parks. The 25’ is said to be the “sweet spot” among airstreams for that mission. Smaller is better in some ways but holding tank size was a big factor for us. The 25’ is the smallest wide body, and has bigger tanks than the 23’ so that’s where we started our search (25’). National and state parks rarely have sewer hookups at the site so tank size determines how many consecutive days you can last before needing to take action (ie dump the holding tanks). We wanted to maximize that aspect. As for tow vehicle I started with an f150 but quickly realized it is on the very edge of what I consider to be stable (towing my 25’) so I moved up to an f250 and it was absolutely the right change for me. If you are new to towing, the #1 thing I caution folks about is the situation where your trailer weighs equal or more than the vehicle pulling it. Sure they have plenty of power, and have the Mfr tow rating but until you experience the real time dynamic forces at highway speed on a windy day you cannot really appreciate the reason so many folks (me included) advise that 3/4 ton or heavier is best for 25’ and above. Plenty of folks tow with 1/2 ton, and it certainly can be done, but keep researching so you get more familiar with the wide range of opinions, then merge those in with your circumstances and objectives. Finally, I’ve not encountered a minimum length criteria myself, I have encountered age criteria, and of course the max length restrictions that are very common in national and state parks. Best of luck in your search. Do lots of scanning of prior threads in this and other forums, and make the choices that are best for you and your expected style of camping.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Ditto the comments in post 22 (1StreamDream). Get the trailer you want. Airstreams look pretty much alike, so if you need to say your 23’er is a 25’er, you’ll probably get away with it. The type A’s will dwarf whatever you are camping in.
Along that line of thinking, luxury RV parks look pretty much alike, so if one is not accommodating, shake the dust from your sandals and move on.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
This thread has introduced me to the concept of a "luxury RV resort". I would have guessed that "luxury RV" meant a concrete pad and full hookups while being more than 5 ft from the trailer next door. Did a google search and WOW!! Not for me but still cool.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Depends on SUV, my GLE 400 tows the Flying Cloud 25fb easily, some of the bigger SUVs tow 7200 Lbs and more easy,
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
This thread has introduced me to the concept of a "luxury RV resort". I would have guessed that "luxury RV" meant a concrete pad and full hookups while being more than 5 ft from the trailer next door. Did a google search and WOW!! Not for me but still cool.
Yeah full hook up is luxury, we stayed in a luxury resort once it was $$$ and not much better than our better normal places
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
It's not a luxury resort until my campsite has a patio with a table, umbrellas, and a swim-up bar.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It's not a luxury resort until my campsite has ... ..... a swim-up bar.
.... with free beer ....
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:15 AM   #29

Muldoon , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. We will look at the 23’, 25’ and 27’. My wife is not looking for ultra luxury as she informed me that I needed to clarify that. Lol

We’ve both done some RV traveling as kids but that was a long time ago. She just wanted to know what to expect these days and if the length was a big issue with some parks that she thought looked nicer. I’m ok with boondocking.

Thanks, again.

We decided on a 27 after looking at the 23, 25, then 27. Loved it. Tow with a F250 due to payload, engine braking, etc.
If you go with a unit that has a challenging bed layout check out QuickZip sheets. It’s a good solution for not having to wrestle that crazy bottom fitted sheet!
Traelh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I don't want to be the guy who's seeing the neighbors show up with torches and pitchforks. "Begone peasant!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy-6.gif
Views:	29
Size:	597.8 KB
ID:	407784  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote