Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Lounge Table Wobbling

I’ve noticed some annoying back and forth wobbling on our lounge table. I’m thinking that perhaps some cushion under where the brackets slide into the mounts on the wall might fix it. I’m curious if others have experienced this and what solutions they’ve come up with. It’s also on my agenda to look again at the solution I saw on here for securing the table in the upright position while in transit (to avoid bouncing and falling out).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1236.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	429452  
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
My opinion, depends on one’s model of course, but when the table is in upright position when traveling it puts stress on the bulkhead fittings, I always put my table down when traveling, look at the cost if not. But everyone will want to spend their money as they wish.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:25 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Lounge Table Wobbling

My table has never detached or shown any kind of wear at the bulkhead and most Airstream owners would be horrified if they saw some of the gnarly, rocky, uphill, downhill, rutted ‘tracks’ I’ve dragged mine through.

I can’t imagine towing on paved roads for the most part would have any impact. Though intuitively having it down will surely lessen the odds of a problem, as unlikely as that seems to me.

Just my experience.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Unfortunately, I can't help here.

We tow with our table in the down position and the poles stowed away, precisely so we don't have to worry about any cumulative damage over time.

The Globetrotter table engineering in our 2022 GT 27 FB Twin isn't very robust and it's not a great design.

Eventually, I will replace my table legs with the yacht style hydraulic table poles that telescope up and down in the vertical direction so you never need to remove and stow the table legs. And these are mechanically much more robust.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
I guess this is what I get for throwing an after thought at the end of my question.

To clarify, I travel with the table down. The problem is, when I’m not traveling, and sitting at the table, it wobbles back and forth. There is five where the brackets slide into the slots.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
I guess this is what I get for throwing an after thought at the end of my question.

To clarify, I travel with the table down. The problem is, when I’m not traveling, and sitting at the table, it wobbles back and forth. There is five where the brackets slide into the slots.
Gotcha. Jamming something soft into the lip where the clip slips into the wall "thingy", lol might work well enough. Maybe some has a more elegant solution. Sorry for adding to the noise level in the responses :-)

When I replace the current poles with the yacht style legs, I will remove the clips from the bottom of the tables as they will no longer be needed. The yacht style table legs do not wobble.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Gotcha. Jamming something soft into the lip where the clip slips into the wall "thingy", lol might work well enough. Maybe some has a more elegant solution. Sorry for adding to the noise level in the responses :-)
Lol, no worries. It’s my fault for adding an aside at the end to some other mods I’d seen for the table. Yeah, I was thinking as simple as some stick on loop-side of Velcro might work.

Quote:
When I replace the current poles with the yacht style legs, I will remove the clips from the bottom of the tables as they will no longer be needed. The yacht style table legs do not wobble.

That’s good to know. I’ve heard people say this, but I’ve never yet seen one in a live trailer that didn’t wobble even worse than our table. I’m told it’s probably due to misadjustment or over use.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Airstream recommends that wall mounted tables be lowered and pedestal tables be upright when traveling.

From the manual for my 2023 International on page 3-6 under the pre-travel checklist:

9. Lower wall mounted tables to be even with dinette seats. Place Pedestal tables in upright position.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Following. Our table does the same thing but it's never risen to the top of my "to do" list.

I do recommend towing with the table down though. Our table wiggled loose in transit once after being left up and scraped up one of the cushions.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #10

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Thanks for posting this - I was just about to post something similar, as we have a new 2023 FC FBT, with a rear hatch. The lounge table is right in front of the hatch, and only supported by the two legs, which results in a very wobbly table. With two big dogs, we’ve already had some drinks spilled from them knocking into the legs. Sounds like an engineering problem that requires some creative tweaks.
Willow Run 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:08 PM   #11

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Eventually, I will replace my table legs with the yacht style hydraulic table poles that telescope up and down in the vertical direction so you never need to remove and stow the table legs. And these are mechanically much more robust.
I’d be interested in hearing more about the hydraulic table poles, if you have more info or a link.
Willow Run 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Run 2 View Post
I’d be interested in hearing more about the hydraulic table poles, if you have more info or a link.
Don't have a link handy. I will try and find some time while preparing for our 1st long term trip in our new Airstream (6 week trip to Utah, CO, AZ, NM!!). We depart on April 1st.

In the interim, search the Airforums for this topic. Others have posted photos and links to the yacht style tables supports that telescope up and down hydraulically. Yacht tables must be rock solid and stable due to the high motion experienced by a boat.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Our table wobbled quite a bit too.

We travel with it in the down position. It has ended there anyway.

Two issues with ours: too loose at the wall, too loose at the leg
  1. Removed table.
  2. Removed the tabs that fit against the wall.
  3. Bent the tabs slightly to make them fit snugly but not too tightly. This done in a bench vise and using a hammer to tap the hardware.
  4. Drilled fatter holes. Used fatter screws. I may have rehabilitated the holes first with glue and match sticks.
  5. Reattached the tabs.
  6. Same procedure more-or-less at the leg. Additionally, it was necessary to add a washer because the folded leg was tight against the table, and it needs a little space to disengage when being lowered.

This is all from memory so I may have missed a step or three. 10k miles later it still holds well.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Don't have a link handy. I will try and find some time while preparing for our 1st long term trip in our new Airstream (6 week trip to Utah, CO, AZ, NM!!). We depart on April 1st.

In the interim, search the Airforums for this topic. Others have posted photos and links to the yacht style tables supports that telescope up and down hydraulically. Yacht tables must be rock solid and stable due to the high motion experienced by a boat.
Do a google search for "boat table pedestal", "yacht table pedestal" and "Adjustable table pedestal". You will get a lot of options to choose from.

Search the airforums postings too. I think several folks have found some of these adjustable yacht table pedestals at affordable prices and have installed them to cure this wobbly table problem.

Here is one product that other airstreamers have used:

https://www.campingworld.com/springf...0576_ARCS.html

This isn't necessarily the cheapest place you can buy this from. It's a common product that is available from many suppliers.