Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Lots of 120 AC but no DC in the trailer.

Woke up on Saturday morning to no lights no refrigerator, water heater, HP, furnace or anything requiring dc. Converter is a WFCO 8955 PEC. I have 13.7 v at the battery. So I think the converter is working. There are 4 posts going to the DC side. Battery + is 13. 7. Battery - is 13.7. VCC is 13.7. POS + In is 0. There is voltage at both sides of the two 40 A fuses. What am I not seeing, a fuse somewhere probably???Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	406522
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Unplug shore power and see what voltage you have at the battery. Then see what voltage you have on both sides of the 40 amp fuses. It would be interesting to know.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
Open Ground?

Check from your positive cable to the shell or other grounded metal part. You should have 13.7 volts to there also. If not, your ground connection to the shell is corroded, loose, or disconnected.
Jcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I unplugged shore power and the batteries read 13.2 V and the both sides of the 40 amp fuses read 13.2 V as well. I checked from frame to + and got 13.2 V also.
The bottom lug with the red wire on it reads 0 Volts and that one says +POS IN. I canít find where that wire comes from. Wondering if there could be a fuse somewhere in that line.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I don't think there are any fuses between the battery and the electric box. You may have a break in the +POS IN wire someplace that could be hard to find. I think I would run a continuity check between the box and the battery to determine if there is a break in the wire. If you aren't sure how to do one, google it, there are plenty of how tos out there. You have probably already done so, but if not, disconnect each wire at the battery post and check them to insure they are making good connections. Clean the post and the wire leads before reinstalling. Remember to disconnect shore power before working at the battery.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
OK, The very top white wire should go to your battery. Sometimes there is a fuse or breaker of last resort somewhere on this wire. It is often hidden. You can confirm this by disconnecting it from the board and read from the positive lug on the battery to the white wire. If you do not read 13.2 or close follow it towards the battery.

The next wire down is the negative charge wire coming from your converter. Unplug from shore power and see if that 13.2 volts disappears?I think it will.

The third wire down is the positive from the converter feeding the 13.2 volts to the positive buss built into the board. The 40 amp fuses will not blow on a large load, only reverse polarity will blow them. The next wire down is unknown. This could go to a DC subpanel with breakers or a solar charger? Ignore it for now. The bottom wire is the positive wire from the battery and you said it is reading zero. This wire could also have a breaker or fuse inline. Either the negative or positive coming from the battery is open. It could be either. I would use a temporary jumper wire between the positive on the battery to the bottom connection and then from the negative on the battery to the top connection to confirm. I suspect you have a circuit breaker in the loop that will not reset. Good luck.
Jcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I think I see the problem now because of your help, but I can see a temporary fix but not the permanent one. The bottom red wire that says + pos in, that had 0 volts on it. It goes through the store (relay/ solenoid). It does not pick so it never transfers. I found that one of the 5 amp fuses were bad thatís located on the side of the relay. I thought Ah ha, Iíve got it. But still nothing. I guess it could be the store sw. with the little electronic panel on it, I have no way of testing that. I am thinking for a temporary fix I would bypass that by moving the wire coming from the +side of the battery to the other side of the relay until I can get it into the dealer.
I want to thank you guys for helping me figure this out. You are the best. I owe you at the least a beer some day!! Regards, Joe