Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Petawawa , Ontario
Let the wait begin !

Hey all,

New guy here. I recently ordered an AS FC 30 FBB, I should get the delivery mid/late summer 2022! It's a long wait but IMO it will give me time to get ready. I am retiring from the military in July 2022 then selling my house to go on life adventure with my wife and two kids (2 and 5 yo). I will be on this forum for the next year trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you all for the great posts and help.

Pleasure chatting with you all.

V/r

Paul
Paul631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!!

That *seems* like a long wait, even by today's standards.

Airstream typically does model change over in May to July. That may or may not apply to various models this year. Who knows about next year. One would *guess* that things will be more normal then.

If things are back to normal, you would be getting a 2023 model in mid to late summer of 2022 ....

Crazy !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Welcome !!!!

Airstream typically does model change over in May to July. That may or may not apply to various models this year. Who knows about next year. One would *guess* that things will be more normal then.

If things are back to normal, you would be getting a 2023 model in mid to late summer of 2022 ....

Crazy !!!!

Bob
Well maybe I should call Airstream directly instead of going through the dealer....
Old 07-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Petawawa , Ontario
I just talked with the dealer and you are right. Here his answer

As for the model year, there is potential that it could be a 2023 depending on when Airstream does their model year change next year. This year they had a delayed model year change

Mind as well get a 2023. Fingers crossed

Paul
Old 07-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul631 View Post
I just talked with the dealer and you are right. Here his answer

As for the model year, there is potential that it could be a 2023 depending on when Airstream does their model year change next year. This year they had a delayed model year change

Mind as well get a 2023. Fingers crossed

Paul
Hi

Ok, so here's the thing to ask: "Is my price locked in?". I would *think* the answer should be yes. ( Airstream normally bumps the price year to year ).

Bob
Old 07-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Hi

Ok, so here's the thing to ask: "Is my price locked in?". I would *think* the answer should be yes. ( Airstream normally bumps the price year to year ).

Bob
So my price is not locked in, on the bill of sale on the comments section it states

" Due to extended lead times and volatile markets price increases from the manufacturer will have to be passed to the purchaser. If increase occur you will be notified as they occur. We appreciate your undertanding."

Paul
Old 07-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Congradulations on your lifetime camper. There are a lot of little tricks and tweaks to make these trailers just perfect for you and your family. Enjoy The forum. You will learn a lot. I prefer to read about mistakes on here before I make them mself.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
So my price is not locked in, on the bill of sale on the comments section it states

" Due to extended lead times and volatile markets price increases from the manufacturer will have to be passed to the purchaser. If increase occur you will be notified as they occur. We appreciate your undertanding."

Paul
Hi

Well, that's no fun ....

I don't know if the deal you got is based on 2021 prices or 2022. It's a pretty good bet that they will go up 5 to 10% each year.

Bob
Old 07-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Congrats. Welcome to the forum. Have you contacted any other dealers in other locations to see if you could get a better delivery and locked in price?
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
Congradulations on your lifetime camper. There are a lot of little tricks and tweaks to make these trailers just perfect for you and your family. Enjoy The forum. You will learn a lot. I prefer to read about mistakes on here before I make them mself.
Thanks Peter

I've never own a trailer, right now I have an old 1980 Chevy-Dura 24' motorized RV. I like it but it's getting really old. Looking forward to the new equipment and a bit more luxury!
Old 07-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
Congrats. Welcome to the forum. Have you contacted any other dealers in other locations to see if you could get a better delivery and locked in price?
Thanks TexasVine

In Canada there is just a few dealers, the other somewhat close dealer from me could not match the price of the first one at all, he was 8k out. The delivery was June 2022 so for two months ill keep my 8000$. Both dealer could not lock the price.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Here and There , Pacific Northwest
Lots of speculation regarding next years sales and availability. What percentage of sales over the last 16 months will return to dealers? Will some new owners be financially upside down with the Airstream they purchased? I spoke recently to a dealer F&I guy who seemed very candid. His thoughts were they would be getting back a larger than normal number of units as new to RV customers discover the life is not for them. He felt the biggest impact would be on manufacturers but at the dealership they were all preparing for the downside of the sales cycle. One might take from this your new order price could be fairly stable and on the other hand there might be some gently used models coming on the market. This F&I guy thought the savings on the used would be in the form of being outfitted and all the nuisance startup fixed. He didn't expect a large price retreat because most new sales were financed and sellers would not have much room to discount.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Dave, that is exactly what my father said with all the reported sales of RVs the last few years- the market fallback to dealers and used models should make a difference for would-be buyers. That advice has me waiting as I, more than ever, have been contemplating updating. I spoke with Patrick a few months ago at Colonial to inquire about getting a new one but I cannot help but consider keeping or buying another used one so, I wait.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I recommend if you haven’t bought your tow vehicle for your future AS yet, buy it 4-6 months before you pick up the Airstream so you have time to ‘learn’ and get comfortable with it. I had never driven a truck before and it took me all of 6 months to adjust to its greater width and height. Many threads on the Forum about payload and hitches. It is an exciting journey you are embarking on - congratulations!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:30 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I recommend if you haven’t bought your tow vehicle for your future AS yet, buy it 4-6 months before you pick up the Airstream so you have time to ‘learn’ and get comfortable with it. I had never driven a truck before and it took me all of 6 months to adjust to its greater width and height. Many threads on the Forum about payload and hitches. It is an exciting journey you are embarking on - congratulations!
Thank you.

I've been driving trucks for a long time and I will be towing it with my tundra. Bought the Tundra in 2016 so I am very use to it. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Hi

Welcome !!!!

Crazy !!!!

Bob

Ours is in production now supposed to comete 15 J and delayed a week as of yesterday. They say it will still be a 21, but 22’s ship 1 Aug. I wonder if it delays another week will it be a 22? It already has all the 22 features (smartplug and compressor fridge)….
McDonald256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:58 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Lots of speculation regarding next years sales and availability. What percentage of sales over the last 16 months will return to dealers? Will some new owners be financially upside down with the Airstream they purchased? I spoke recently to a dealer F&I guy who seemed very candid. His thoughts were they would be getting back a larger than normal number of units as new to RV customers discover the life is not for them. He felt the biggest impact would be on manufacturers but at the dealership they were all preparing for the downside of the sales cycle. One might take from this your new order price could be fairly stable and on the other hand there might be some gently used models coming on the market. This F&I guy thought the savings on the used would be in the form of being outfitted and all the nuisance startup fixed. He didn't expect a large price retreat because most new sales were financed and sellers would not have much room to discount.
Hi

Oddly enough, there's been people actually going out and looking into this. Based on the studies so far, the folks who have bought recently are *more* likely to continue camping in an RV than those who have bought in the past. Indeed there is the very normal "I bought one that's to small / large / ugly / used ... and I plan to trade up" group. That percentage has not changed much over an earlier group of buyers.

It will be interesting to see if this data actually continues to be correct after the summer camping season is over.

Bob
Old 07-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , ON
Quote:
Hey all,

New guy here. I recently ordered an AS FC 30 FBB, I should get the delivery mid/late summer 2022! It's a long wait but IMO it will give me time to get ready. I am retiring from the military in July 2022 then selling my house to go on life adventure with my wife and two kids (2 and 5 yo). I will be on this forum for the next year trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you all for the great posts and help.

Pleasure chatting with you all.

V/r

Paul
Hey there,

We too ordered the same AS in May. Estimated delivery is May - June 2022. I just saw on the AS website that the price jumped up a little (USD $2800). So, we might get an adjustment on the bill of sale, but the dealership warned us before we signed the papers.
TBH, we don't even care abut the price increase, we just want to get the rig before July. Summers in Ontario are so short, and the pandemic has made it impossible to go south during the winter months.

Cheers from Toronto to soon to be AS owners!
Eli_Berni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:43 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald256 View Post
Ours is in production now supposed to comete 15 J and delayed a week as of yesterday. They say it will still be a 21, but 22’s ship 1 Aug. I wonder if it delays another week will it be a 22? It already has all the 22 features (smartplug and compressor fridge)….
Hi

I think it's a good bet it will be a 2022 feature wise. Will it be badged as a 2022? Who knows?

Why does this matter?

If you ever sell the trailer *and* the new owner wishes to finance the deal, banks look at how old the trailer is. They go by model years rather than purchase dates. At some magic number of years ( 5, 7, 10 ....) this or that bank stops doing loans. That impacts your ability to sell to a wide audience ....

Bob
Old 07-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Here and There , Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Hi

Oddly enough, there's been people actually going out and looking into this. Based on the studies so far, the folks who have bought recently are *more* likely to continue camping in an RV than those who have bought in the past. Indeed there is the very normal "I bought one that's to small / large / ugly / used ... and I plan to trade up" group. That percentage has not changed much over an earlier group of buyers.

It will be interesting to see if this data actually continues to be correct after the summer camping season is over.

Bob
Another twist in the buying surge is a fair amount of buyer upgrading. Not all buyers are new to RV. An AS salesperson said price and demand is up for pretty much all brands used and new. They are getting buyers who because of the demand (easier sell) and higher sale price are taking advantage of opportunity to make adjustments in what they own.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote