Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Kentucky Horse Park is a reasonable place and close to Lexington for food and shopping.
I did the trail...some of it ...in two steps last year on the way to and returning from Florida. You will find more trail than Bourbon. Some like Makers Mark are a long way from the Bluegrass Pkwy and Bardstown. Don't even consider taking the trailer down some of the twists and turns on the way to a few of these. Also watch out for the transports on those twisty roads. I was nearly run off the road by a supply Tractor-Trailer on the way out from Makers Mark. Totally worth the effort. I will be back to do some more
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We did the Bourbon Trail April 2018 with 8-10 other Airstreamers. Basically stayed in three parks. One outside of Sheperdsville ( not too far from Jim Beam and Louisville), Bardstown and then at Kentucky Horse Park. Did everyone of the "Big Boys" and many of the smaller craft distilleries. Wonderful time.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #23
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
My Old Kentucky Home SP - Bardstown, KY

Have stayed here twice, I like it because it is centrally located among several distilleries, it is on a golf course, there are some interesting restaurants in town and it is a couple of miles from Walmart. Access is easy off of the Blue Grass Parkway or I 64.

The downside is that some of the spaces can be hard to get into with a 30 ft trailer. Most of them are back in sites.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Lexington , Kentucky
I think Lexington may be central to the Bourbon Trail

So I would consider Lexington - and the Kentucky Horse Park as a "home base". We live in Lexington and go there for a very local 'escape' alot. Other than not having full hookups very nice place well managed and nice if one has kids as well. Think of the bourbon trail as a triangle roughly between Lexington, Bardstown and Louisville. (Lou and Bardstown a little over an hour drive from Lex). I know some of the distilleries are not part of official Bourbon Trail (with the passport and all) - but the Horse Park is a good base because you can not only get the whole benefit of the Bourbon Trail - but get a chance to explore "Horse Capital of the World" - which is no exaggeration!
ocropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Just remember that all the "Kentucky Bourbon Trail Tour's" are a lot of the same thing over and over just in a different "Still" location. Your not missing a lot if you miss a few of the distilleries.

Pick your "Poison" carefully for a better experience!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
We stayed at a nice KOA just south of Louisville for the western side of the loop
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Flower Mound , Texas
Agree with the suggestion to camp at the Horse Park, enjoy Lexington and it’s sights and restaurants and travel to the distilleries you want to see. Makers Mark is great (I am a Makers Mark Ambassador), but closer and a prettier drive is Woodford Reserve. The new Castle and Key nearby should not be missed. That area is my old home town and has much to offer
Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #28
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
My Old Kentucky Home State Park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Old...ome_State_Park

Don't miss Four Roses Distillery. The Four Roses Distillery was built in 1910 and features a unique Spanish Mission-Style architecture rarely seen in Kentucky. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and operates continuously, except for the summer months, typically July through mid-September.

Distillery Tours:

Free

Monday – Saturday • 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, on the hour

Sunday • 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm, on the hour

BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote