Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I am so bummed. This is supposed to be a nice trailer.

I am so bummed. We bought our brand spanking new FC 23FB on 4/27/17. Before we could even take it out once, we had to take it back to the dealer to replace the Dometic AC. The compressor had died.

We finally got to take the trailer out, once, for ten days at the end of October. When we got back, we had to take the trailer back to the dealer. He is now trying to get Airstream to agree to replace the entrance door. It will not close all the way.

Also, the table has about a 3/4 inch drop from the aisle side to the bench side. It is not part of the "wobble," it is off level. He is trying to tell me I will just have to live with it. It is NOT acceptable that far off level. If the table is not repaired, I am calling Airstream.

This is unacceptable on a trailer that costs this much!
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I concur.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I'm sorry to hear. I know the frustrations in the first year with a new Airstream but was very fortunate to have a great dealer.

If you are not getting satisfaction from the dealer, definitely have Airstream customer service get involved. Best of luck getting things sorted out quickly.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I love my trailer, but I'll never buy another one. I'll leave it at that.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
I am so bummed. This is supposed to be a nice trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo
the table has about a 3/4 inch drop from the aisle side to the bench side. It is not part of the "wobble," it is off level. He is trying to tell me I will just have to live with it. It is NOT acceptable that far off level. If the table is not repaired, I am calling Airstream

Have you looked to see how it is off level? Measure the top and bottom table mounts from the bottom of the window and the floor.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The air cond is a known problem. The door just needs to be adjusted.. Six months to get the ac fixed? Call jackson center! Door adjustments are done all the time.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, are you in a position where you can manage a trip to Jackson Center? I would make a complete list as possible of all issues and give them a call to make an appointment for their service department. In my experience with them they do everything possible to correct any issues you might have. Also contact and let them know of your experience with the local dealership and their ridiculous statement about your table. They want to know about incompetent and unprofessional dealers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The air cond is a known problem. The door just needs to be adjusted.. Six months to get the ac fixed? Call jackson center! Door adjustments are done all the time.
When I dropped it off, the dealer said it was a simple door adjustment. It was a week later that he called me and said they need to replace the door and are seeking Airstream approval.

It took about 3 or 4 weeks for the AC replacement. Most of that 6 months was due to a child's wedding, surgery, a pre-planned trip to Europe, and a (different) child's delivering us a grandchild (in that order).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
OP, are you in a position where you can manage a trip to Jackson Center? I would make a complete list as possible of all issues and give them a call to make an appointment for their service department. In my experience with them they do everything possible to correct any issues you might have. Also contact and let them know of your experience with the local dealership and their ridiculous statement about your table. They want to know about incompetent and unprofessional dealers.
I am retired and can easily plan a trip to JC if I have to. I had even mentioned that to DW as a possibility, but thought I would give the local dealer a chance to fix it.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would suggest that you have a dealer who isn't really up to speed on this stuff. Adjusting a door is < 1 hour. If they can't swap an AC in one day, they are loosing a lot of money on service labor. Shipping one in is *maybe* a week. Without seeing the table, it's tough to guess what's going on there. I'd bet it's a simple fix as well. I would get in touch with JC and see what they have to say.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
When I dropped it off, the dealer said it was a simple door adjustment. It was a week later that he called me and said they need to replace the door and are seeking Airstream approval.
My new 27FB is having a door issue as well. Didn't have this problem with my 23D, but you really have to slam the door right now to get it to fully shut. My dealer is aware of it and there are some adjustments that can be done. Their concern right now is once adjusted it could leak once the seal settles in a bit. So I've agreed with them to leave it for now and simply see if after my week long trip in a few weeks if the seal settles in on its own. If not, then they are going to do some adjustments.

So, I feel your pain. You would think that spending this much on something that things are perfect, but also having worked in manufacturing, I also understand that things happen. Hopefully your dealer will be able to take care of you properly.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Im confused!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Washougal , WA
We are experiencing some issues with our new CB23. A dozen or more cosmetic issues which I feel are inexcusable and the refrigerator is bad. A Dometic refrigerator is in this model. We also had a crazed front window guard which the dealer missed. And the bathroom door latch was missing. I feel this is all quality control from the factory. So far our dealership seems to be responsive. We will see how it shakes out upon pick up. I too feel a little disappointed, but if they do their job and "make it right" I will sing their praises.
jkaydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Im confused!
What are you confused about? Maybe I should be confused too, but am missing something.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
My 23FB #6 fuse keeps blowing. In the 2017, the #6 fuse is for the refrigerator, furnace, and a couple of 12v phone recharge plugs. There has to be a short somewhere. The techs haven’t found it yet.
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
What AW said - Set up an appointment and get the work done.

The FB table is a simple tube inside tube support that is bolted to the floor. For it to be out of level, either the swivel/slide is problematic or the assembly is not level at the floor, which is quite odd.

Working with your dealer is a logical approach. However, bending stuff is not a skill that all dealers have on staff. JC does and the distance is not terrible for you.

Caution, some folks have not been totally satisfied with JC work. It is a recent report. That may mean the increase in service work moved some less than perfect folks into service or the perfect ones are over worked and not their best. We also know that sometimes it takes two trips to get the work done correctly. Part of the issue is the one day in and out practice that lets you stay in the trailer each night. The primary issue is that some problems don't get fully resolved with the first investigation.

Good Luck with your warranty resolution. Stay with it. There is a reason they call it a shake down cruise. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Nashville , Tennessee
I've only bought one new car and one new boat in my life. (I'm 76). I learned a long time ago to always buy a late model pre-owned anything that floats or has wheels. The previous owners have already had the pleasure of sorting out most of the glitches and defects and also eating the bulk of the depreciation. I do think JC would gladly help you sort things out as I've had the informative pleasure of a visit there and the tour...they are great folks and I'm sure they would quickly solve your concerns. Hang in there, your journey is just beginning and the fun awaits you down the road!
2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB with stern mounted Fiammia Bike rack. TV is 2006 LBZ GMC 2500HD with Gale Banks Engineering engine package. 40 gallon Aux. diesel tank. Front maneuvering hitch. Rancho XL shocks. WBCCI 5173
RobH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH41 View Post
I've only bought one new car and one new boat in my life. (I'm 76). I learned a long time ago to always buy a late model pre-owned anything that floats or has wheels. The previous owners have already had the pleasure of sorting out most of the glitches and defects and also eating the bulk of the depreciation. I do think JC would gladly help you sort things out as I've had the informative pleasure of a visit there and the tour...they are great folks and I'm sure they would quickly solve your concerns. Hang in there, your journey is just beginning and the fun awaits you down the road!
Very true in most cases. Out AS is a 2007, one previous owner, they took it on one trip, apparently after sorting all the issues. JC, however, will sort out the issues.

I will admit to buying several brand-new late-model Toyota vehicles that had zero issues...but before that I owned MANY pre-owned vehicles of other brands. They could still be a PITA....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #18

2015 25' FB International
evanston , Illinois
Forget the dealer. Simply make an appointment at Jackson Center and they will make everything right. It’s the only way to go
Cheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
As I was a investigator and lecturer on quality manufacturing, I warn that if American manufacturing does not improve the Chinese, as the Japanese did to the auto industry, will prevail.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Largo , Florida
Sorry to read that

It sounds like your dealer is way below par

But it’s a really bad trial to go through something like that. And so totally unnecessary.
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote