Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Horrible Quality Control New 2022 FC 25' RBT

When a manufacturer cannot even attach their name to a product properly it is just ridiculous. This will only be my second wash since new. I am on the ladder washing the front with my big soft wash mitt and I hear something hit the battery box. Then I realize the "T" has simply fallen off. There were only two tiny spots where the adhesive had stuck to the trailer. Looking at the back of the "T" it was nothing but dirt except the two very small spots that stuck to the trailer. Back on the ladder, looking at both the front and rear letters they are all about to fall off. Most of the letters are completely separated at the top by a 1/16" down to the middle of the letter. They would all pull off with a fingernail pull. I put the "T" back on the front and while trying to get the adhesive off the back side the front side scuffed up and just looks like heck. This just makes me mad. I have been upgrading almost every system on the trailer since brand new, and I still, continue to make various repairs every trip. Now the iconic "Airstream" signature emblem on both ends of the trailer just simply falls off. This is so very disappointing and maddening!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7728.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	421812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7735.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	421813  

Name:	IMG_7733.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	421814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7733a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	421815  

Old 08-31-2022, 07:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Raleigh , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
When a manufacturer cannot even attach their name to a product properly it is just ridiculous. This will only be my second wash since new. I am on the ladder washing the front with my big soft wash mitt and I hear something hit the battery box. Then I realize the "T" has simply fallen off. There were only two tiny spots where the adhesive had stuck to the trailer. Looking at the back of the "T" it was nothing but dirt except the two very small spots that stuck to the trailer. Back on the ladder, looking at both the front and rear letters they are all about to fall off. Most of the letters are completely separated at the top by a 1/16" down to the middle of the letter. They would all pull off with a fingernail pull. I put the "T" back on the front and while trying to get the adhesive off the back side the front side scuffed up and just looks like heck. This just makes me mad. I have been upgrading almost every system on the trailer since brand new, and I still, continue to make various repairs every trip. Now the iconic "Airstream" signature emblem on both ends of the trailer just simply falls off. This is so very disappointing and maddening!!
We just picked up our 2023 Globetrotter two weeks ago. While walking around, we thought the letters looked 'loose'. We had a Bambi previously and the letters looked fine. The tech assured us they are stuck on with very heavy duty adhesive, but your post now has me wanting to climb up with the ladder and double check. That is definitely frustrating.
gadgetgrrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
Escape Pod II

2018 22' Sport
2022 23' Flying Cloud
Orange , Texas
Working out the bugs of something hand built can be frustrating. Makes you want to replace the T with a C, doesn't it?
Old 08-31-2022, 08:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Welcome to the world of, literally, every RV manufacturer.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Maryland
Horrible Quality Control New 2022 FC 25' RBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
Makes you want to replace the T with a C, doesn't it?

Bravo. Nicely played.
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Shouldn't be that way.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Welcome to the world of, literally, every RV manufacturer.
So sad but so true.

If you are handy, then you will fix everything to your satisfaction eventually. It is just a travel trailer, so not the same challenge as a Class A motorhome.

You have every right to be disgusted with the lack of care in the assembly, as we all have been at one time.

I wonder sometimes if there was a service that would take delivery of Airstreams, then detail them to make them "perfect", and then pass them on, might that not be a reasonable enterprise?

I see comments of poor quality control on many brands of trailers and motor homes. I would go further and say no quality control.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
It really is a sad state of affairs at the Airstream quality control department.
People keep buying them at high dollar prices so Airstream has no need to improve their quality.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Waynesville , Georgia
Not just Airstream

Thor Industries owns Airstream and Keystone. We have one of each. Our 2012 Keystone Fuzion Toyhauler was purchased new and we had issues early on as far as lousy quality with their furnishing choices to save money. We were one of the lucky ones that got a unit with once attractive but now ugly, hazardous peeling “pleather.” Naturally no one from Keystone or Thor replied to numerous calls and emails, zero interest on their part to do anything about it. It is sad that for the cost of these things there is not a detailing/final inspection phase before handing over the keys like someone had suggested. Thor Industries and/or its Airstream division certainly could capitalize on a form of concierge service
ChristyB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Yea; your right! I would just sell it and get yourself a "better" SOB! Quality is always better around the corner, right?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyB56 View Post
Thor Industries owns Airstream and Keystone. We have one of each. Our 2012 Keystone Fuzion Toyhauler was purchased new and we had issues early on as far as lousy quality with their furnishing choices to save money. We were one of the lucky ones that got a unit with once attractive but now ugly, hazardous peeling “pleather.” Naturally no one from Keystone or Thor replied to numerous calls and emails, zero interest on their part to do anything about it. It is sad that for the cost of these things there is not a detailing/final inspection phase before handing over the keys like someone had suggested. Thor Industries and/or its Airstream division certainly could capitalize on a form of concierge service
I’m not sure potentially loose letters would be noticed, but it seems the final inspection is, or should be done by the dealer. Just like the final “make-ready” for a new car from the factory.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Progress...

Sad state of affairs proving nothing is made the way it used to be. The old embossed Airstream name plates such as those on my '61 and '64 are HARD to get off...buck riveted in place as they are.

I have heard nothing by heartache from my AS friends who own newer models. The craftsmanship and pride in their work does not exist with this generation of fabricators as it did in years' past.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quality

Quote:

We are now on our 4th Airstream. We currently have a 2019 25RBT. We love it and have only owned it a couple of years. The original purchaser used it one time and put it in a shelter. He didn't fix anything because nothing was broken. We are very pleased with the design and the quality. Maybe it's a pre-covid model.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
We are now on our 4th Airstream. We currently have a 2019 25RBT. We love it and have only owned it a couple of years. The original purchaser used it one time and put it in a shelter. He didn't fix anything because nothing was broken. We are very pleased with the design and the quality. Maybe it's a pre-covid model.
Not really a pre/post covid thing so much as it has been that way for a while. The rear hatch on our 2017 FC only had two rivets actually attaching the inner skin to the door frame, and the opening was cut very crudely. I clamped and trimmed and re-riveted it all around so that the gasket would actually fit.

We love our Airstream too, and would buy another, just sad that owners have to "clean up" stuff like this.

SOB's are even worse as far as lack of quality control based on friends' experiences.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear access door opening.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	421868  
Old 09-02-2022, 10:32 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
After awhile of ownership you will wonder what you bought all those tools for and why are you carrying them where ever you go. My rule is if it is not used for two years out it goes. Except for tire changing tools. It is amazing how little maintenance our trailer needs these days.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
We bought a 17 FC from Out of Doors Mart in NC. The oldest dealer in the country..we were fortunate they had long time employees who "shook it down" for us and delivered it in perfect condition..I've not done anything since but tighten some screws....I've come to believe the dealer you buy from is 75% of getting a trouble free trailer..
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I'm sorry for your problem and I don't know what other specific concerns you've had but, honestly, I wouldn't chalk up failed adhesive on a trim letter as a "horrible" quality control issue on the part of Airstream.

We've had our Globetrotter for 3 years now and have taken numerous short and long-distance trips. Aside from a couple of loose screws and a sticking shower door sweep (which I've now removed completely with no ill effects) trailer quality has been excellent. Knock on wood.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
If that's the worst issue you have faced, I'd call that a win. 10 second fix.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Airscream

That is to funny wonder if the trailer was out in the lot rot area while it waited for appliance? Seems the clear coat must have been dirty not cleaned off or had a oil film on it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
Bravo. Nicely played.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Poor build quality

That is really frustrating - especially something so noticeable.

While people like to call it poor quality control, it’s poor build quality. The person applying the letters is responsible. I’m not surprised because everyone is having trouble attracting employees. Perhaps that person wasn’t given the proper training.

Like RickBullotta said, if this is the worst thing you find wrong count yourself lucky.

After we got our 2019 Globetrotter I fixed a dozen small fit and finish things myself and made a list of bigger things for a trip to Jackson Center. The bigger things were ripples in the woven floor, sink dropping from the countertop, frame separation and the winterizing valve installed backwards. They installed ALL of them backwards. Poor build quality.

JC fixed everything on the list and we’ve had no other issues. Three years of enjoyable travel and making memories!

Hope that’s all the trouble you have but if not, JC can fix it like they did ours. Good luck!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote