Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Saranac Lake , New York
High Wind Data Point

We got stuck in some unexpectedly bad weather at Grand Isle State Park Louisiana last week. The area was in the news due the capsizing of an oil rig support ship and the loss of several crewman. The ship was out of Port Fourchon LA, right by Grand Isle. The intensity of the storm was un-forecast . We indured approximately 8 hrs in our 28 FT FC with 50-75 knot winds and torrential horizontal rain.... power & water went out on the whole island. Left the trailer attached to our Suburban, leveled, installed X-chocks and lowered the stabilizers. Fortunately no hail! Wind was mostly head-on. Had no leaks. Only issue was inability to open and windows or the door due to the wind. The trailer is very tight and started to feel like I was sitting on the ocean floor in a disabled submarine trying to conserve oxygen. The weather improved around midnight and the next morning they closed the park and we departed. I was impressed with the Airstream.
Condo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Good to hear - and glad you're safe.
Hopefully, your awnings were retracted!
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
My wife and I experienced a much shorter storm in June last year at Mohican State Park in Ohio. The picture tells it all. We couldn't repair this one and purchased our Flying Cloud a few days later. the picture was taken the following day as the tree was being removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99 Aluma-Lite Damage_3-4x6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	393583  
Old 04-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condo1 View Post
We got stuck in some unexpectedly bad weather at Grand Isle State Park Louisiana last week. The area was in the news due the capsizing of an oil rig support ship and the loss of several crewman. The ship was out of Port Fourchon LA, right by Grand Isle. The intensity of the storm was un-forecast . We indured approximately 8 hrs in our 28 FT FC with 50-75 knot winds and torrential horizontal rain.... power & water went out on the whole island. Left the trailer attached to our Suburban, leveled, installed X-chocks and lowered the stabilizers. Fortunately no hail! Wind was mostly head-on. Had no leaks. Only issue was inability to open and windows or the door due to the wind. The trailer is very tight and started to feel like I was sitting on the ocean floor in a disabled submarine trying to conserve oxygen. The weather improved around midnight and the next morning they closed the park and we departed. I was impressed with the Airstream.
We got caught in a pretty big wind/rain storm at Christmas time two years ago on the Outer Banks of NC. I did end up with a bit of water in one of the outer storage lockers but I then realized that the rubber seal was not seated well. It really didn't move the AS around much at all but dang, rain sure is loud in these tin cans!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Back in 2012 a member of the forums, PerryG114 had a tornado hit his property in Alabama. There was a lot of damage to his property and the local area. His 31" '81 Excella made it out mostly unscathed. The most amazing bit is his driveway security cam which showed the passing of the tornado and the zipdee awning being ripped from the trailer but the trailer only moved a foot or so. Check out the driveway video in the link on the post. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...ml#post1114511. I'd say unless you are hot by a tree or other flying projectile, you're pretty safe in an Airstream during a storm.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote