Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
ers
New FC 25' Owner

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Get our 2019 FC 25FB-Twin in early Jan 2020!

Excited to finally be getting it! We put off the pick-up date as we will be gone until then.

Got a fantastic price as it was 2019 end of the year pricing, plus also got that AS $1,000 End-of-the-Year rebate as well!!

But, it had some small areas of rust on it. For instance latches on some vents. And on the bars that holds the 2 propane tanks down tight. And most likely other places I didn't even notice yet.

I understand from our salesman it has been sitting in the dealer's lot a very long time. But he said they would take care of all that rust...

My question is what should we expect when we pick it up?

A brand new AS with no rust on it whatsoever??? Or since we got a great deal, that wear & tear on the dealer's lot is our cost of that deal?

But I am thinking we are buying a new AS and we expect a new AS. With no rust.

Would appreciate it if some of you would share your experiences either with end of the year deals like we got, or just about taking ownership of your AS and how picky you were about any issues.

Thanks for your feedback! Cheers!
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'll try to stick to facts but it's hard because you're questions demand subjective answers by their nature.

1. In part, the discount reflects the fact that a New Old Stock trailer has seen some real depreciation due to a real decline in condition. Thus you should expect the trailer to show minor signs of decline.

2. Aluminum, steel and chrome exposed to weather and humidity will experience corrosion. It will be worse with lack of attention (cleaning especially, protective coatings, etc.). So if the dealer ignored or mistreated the trailer, the corrosion will be worse than if they had meticulously maintained it.

3. Some finishes can be restored, but there are practical limits. Given that the salesman said they would "take care of" it I would expect the corrosion product to be cleaned up and the finish protected from further corrosion, but I would not expect the finish to be restored.

4. If you want the AS to be restored to "as new", I would expect that would have to be part of the price negotiation, recognizing that for most components, the cost of restoring it to new likely exceeds by far the real depreciation that has occurred. This is because depreciation is a reflection of the subjective value the community of buyers places on having a brand new component verses the damaged one. Specifically and worse for your position, it is the value the least picky potential buyer places on it.

So, me? I always buy used or new old stock because I am that least picky person. I realize that no matter what I do, nature is going to corrode my pride and joy so I may as well get one that is already blemished so at least someone other than me experiences some of that loss.

Enjoy your new old stock trailer and all the money you saved!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
Excited to finally be getting it! We put off the pick-up date as we will be gone until then.

Got a fantastic price as it was 2019 end of the year pricing, plus also got that AS $1,000 End-of-the-Year rebate as well!!

But, it had some small areas of rust on it. For instance latches on some vents. And on the bars that holds the 2 propane tanks down tight. And most likely other places I didn't even notice yet.

I understand from our salesman it has been sitting in the dealer's lot a very long time. But he said they would take care of all that rust...

My question is what should we expect when we pick it up?

A brand new AS with no rust on it whatsoever??? Or since we got a great deal, that wear & tear on the dealer's lot is our cost of that deal?

But I am thinking we are buying a new AS and we expect a new AS With no rust.

Would appreciate it if some of you would share your experiences either with end of the year deals like we got, or just about taking ownership of your AS and how picky you were about any issues.

Thanks for your feedback! Cheers!
We have the same trailer and LOVE it, I’m sure you will too.

We ordered ours through our dealer straight from the factory and even it had some minor rust here and there. It will certainly accumulate more as the years go by, especially on the steel frame. I don’t stress about it.

By all means have the dealer take care of any areas now that worry you but expecting zero rust ANYWHERE is unrealistic.

If it’s been sitting on the dealers lot for a while I’d focus on things that may have gotten excessive use as people trailed through it. Things like the floor, curtains, and cabinets. Wear and tear isn’t covered by the warranty so get those things taken care of before you take delivery.

Also, it’s very likely that the battery is shot unless your trailer has solar. The standard battery must be kept charged and it’s water level maintained. The battery will discharge, even in “Store” mode, after a few weeks damaging it and shortening its life. Most dealers will work out something on the battery or you could have them upgrade to AGM batteries, for a fee, which are maintence free and pack more power.

One of the first things you’ll want to do if you’ll be storing the trailer for months at a time, is install a true battery cutoff switch to avoid having to disconnect the battery terminals when in storage.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
ers
New FC 25' Owner

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Yup... solar!! 2 x 90w Solar Package with Interior Monitor & AGM Battery. Two batteries I think. So sounds like the batteries should be OK.
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
Yup... solar!! 2 x 90w Solar Package with Interior Monitor & AGM Battery. Two batteries I think. So sounds like the batteries should be OK.
Yep you should be okay so long as the trailer lived outside all the time.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Excited for you. Should be a great choice. I would not be too concerned about surface rust, Suggest you check out some of the excellent automotive products at eastwood for rust treatment and coverage. Just a caution that some require exceptional consideration to adequate fresh air and ventilation when using.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
2020 25' Globetrotter
Fayettville , Georgia
Enjoy you new Airsream! You can have fun fixing the areas that concern you. I actually enjoy working on mine.
Mike1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Wichita Falls , TX
new trailer

Since it is a twin, suggest you look at the head of each bed behind the mattress. My twin had a opening at the head of each bed. Critters could get in the trailer. Have the dealer fix if that is the case.
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote