Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2023, 01:15 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There's actually several floor plans and sizes to go look at in the 25' to 28' range. Some of the model designations don't quite translate exactly to feet.

Go and sit in *all* the candidates. Spend significant time in each. An hour or two in each one may not be enough. Take along as many of the "crew" as you can. Sit here / sit there / play in the kitchen. Check how you fit in the dining area, the bath, and the shower. See how much room there is to store stuff outside the trailer and inside (there's never enough ).

Once you are done looking you will have a list of "pinch points" and "compromises" for each layout. Welcome to the real world. Sit back and calmly work through just how significant those issues actually are. Only you can decide how they will impact you. What I or anybody else think about them matters not. You will be the one living with (and paying for) the trailer.

Once you know what trailer makes sense, *then* start on the tow vehicle debate. Most of the world trades in cars and trucks *way* more often than you probably should swap out a Airstream. Figure out your forever trailer first and then see what makes sense for towing it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:38 PM   #22
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
When I was ready to buy, I spent time sitting and simulating daily life in a variety of trailers from 25 to 30. For me, the 26U had the most "room" especially the single side toilet/shower. YMMV.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
The twin beds do provide more interior space and more storage. However, like Aluminum Falcon, they were a non-starter for us.

One thing not mentioned (or maybe I missed it) is the front separation of the 27FB. Other folks have more experience with this.

As for tow vehicles...it's mostly about payload. We felt fine towing the 25-er with a 2020 F-150 EcoBoost equipped with ProPride and Roadmaster Active Suspension. However, those longer trips in which we carried more gear meant carrying it in the trailer...beating up the floor in the process and swapping it to the truck at campsites. I went from 1550# payload to a smidge over #3000, both as measured at the scale. Weighed the F-250 rig once. Haven't weighed it since. We were so close to payload limits with the F-150 that I could hardly pass a CAT scale without feeling the urge to stop and weigh. There's one scale north of Austin that muscle memory practically demanded that I pull in. Cross-winds and big rigs were no fun but I didn't know how different a bigger truck would feel. Now, with the F-250 the drive is not nearly as exciting. Bonus is that the F-250 does (just barely) fit into the garage...like a spandex body suit...but it does fit.

Agreeing with others...sit in them both and get a feel for how you might live in it. Then buy the one that suits your camping style.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:07 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
25' FB vs 25' RB

I have a 2018 FC 25' FB twins. We have loved or AS. There is little not to like. We really like the twin beds. here is a short like of things;
1. It has a convection/microwave and no gas oven. Therefore you have to have electricity to have an oven. The 25' Rear bed has both.
2. All the underneath storage is in the front, therefore the tounge weight is on the front of the trailer. My tongue weight is around 1,100 pounds. this consist of the batteries, propane bottles, storage compartment, storage under the beds, water heater and beds.
3. We like the view when you back in at the lake or the ocean from the dining table. The rear bed you end up looking at the back of the truck.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsapp View Post
I have a 2018 FC 25' FB twins. We have loved or AS. There is little not to like. We really like the twin beds. here is a short like of things;
1. It has a convection/microwave and no gas oven. Therefore you have to have electricity to have an oven. The 25' Rear bed has both.
2. All the underneath storage is in the front, therefore the tounge weight is on the front of the trailer. My tongue weight is around 1,100 pounds. this consist of the batteries, propane bottles, storage compartment, storage under the beds, water heater and beds.
3. We like the view when you back in at the lake or the ocean from the dining table. The rear bed you end up looking at the back of the truck.
Not to rain on your parade, because all AS's are nice...Actually, the FB models are having issues with the body/A-frame separation, and the rear dinette/view happens maybe 15-20% of the time, IMHO...side view, from the dinette in the 28' is pretty nice most all the time! It's all good!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
We have the side dinette in our trailer. It seems like we are always looking at the side of the neighbors trailer at most every campground......
I like the idea of the front bed models but the the front end issues some folks are having is very bothersome. Has Airstream re-engineered this area yet?
Good luck and have fun picking out your next trailer. This should be one of life's fun experiences.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
We have the side dinette in our trailer. It seems like we are always looking at the side of the neighbors trailer at most every campground......
I like the idea of the front bed models but the the front end issues some folks are having is very bothersome. Has Airstream re-engineered this area yet?
Good luck and have fun picking out your next trailer. This should be one of life's fun experiences.
Well, that does happen a lot; must agree...but then there are many parks/camping areas where you face the camping area or the lake or in some locations, even the ocean, which are nice. Like I said, it's all good in an AS!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, that does happen a lot; must agree...but then there are many parks/camping areas where you face the camping area or the lake or in some locations, even the ocean, which are nice. Like I said, it's all good in an AS!

Yes I am very thankful that I can partake in this recreational activity and be part of the discussions on this board. Good times for me!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Front-end separation occurs in the 27FB. I have not seen reports of similar issues in the 25FB.

The N/S orientation of the 27FB queen bed locates exterior storage at the front and leaving a wide void of support in front. The E/W orientation of the 25FB queen bed locates exterior storage curb-side and a smaller opening.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:27 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2022 22' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Front-end separation occurs in the 27FB. I have not seen reports of similar issues in the 25FB.

The N/S orientation of the 27FB queen bed locates exterior storage at the front and leaving a wide void of support in front. The E/W orientation of the 25FB queen bed locates exterior storage curb-side and a smaller opening.
Has the been issues with 25FB twin with separation? I do like the floor plan of the 28RB with the lounge/sofa layout. I just do not think I want that big of a trailer.

I am going this weekend to look at AS at dealer. They seem to have several tandem axle in stock. What are your thoughts on the rear hatch door?
ToddD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:04 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
As a FC27Q owner, I'd be curious to know just how widespread the front end separation is, and for what years. As a very very small data put, we've had no problems in 4 years.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddD View Post
Has the been issues with 25FB twin with separation? I do like the floor plan of the 28RB with the lounge/sofa layout. I just do not think I want that big of a trailer.

I am going this weekend to look at AS at dealer. They seem to have several tandem axle in stock. What are your thoughts on the rear hatch door?
25FB twin storage is configured similar to queen...on the side.

I like the concept of the rear hatch. It was one of the features that attracted us to the Basecamp. But I have no experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
As a FC27Q owner, I'd be curious to know just how widespread the front end separation is, and for what years. As a very very small data put, we've had no problems in 4 years.
Lots of variables contribute to separation: lash-up, roads traveled, etc. Plenty of threads on the forum get into the nitty-gritty.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

Some 25FB's have had reports of this (front end seperation) also. Same support issue with the front hatch design and extra weight up front, IMHO. Vinny's fix is a good one and an example of where AS failed to reinforce on those FB units. I understand AS has now beefed up this area in the new models from an earlier post?
Old 01-31-2023, 06:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Some 25FB's have had reports of this (front end seperation) also. Same support issue with the front hatch design and extra weight up front, IMHO. Vinny's fix is a good one and an example of where AS failed to reinforce on those FB units. I understand AS has now beefed up this area in the new models from an earlier post?
What front hatch are you referring to? Please post a photo.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
What front hatch are you referring to? Please post a photo.
I don't have a foto; I no longer own one, but had front storage/hatch in my 2014 25' FC FBT model along with side storage under each twin. (front storage opened over the battery storage box.) Typically, the front bed models have the storage/hatch up front and the rear bed models have the storage/hatch in rear. Only the twins have the extra 2 storage compartments on either side, under where the twin is. I do remember a while back, seeing a twin model with 4 storage compartments; don't remember if it was a 25 or another model, but seems I remember it being odd with front storage/hatch, rear storage/hatch, plus the side storage under the twin beds? Anyone else see this one?
Old 02-01-2023, 02:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
I don't have a foto; I no longer own one, but had front storage/hatch in my 2014 25' FC FBT model along with side storage under each twin. (front storage opened over the battery storage box.) Typically, the front bed models have the storage/hatch up front and the rear bed models have the storage/hatch in rear. Only the twins have the extra 2 storage compartments on either side, under where the twin is. I do remember a while back, seeing a twin model with 4 storage compartments; don't remember if it was a 25 or another model, but seems I remember it being odd with front storage/hatch, rear storage/hatch, plus the side storage under the twin beds? Anyone else see this one?

Got it. Thanks.

My 2017 25FBQ has just the one small exterior storage hatch on the curb side next to the water heater. Nothing in front, and there couldn't be because there is "walking" room at the front window (using the term "walking" rather loosely here). The twins do have storage all around, as you said. So the 25FBT (not 25FBQ) has the same potential buckling at the front hatch as the 27FBQ.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Got it. Thanks.

My 2017 25FBQ has just the one small exterior storage hatch on the curb side next to the water heater. Nothing in front, and there couldn't be because there is "walking" room at the front window (using the term "walking" rather loosely here). The twins do have storage all around, as you said. So the 25FBT (not 25FBQ) has the same potential buckling at the front hatch as the 27FBQ.
Sounds right...but perhaps someone here who has the issue with his 25' can confirm?
Old 02-02-2023, 10:06 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Since you have two to choose from, I’d go with the 27. We got a 28 because we wanted the noise of our generators to be as far away from our bedroom as possible and the 28/27 are the smallest FC where you have a north/south queen bed.
27 for sure.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:50 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
The north/south queen bed is the one feature that made me consider buying the 27FB over the 25FB. Having settled for the 25FBQ, I must say that I enjoy facing straight at a window while laying down on my bed instead of the interior of the trailer. With the 25FBQ, your a surrounded by the panoramic windows and feel much more immersed in the natural environment.

Walking around the queen bed of the 25FBQ is a little bit more complicated because of the east/west orientation but much less so than people are suggesting. You simply have to scoot down to the bottom of the bed, a technique that is not very difficult to master. There is no need to roll-over your spouse as some have suggested.
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminium Falcon View Post
The north/south queen bed is the one feature that made me consider buying the 27FB over the 25FB. Having settled for the 25FBQ, I must say that I enjoy facing straight at a window while laying down on my bed instead of the interior of the trailer. With the 25FBQ, your a surrounded by the panoramic windows and feel much more immersed in the natural environment.

Walking around the queen bed of the 25FBQ is a little bit more complicated because of the east/west orientation but much less so than people are suggesting. You simply have to scoot down to the bottom of the bed, a technique that is not very difficult to master. There is no need to roll-over your spouse as some have suggested.
Or....you can just get a larger (27'-33') AS if Queen bed is your thing, with a North/South facing bed and enjoy extra room to help make the bed...better yet; get a twin model 25'-33' and enjoy the extra sleeping surface= 68" total vs 60" with the queen, the extra storage with the twin bed models with easier access to the storage bins, and 2 extra storage bins outside, plus the room to change, make the bed, or get up without bothering your partner. Cuddling can be done on the couch! (many of us learned to cuddle in the back seat of a car!) But, TEHO...it's all good with an AS.