Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Flying Cloud counter tops - formica

I'm in the market for a 25-28 foot newer Airstream. The Flying Cloud line has the formica counter tops with the glued on facing strip compared to the International series corian counters. I'm curious if anyone has had problems with the Flying Cloud formica counter tops coming unglued due to heat or other issues. Thanks.
Star Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Nope. And they weight less too.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ship View Post
I'm in the market for a 25-28 foot newer Airstream. The Flying Cloud line has the formica counter tops with the glued on facing strip compared to the International series corian counters. I'm curious if anyone has had problems with the Flying Cloud formica counter tops coming unglued due to heat or other issues. Thanks.
I have a 2016 26U with the formica counter tops. No problems with material coming loose. Edges are sharp though. They are dark brown with a high gloss finish. Hate them. They show every finger print and smudge imaginable. Hard to get a nice clean finish. I would far rather have the corian counter tops and would have got them had the 26U come with them.

Just yesterday I removed the counter tops in my AS and I'm going to have them recoated with the product listed below. It will give me a slight texture, semi lustre finish in a lighter colour and sort of look like a stone finish. Cheaper than trading up to a Serenity model.

I'm going to use #56074

https://www.miraclemethod.com/designer-colors
Old 02-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Lilbigfoot - That's a pretty interesting option. If you can post before and after photos, that would be awesome!
We had the mica (white) Formica in our '14 FC and I liked it ok and it never gave any problems by lifting up.
But our new trailer has the dark Formica and I'm not a fan of the shiny dark color as that is what was the option for the black ultra leather - so was wondering if we could replace it at some point when the warranty was up in 2 years.
The option you have chosen looks pretty cool.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
Lilbigfoot - That's a pretty interesting option. If you can post before and after photos, that would be awesome!
We had the mica (white) Formica in our '14 FC and I liked it ok and it never gave any problems by lifting up.
But our new trailer has the dark Formica and I'm not a fan of the shiny dark color as that is what was the option for the black ultra leather - so was wondering if we could replace it at some point when the warranty was up in 2 years.
The option you have chosen looks pretty cool.
Will do..Starting with the 2 table tops and 2 small counter tops on Monday. Kitchen and bathroom surfaces will come a bit later. You can see in my photo how dark and shiny the surfaces are in the 26U. If you check for dealers on my link, you may have a supplier near bye as this is a franchise operation, then you could have a look at the choices.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Will do..Starting with the 2 table tops and 2 small counter tops on Monday. Kitchen and bathroom surfaces will come a bit later. You can see in my photo how dark and shiny the surfaces are in the 26U. If you check for dealers on my link, you may have a supplier near bye as this is a franchise operation, then you could have a look at the choices.

You do know that the 2017's have different countertops? We have a 2017 FC 26U and it has medium brown woodgrain non shiny countertops. The cabinet laminate / wall laminate has changed also and it's less shiny with a slightly different pattern and color.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
I had to sand down all the edges on mine with 400 paper. I wanted to take them off and put the router to them but settled just radiusing them slightly instead. They were very poorly finished. I put down a lot of Formica over the years. My first job looked better than what they did in my 20'. But I like the dark green in mine. Makes it easy to see what needs cleaning.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I was spoiled with my last RV having Corian countertops.
The classic AS has some kind of composite, and they look fantastic.
How does the coating work? Do you have to take the countertop off and send it away? Or someone comes out and does it? Is it priced by the sq, ft.?
I think that's a superb idea, keep me posted on the progress.
I'd be interested in how it holds up to travel, hot, cold.

I looked at the website, and there's someone about 20 miles from me. I gotta say, the bullnose countertops look great!

BTW, rumor has it a new AS decor called "Landmark" is coming.

In the FC, there's actually several colors available. An interior called Dwell has a light mica color. But I've never seen one at a dealer. I have seen a dark brown, and it's nice, but a stone look would be better.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Will do..Starting with the 2 table tops
Curious to know how the two pieces fit together after coated. I suppose it would be easy to relocate the post mount on one.
I often wondered if a second post mount to move the table way off center as a "coffee table" would be practical in the 26U.
Since I'm solo, I'd have one table sideways normally.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Since I'm solo, I'd have one table sideways normally.
That's the way we do it....one table sideways in the back position. Works for the 2 of us....more room for the 2 labs on the floor.

The dealer who's going to work on my tops has a sample of before and after thicknesses side by side...I'd say there's about 1/6" more height when the finish is applied.

Yes, it may mean a bit of tweaking for fit after the job is done.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
You do know that the 2017's have different countertops? We have a 2017 FC 26U and it has medium brown woodgrain non shiny countertops. The cabinet laminate / wall laminate has changed also and it's less shiny with a slightly different pattern and color.
I envy your luck in having AS change the interior colours....much more to my liking.

Our 26U was an early 2016 model with twin beds, so we jumped on it after looking at AS's for 3 years before finding a layout that worked for us. No complaints there. Just that I'm not a yellow/beige kind of guy.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
I was spoiled with my last RV having Corian countertops.
The classic AS has some kind of composite, and they look fantastic.
How does the coating work? Do you have to take the countertop off and send it away? Or someone comes out and does it? Is it priced by the sq, ft.?
I think that's a superb idea, keep me posted on the progress.
I'd be interested in how it holds up to travel, hot, cold.

I looked at the website, and there's someone about 20 miles from me. I gotta say, the bullnose countertops look great!
Final coats, 2 or 3 are sprayed on.

The company will actually go into your AS and do the work with everything in place. I'm removing my countertops as I figure they can get a nice edge and over all better job in their shop. I'm also saving a couple hundred bucks this way. Four pieces go in tomorrow, haven't got up the energy to tackle the kitchen and bathroom counter tops.

The cost seems to go by the foot. My total is 20 lineal feet. Doing a bit of dividing, looks like it's $60 per foot. The Bullnose look doubles the cost. I'm going to see if they'll angle the upper edge with a router. There's pictures of that style on the website.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Oh, my! Now that you ask, our FC 28 FB came new with a delaminated formica kitchen countertop. When I discovered it during the dealer's new owner demonstration, the dealer noted it in its files and suggested that when I got home (1,000 miles away), I get my local dealer to correct it. I have not yet done so, & my warranty period runs out this November. I also showed it to the AS factory when we were there after the WVA Rally last July. They noted it and suggested I get my local dealer to correct it.

The big problem I have with the formica is that AS does not address its 90 degree edges, so the countertop edges are sharp. As others have suggested, sanding or filing them down somewhat or crowning them with a router bit ought to lessen that.

I finally got so impatient with the formica and its edges on the end table (as well as the uncomfortable bench seats) that I removed it and installed an oak table that I bought on Craigslist for $25 (plus two swivel chairs that I bought on Amazon for $85 each). While I've sacrificed using the end table as a drop-down bed (for which I have no need), but huzzah!!!, the oak table is significantly more comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desk.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	280106  
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #14
FC Owner

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chico , California
We have never had a problem with our formica counter tops, however, I understand the cleaning problems mentioned. I use microfiber towels that come in a 12 pack and it makes them nice and shiny again.
mcd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just curious if LilBigFoot ever did the countertop coating described above?
I have a place near me and am considering it also.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
We just had ours done, after seeing this thread. We are very happy with how it turned out. I don't have pictures yet, but I'll see about getting some posted tomorrow.

The only issue on our '07 Safari is that the countertops are made of cheap plywood with some soft layers that don't sand smooth and they also soak up the water from the finish material...leaving "banding" on the edges in some places. It's not so bad that it bothers me greatly, but we will likely put an aluminum edge band on, a la retro Formica countertops. If you move forward on this, mention it to your installer before they begin, they may come up with another solution.

Overall we are very happy with Miracle Method, and recommend it for a low cost update to your laminate countertops.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
We ordered our 26U with the Truffle décor that has light countertops (wife did not want dark countertops). Turns out she was right (again) after reading about the "smudge" issues. Yes, the Truffle adds more brown, but should be a nice contrast to the Dwell cabinets.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Yes I did....Just finished installing them.....I'm 110% pleased with them. The company bevelled the top edge for me and that took off the sharp edge. Gives it a more modern look. The finish I choose was the Granite....an off white base with a greyish fleck to it that really picks up the Aluminum interior finish. My tops are a 3/4" plywood base with a white laminate backside, so can't see any problems what so ever. There was a bit of over spray on the back side, but a razor blade and some paint thinner took it all of. Only the dinette table tops needed doing as you don't see the underside of the countertops. You could ask them to tape off areas you want to protect.

I took all counter tops off and took them into the dealer....he gave me 10% off because of that...saved them having to come to the trailer and taping every thing off. Also got a nice even spray job right to the edges.

Removing the kitchen and bathroom counter tops was a bit perplexing. Remove sink first, then taps. Then get in there and remove screws as necessary...not so easy as the cabinets originally were built as a unit and dropped into place with every thing installed. Keep screws separate as there are several sizes and you want to get them back in the correct holes. Install was more fun as I knew where the holes were and the screws sort of fit right back in. Put taps in and lastly the sink. Sink hold downs were a bit of a challenge....pm me if you need some advice there.

This Dewalt right angle attachment from HD or Lowes saved the day for me....plus some #2 Philips extension bits as that's what all the screws are.
https://www.lowes.ca/drill-accessori...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Will post some photo's in a day or so, freezing cold up here in Canada for the next three days. Don
Old 03-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Here are the results of refinishing the counter tops in my 2016 26U. The process was completed by the Miracle Method Surface Refinishing franchise company. I'm 110% pleased with the results. The sharp upper edge was beveled and I picked the Granite finish...#56704...slight luster and slight textured suface. https://www.miraclemethod.com

Here is a sample of the original finish.

Here's the new look....

Also added some led mood lighting front and back.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Tops look great! Thanks for sharing...I really like the results.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote