RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milford Center , Ohio
Flying Cloud 25rb fridge exhaust question

Hello... new to forum! Just ordered a Flying Cloud 25rb twin. It has the microwave above the fridge so the fridge exhaust is on the sidwall instead of the roof. For those with similar... does this cause any problems with fridge performance or trapping gases, especially if using the side window awning?
Sherlock628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Flying Cloud 25rb fridge exhaust question

I’ve found that the sidewall vent does not move enough air over the coils in high temperatures. The awning helps keep heat off the side of the AS.
Some also prop the top door open to improve ventilation.
My fridge has a thermostat that turn on a computer fan in the compartment that helps some. I plan to add a couple very quiet fans and a duct to push air out of the space.

Search around looking for “refrigerator fan” for more dat and examples.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What rmkrum said.

There is a fan in there that helps. I replaced mine with a quiet one. I'll prop the upper and lower doors open to improve the airflow when it's really hot outside.

My 2007 20' had the same arrangement- but my 2014 model added screening on the vented doors. The screen reduces the air flow.

Most importantly, keep the refer and freezer doors shut!! When you get something out, do it quickly, don't leave the doors open and stare at everything while you decide what eat!
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock628 View Post
Hello... new to forum! Just ordered a Flying Cloud 25rb twin. It has the microwave above the fridge so the fridge exhaust is on the sidwall instead of the roof. For those with similar... does this cause any problems with fridge performance or trapping gases, especially if using the side window awning?

I guess we should have known that you had this figured out from the git go, Sherlock!

Yes, Airstream's decision to do away with the fridge flues going through the roof has resulted in performance issues throughout the entire fleet, in my personal opinion.

Our old 1985 25' RB had a flue through the roof, and the fridge worked great in all weather.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new Airstream!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milford Center , Ohio
Thanks to all!!!

Thanks to all who replied... looks like I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to change my order to 25fb twin!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Does that 25’ FB Twin have a fridge flue through the roof? The fridge is on the street side I believe on that model, so a roof flue will be important or you can add an awning on that side.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Does that FB one have a fridge flue through the roof?
Yes it does... it is only the RB model (queen or twin) that has the sidewall exhaust.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Good news, glad you asked.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Good news, glad you asked.
Ya... just joined forum and already invaluable!! Thanks for help!!
Tom
Old 07-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
As rmkrum suggested earlier, you can search for things which interest you.

The new search box above in blue is powered by Google to search only AirForums, and it does a great job. The old search function, one item in the blue menu bar under the new search box, was not so hot, so don't be thrown off if you read an old comment about the search function not working well.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Rear Bedroom is Better!

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied... looks like I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to change my order to 25fb twin!!!
Don't base your decision on the fridge venting. I travelled today and am parked with the outside temps in the 90s and the fridge is a very nice 38 and the freezer is -18.

The few of the advantages of the RB are: quieter bedroom, door near the front of the trailer (big difference in some campsites), larger lavatory, easier access to storage (large end locker not blocked by propane storage, a gas oven and a microwave, quieter with the convertor at the front away from the sleeping area.

Some people will tell you that the dinette at the rear is better for the view, but it is a pretty rare campsite that you will have a breathtaking view out of either the front or the back.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Hi Sherlock,

We have a 2014 RB Twin...best set up IMHO. I spent 30 bucks on 2 10" fans and about an hour mounting them. Have travelled into the desserts out west 100 degree days...or into the mountains at 30 degrees. Fridge works great. Don't let the panic of a few sway you from getting a set up that works best for you. Remember people don't post about things that just work right, you will always hear more about someone with a problem.

Safe travels

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes there are other differences between FB and RB that should be your deciding factor, not the fridge vent, IMO.

I like the RB Twin because of the huge rear outside storage (FB Twin has in front and the LP tanks make access awkward). RB has bigger bathroom and shorter sofa - both pluses for us.

Microwave may also be different, I don't remember exactly.

YMMV.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milford Center , Ohio
Thanks again.

Thanks to those who posted other views... it is greatly appreciated. I contacted a friend with another brand TT that has side vents because fridge is in slide out with awning overhead... he has fans and still has problems including noise. Also, I am a retired Senior Research Scientist who specialized in thermal analysis and rheology in a world class analytical laboratory. I can see an issue with heat or even exhaust gas (if using propane) being trapped by the long awning that I am having installed on the fridge side. When I was looking, it was a close decision on the RB vs FB with the tipping factor being the larger bathroom. But I am fine with the smaller bathroom... dont really spend much time in there anyway! And with the FB, I get the larger microwave/convection oven. So, I am staying with my decision to change to the FB... and thank all for their input!!
Old 07-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
...And with the FB, I get the larger microwave/convection oven. ...
I'm not aware of a larger microwave/convection oven. It is the same one, but with the rear bedroom you get it plus the gas oven.

P.S. I don't think you will be impressed with the front locker on the FB model. Huge space (but substantially smaller than the rear bedroom because of electrical equipment) and very difficult to access.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
... he has fans and still has problems including noise.
. . .
Bingo!

Old 07-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #17
On Comet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Santee , California
Fan idea

This is a little long, but I hope it helps.

I have a 2017 Flying Cloud with rear bed and here’s my approach to the refrigerator fan issue…

First, the small computer fan installed at the factory was a “screamer.” I didn’t notice it at the dealer because he’s located next to a six-lane freeway. At home, however, I could hear it 50 feet away, while it was facing away from me. And inside the FC, the sound coming through the bulkhead was unbelievable.

Here’s what I did:

1) I located two 200mm low-speed computer fans online for about $30.

2) I then removed the “screamer” and made a cardboard template to fit into the upper vent opening.

3) Next, I got a small sheet of Lexan plastic at my home improvement center and carefully cut both fan holes using a small rotary tool fitted with a cutting bit. I ran the rotary tool at a fairly low speed to avoid melting the plastic.

4) Then I drilled the mounting holes in the Lexan and carefully bowed the Lexan to fit into the vent opening. I used the mounting holes as guides to drill new holes in the aluminum frame of the vent opening.

5) Next, I removed the Lexan and mounted the two fans as shown. I made a wiring harness that connects the two fans together and used crimp-on connectors on the pigtails. I then tested the entire rig by connecting the pigtails to one of the coach batteries. The fans worked the first time!

6] I also put crimp-on connectors on the black and red leads inside the refrigerator compartment that went to the original fan. Then I partially installed the Lexan/fan panel, connected the pigtails, and then fully installed the panel and secured with aluminum sheet metal screws.

7] To aid with airflow when needed, I fabricated a couple of metal prop rods to hold the upper and lower vent doors open.

8] And to keep critters out of the refrigerator compartment I measured the lower vent opening and found online a static cling side window shade used in cars and trucks. I carefully removed the static cling liner without damaging the screen material and it fits the lower vent opening like it was custom made! (I remove this and stow when the lower vent cover can remain closed.)

The fans are activated by the refrigerator thermocouple when needed. They are extremely quiet; use very little power (great for boon docking); move more air than the original fan; and both have four small blue LEDs that light up, which makes it easy to find my trailer when walking back to camp from the park ranger’s evening nature talk down at the amphitheater. (Plus they look cool!)

I have a few photos, if I could figure out how to attach them...
Silver Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #18
Teeter5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
conroe , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	316037
teeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #19
Teeter5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
conroe , Texas
This is what I changed for my 2017 25rb
teeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I just purchased the 25' FB twin in early June and been traveling since, recently on Route 101 going south through Oregon and California. I pulled the trailer into many viewing point pull-offs and was able to easily situate the trailer so the dinette directly faced/overlooked the fabulous ocean views. The BR might be bigger but I love the huge cabinet behind the mirror that lifts up and away plus the long storage shelf directly beneath it. I had a window in my previous 19' Bambi and was forever pulling the shade down every time I used the BR - so why the heck have a window there?
I wanted a gas oven so that meant no microwave option available for my model (you can have both in the RB twin). I'm still looking for a small microwave to store in a lower cabinet.
Lastly, my model has a huge exterior storage area on the front end beneath the beds - I do not find it particularly hard to get stuff in and out of it and I like that it is close to the hitch area. I do still find myself occasionally standing at the wrong end of the trailer when trying to enter it - ha!
Just my inputs as a current user.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote