RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
FC Seat back snap connection opinions?(2021)

We have a 2021 FC 25FBT on order. We had a chance to look at another customers new unit at the dealer to make sure we were ok with the interior finished in person. The seat cushion backs are two part and the rear portion is attached to the interior wall with a single centered snap. The front and back cushions are attached together with Velcro. Not being familiar with the newer models (were in a 2014 22 Sport), I’m curious if these snap attachments are new for 2021?

Second question and more importantly what do folks think of this attachment? I was expecting a Velcro attach. I was able to sit on the bench seat and the “ loose” snap attachment allows the back upright cushion to rotate a little, which seems to make it way more comfortable.

The downside is that the seat cushions are so lightly retained that they flop around a bit and give the initial impression of poor quality.

What’s the option of those of you that have this seat back attachment configuration?
irush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:18 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
We have the snaps on our 25FCFBT. More often than not, they pop off going down the road. On rare occasions we've found the cushions on the floor after a particularly rough stretch of highway.
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Arkansas
Quite the opposite I’m afraid. The snap configuration shows how Airstream has engineered the smallest of details in their trailers. I believe that the snaps serve 2 purposes.

1. The snaps on the back cushions in the dinette area allow for some movement away from the wall when pulling back the wrap around curtains. If they were Velcro’d in place you would not be able to bring them out away from the wall.

2. Condensation on the aluminum walls and windows in cold weather is an issue you will deal with. Seat cushions that are loosely attached allow airflow between the wall and the cushion and help keep mold from forming on the back side of them.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
I know we have the snaps in our 2015. The airflow in cold weather mentioned above is huge. Two of our snaps have lost some of their "snap" over the years and almost always come undone when towing. Now we just stash them under the table to keep them from flying around. Not at all a big deal to us.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Ours is a 2014, with snaps, never a problem.

One back cushion, at the end by the fridge, had nothing. That one always fell during travel. We added some velcro and that cured it.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
Quite the opposite I’m afraid. The snap configuration shows how Airstream has engineered the smallest of details in their trailers. I believe that the snaps serve 2 purposes.

1. The snaps on the back cushions in the dinette area allow for some movement away from the wall when pulling back the wrap around curtains. If they were Velcro’d in place you would not be able to bring them out away from the wall.

2. Condensation on the aluminum walls and windows in cold weather is an issue you will deal with. Seat cushions that are loosely attached allow airflow between the wall and the cushion and help keep mold from forming on the back side of them.
Great point on the moisture. In our 22Fb we pull all the cushion backs and replaced with throw pillows. Those cushions were very upright and rigid. That change means we never experienced and moisture build up.

Thanks to everyone for the insight.
irush is offline   Reply With Quote