Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Considering 2018 FC 27FB Twin - advice please

Hello, forum members, my wife and I are looking to join the Airstream community by purchasing a used 2018 FC 27FB Twin. We would be very interested in any advice, concerns or issues to verify that folks with experience might have with this trailer. Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Cab 4x4 with the towing package. The maximum tow weight for this vehicle is 8,100 lbs vs the gross vehicle max weight of the trailer of 7,600 lbs. We plan to install a trailer brake controller (not sure of make/model yet), the truck is prewired for one, mirror extenders (not sure of make/model yet) and a sway control hitch (considering BlueOxTowBar Sway Pro Weight Distribution Hitch). Thanks in advance for any advice we should be considering.
DED56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DED56 View Post
Hello, forum members, my wife and I are looking to join the Airstream community by purchasing a used 2018 FC 27FB Twin. We would be very interested in any advice, concerns or issues to verify that folks with experience might have with this trailer. Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Cab 4x4 with the towing package. The maximum tow weight for this vehicle is 8,100 lbs vs the gross vehicle max weight of the trailer of 7,600 lbs. We plan to install a trailer brake controller (not sure of make/model yet), the truck is prewired for one, mirror extenders (not sure of make/model yet) and a sway control hitch (considering BlueOxTowBar Sway Pro Weight Distribution Hitch). Thanks in advance for any advice we should be considering.
We just purchased our 5th Airstream yesterday. The 27' is a nice trailer, it's actually 28' and the GVW is only 300 lbs more than the 25'. Your truck should be fine, with the only issue being down very steep grades and braking, but simply set yourself up properly at the top by lowering your gearing and don't ride the brakes.

We like the Pro Pride hitch, but $3,000 and almost no used ones around. We have run the Equalizer hitch in the past and will do so on this 28' and we are going to tow it with a Ford F150, set up for towing.

The key to me in towing well in excess of 150,000 miles is don't get in situations over your head - slow is always best when in situations one is not comfortable with. People are inpatient, but so be it.

One point I've always done is we travel as often as possible with only a little in the holding tanks, it adds to stability a bit, but also if too full your pulling more weight than one needs to. We also don't over load the trailer with stuff, we certainly used to, but no longer. We've towed with half tons, 3/4 tons and full one ton and all Airstreams, we prefer the F350 one ton, but I also use the truck daily so we have gone back to the half ton and we know it's not the "best" choice, but it has worked and we are confident it will this time as well.

Enjoy
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you're planning to bring extra gear, you may have some payload limit issues otherwise you'll be fine. You likely have replaced the tires on the truck by now. They should be LT with some extra load capacity. The stiff sidewalls will improve stability. Your hitch choice will be a good match for your set-up.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new AS!

We are always glad to have fellow streamers!

You might want to consider joining the AS Club to maximize your involvement in the AS community. It's a great place to learn from those with more experience.

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We also have a Tundra (2014 5.7 crew cab)and a 2019 27 foot Airstream.
This is our 3rd Airstream (first two traded when they were involved in accidents. First had a 22 sport, and then a 25)

We have towed all 3 with an Equalizer hitch which we find completely satisfactory for our needs. We do extensive trips into the West and have been to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Canada and find the combination of the Equalizer and the great tow package on the Tundra a fine combination. You will want to (if you haven't already ) learn about using tow-haul mode, and how to downshift the Tundra when going down hill. Great control with hardly touching the brakes. There is an online Tundra forum similar to Airforums that has lots of info.

I highly recommend the McKesh tow mirrors with the convex spots on each side. These are purchased on the Hensley Hitch website. These were the third set of mirrors we tried. No wiggling and great field of vision. Once you learn how to attach them, it take about 1 minute for each one. We do tuck a couple of those foam beer cozies under the straps against the doors to keep the straps from humming if it is windy.

Yes to making sure you have a good set of tires and have kept up on the Tundra fluid maintenance.

You will also need to pay attention to payload. That is the shortcoming of then Tundra vs some other vehicles. There will be a yellow sticker on the driver door frame listing the specific payload for your specific actual vehicle.

If the trailer doesn't have the rear view camera, I would add one. This is our first trailer with one. What an improvement. Makes it much easier to keep track of multiple lanes when doing city driving. Makes it easier to back into sites as well.

Pay attention to how much and where you load items in the trailer and the bed of the truck. As long as you are reasonable we have not found any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	369678  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Thank you!

To all those that have responded so far, thank you very much. I didn’t know what expectations were reasonable for this forum but am amazed at the rapid and high quality responses. I appreciate the confirmation on some aspects and the valuable guidance on how to move forward avoiding pitfalls. You guys are great and I appreciate you!
Old 06-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I had a Tundra pulling a 2015 25’ FC twin. Traded it for a Ram 2500 Hemi because I way exceeded truck payload and rear axle limits. Also the cruise control kept disengaging every time going up slight grades. I do miss the smaller Tundra but had concerns with breaking an axle if I hit a pothole. The ram is kind of big and I don’t like using it as my daily driver. But, I chose the safety factor over the convenience. regarding your choice of bed configuration, my wife and I are so happy with our twin beds. It offers more living and storage space in the airstream. We usually only travel for a week or two at a time and can snuggle in our king size bed when we get home.
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
You do not have to go much further than the first reply. "You will probably be fine except for going down steep grades". Than as you read the rest of the replies, you will almost certainly exceed payload if you put a normal amount of gear in. Lots of people have Tundras and love them but they always say they are on the edge regarding their capacity to tow anything over a 25 footer.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Wichita , Kansas
Fuel Capacity

FWIW - I have a 2019 GMC 1500 AT4 6.2 24 Gal capacity and just completed a 2000 mile trip. We traveled through western KS, Ne and SD. No issues at all other than than I wish I had purchased a 2500 Diesel purely for mileage and fuel capacity. We had to stop every 2 hours to be sure we did not run short on fuel. Our trailer is a 2018 25" International Fwd Twin.
Huskerlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Sounds like you will have a great combo!
Enjoy the ride!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
My wife and I have a 27FB International Signature and tow with our 2014 Tundra Crew max 5.7liter. We use a Equalizer hitch. All said above is true. Easy to exceed payload if not careful, particularly with 3 good sized storage compartments. I also have a topper which adds more weight. Don't expect much more than 10.7 miles per gal if you travel at 70mph like I do; not much different if going slower. I use the CIPA Custom towing mirrors from Amazon. They fit on tight so no vibration which you can get from some brands. We have push button tilt in mirrors so they still tilt with the towing mirrors attached. We also have the Prodigy P2 brake control, which I love. Other than that, hope you have a great towing experience.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I think Hensley has reconditioned hitches for sale at a reduced price. They have a750 and 1400# model. Call them @ 810-658-0006 and ask for Terry in customer service.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Truck feedback

Thanks for the input on the truck vs trailer size/weight issue. My truck is 10 years old now and I had planned to replace it in a year or two anyway so can pull it forward with a big hardship. The replacement was either going to be another Tundra or 3/4 ton from GMC, Ford or Dodge. Given the concerns I’ll give more consideration to going with a 3/4 ton. For a 27’ trailer will a Diesel engine provide enough benefit over gasoline to justify the extra $10k in price and 30% in fuel cost?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'm towing 7000-7300 in my 25'. I have a Ram 2500 Cummings and haul it near capacity so combined weight is 15,700-16,100. I get 14.3 mpg at 65 mph on the gentle mid west and south interstates. The large brakes, beefy transmission and exhaust brake along with the programming makes accelerating and decelerating so pleasant both on the interstate, exiting and on the backroads with changing speed limits. Out west, and also on the back highways the exhaust brake and transmission programming is exemplary compared to towing with a gasoline engine. When I have to brake, the combination is fantastic and the stock brake controller programming just adds to it. Going up grades is also a breeze. even at 40 on the steep windy narrow roads, where you're on and off the accelerator the transmission warms but just a bit, normally runs at 167 degrees but even after over an hour at 40-45 of windy steep uphill it never got above 198 edit, sorry 188

Not sure if all this justifies the diesel, but I likely won't go back to gas, even though changing the fuel filters/separators and dealing with copious volumes of sooty oil is a pain.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Take a good long look at an F-250. I love mine with the 6.2 gas engine. Now they’re coming with a bigger engine, and I want to trade up, but can’t justify it because my current truck is just that awesome!
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #16
Texas Traveler

2017 26' Flying Cloud
GEORGETOWN , Texas
I’ve got a 26 U and I taught with a 2017 Ford expedition heavy duty tow package and I took their Toyota tires off the car when I bought it and put Missions on.

We have been as far as California Idaho Yellowstone national park Tennessee, Cincinnati Ohio Sturgis Michigan Chicago, Niagara Falls, Boston, lower main at Kennebunkport and upper main at Bar Harbor and we have had no issues whatsoever pulling our trailer and we use an equalizer hitch store of the dogs in the two backseats everything else in the back and by the way the expedition has right adjustable shocks so after about a mile or two it levels off the hitch and the body
Tom Steinhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I highly recommend the McKesh tow mirrors with the convex spots on each side. These are purchased on the Hensley Hitch website. These were the third set of mirrors we tried. No wiggling and great field of vision. Once you learn how to attach them, it take about 1 minute for each one. We do tuck a couple of those foam beer cozies under the straps against the doors to keep the straps from humming if it is windy.

I use McKesh mirrors also. I’m quite happy with them although I might buy Milencos for the next tow vehicle.

You can also keep the straps from humming by putting a single twist in each one before hooking it to the bottom of the door.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Take a good long look at an F-250. I love mine with the 6.2 gas engine. Now they’re coming with a bigger engine, and I want to trade up, but can’t justify it because my current truck is just that awesome!
JMynes you have almost exactly what I think is my "sweet spot" in the F250. I have not had an Airstream prior, we are shopping now, but if/when we get one I will almost certainly tow it with an F-250. I keep going back and forth between the cost burden of diesel. Lots of posts about "worth every dime" if towing in the mountain west. Then I read others that say the 6.2L won't win any prize or race, but will perform just fine. Have you been in the mountain west with yours ? Can you share any perspective on performance in mountain/high elevation ?

Thanks !!!
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Thanks again everyone for all the helpful guidance.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DED56 View Post
Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Cab 4x4 with the towing package. The maximum tow weight for this vehicle is 8,100 lbs vs the gross vehicle max weight of the trailer of 7,600 lbs. We plan to install a trailer brake controller (not sure of make/model yet), the truck is prewired for one, mirror extenders (not sure of make/model yet)
After MUCH research, today I ordered a set of Trail Ridge Tow Mirrors. I've been using a set of CIPA mirrors, and although mostly they're okay, they don't stay in position very well, I lost one on I-77 last year.
1A Auto has the best price, and they shipped today.
https://www.1aauto.com/2007-19-toyot...e/i/trmrp00031
I've always used the Tekonsha P-3 brake controller. It's plug and play with the Tundra if you add the matching cable. (3017)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ae181b8b50dd4681a2ac8fbb3108f018_490.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	371260  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote