Old 02-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
FB 27 twin owner here

We (my wife and I, and our dog) fulltimed for 8 months in 2015-2016 not long after we bought our trailer. We have since taken some extended trips, as much as 2 months at at a time.

Being 6'4", I was attracted to the twin version because I'm significantly taller than a so-called RV Queen is long. By contrast, the twins are extra-long, which suits me fine. The twins also have great under-bed storage spaces that are easily accessible. And, with my height being an issue, the fact that the standing area between the beds is on centerline gives us more useful standing room than the perimeter standing room around a centrally located Queen, given that the overhead there is curved.

Our camping preferences are state/national parks and other scenic areas. Most of the time, the view from the rear of the trailer (where the dinette is) beats the one from the front. A spectacular example of this is the privately-owned Malibu Beach RV parks, which is one a cliff above the Pacific Coast Highway and the beach. The back-in oceanfront sites offer what literally is a $10M view (the approximate minimum cost for a residential property with that same view). So, it's nice to see that while sitting at the dinette. We never found the rear placement of the door to be a problem at any site.

We do not work from the trailer, so I can't comment on that question. Although, it seems that the 30-foot trailers with the separate dinette along the side might be best for that purpose if you want a separate work area.

Other features of the FC 27 that attracted us were: the provision of a complete propane gas range/oven (not just a cooktop) along with a microwave; a separate stall for the shower with a door not a curtain; and more outside storage compartments. Access to the front outside storage compartment is partially obstructed by the tension towers of the hitch, but we still can use if for storing wheel chocks, a garden hose, the breaker bar and wrench for the hitch and 2 collapsable chairs. One front side compartment holds the power cable and water hoses; the other holds leveling blocks and the support for the sewer hose plus another collapsable chair.

I never thought about the majority of opening windows being on the opposite side from the awning. It just wasn't an issue for us. At the back of the trailer, the door functions as an opening on the curb side; and there's an opening window on that side in the bedroom.

In over 40,000 miles of trailering -- some on rather dubious roads -- we have not experienced the front bending that some have mentioned. Our TV is a half ton pickup with a ProPride hitch, installed by our dealer. We use enough tension to eliminate "porpoising" on the road, and our TV is level. I think we have popped something like 5 interior rivets during our ownership, so the trailer is not getting beat to death.

DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #42
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
27FB FC - we generally back up to scenic spots such as lakes @ State Parks - with dinette @ back where we sit is where the view is...

PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Wichita Falls , TX
new trailer

I have a FC27fbt. It's layout is preferable except for the dining table. It is a hassle for the person on the long side of the couch to watch TV. Planning on putting in a shorter table or eliminating the table all together and adding a sitting area. The 27 and 28 overall length of trailer is about the same.
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
We went through a similar decision process and ended up with a FC30 RB. After traveling a bit, I ripped out the L shaped couch/bed and put a couple of small laz e boy recliners in the front. If I had to do it over I would look at Airstreams model with the recliners. If it’s just two, you will need a comfortable place to sit and the FC couch is not that. At least for us. Also, the 30 foot length has been no problem towing or parking. We have a nice custom sized topper for the dinette bed when the grandchildren stay with us. Enjoy your buying journey.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Morongo Valley , California
One is a foot longer and the other is 2 feet longer.
Alan 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:13 AM   #46

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 117 View Post
One is a foot longer and the other is 2 feet longer.
You are incorrect. The 27 and 28 are within an inch of the same length, each about a foot longer than the 26. The different nominal lengths are just to differentiate the floorplans.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:47 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You are incorrect. The 27 and 28 are within an inch of the same length, each about a foot longer than the 26. The different nominal lengths are just to differentiate the floorplans.
In fact, in a twist of irony, the 27FB is actually 28 feet, and the 28RB is 27ft 11in.

With the 26RB coming in at 26ft 11in. Bottom line, you won't notice the difference.

We looked at all the models on a whim two years ago (we had a 23D ... now 23CB) while doing some minor maintenance work. We weren't taken by the 28, so we didn't really consider it, but the 26U/26RB was the one unit that we struggled with. We loved everything about it except the kitchen area. My wife felt it was too closed in and too dark, but we loved the front seating area. In the end, we went with the 27FB and love it.

If our sales guy had been a bit better and was able to show us more of the features in the 26U at the time we bought our 23D, we probably would have bought the 26U. That said, we loved the 23D and now love our 27FB.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga adkins View Post
I have a FC27fbt. It's layout is preferable except for the dining table. It is a hassle for the person on the long side of the couch to watch TV. Planning on putting in a shorter table or eliminating the table all together and adding a sitting area. The 27 and 28 overall length of trailer is about the same.

And that's exactly what the 28+ floorplans give you - a couch in the proper place! Same size trailer.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Arkansas
This particular topic is always a great read. Lots of relevant comments and justifications as to why AS Owners purchased their particular models.

My DW and I (empty nesters) have lived in our 2nd AS (27FBQ FC) for the past 2 years and 4 months.

We spent nearly a year looking while we full timed in our 22FB before we came to a decision. We spent many afternoons in one or more models trying to decide which model best suited our needs.

We chose the 27FB because it has.....

1. A larger closet.
2. A microwave, gas oven (a must), cooktop and a pantry.
3. A view out the back while eating inside.
4. The ability to accommodate an overnight guest without putting down the dining table.

We chose the queen bed configuration because......

1. We didn’t like sleeping against the side of the AS during the cold winter months in our 22FB Sport.

2. Making the bed with 3 sides against the AS was a PITA!

3. You can’t see the view out the back of the AS from a twin bed like you can see it from the queen bed.

4. The queen bed doubles as our TV viewing lounge.

A lot of owners site the ease of dressing in the twin bed configuration and that it feels bigger with the long hallway. The reality is....

a) The entire AS is the bedroom unless you are traveling with kids. I routinely dress at the lounge while my DW stays in bed for a few more minutes of sleep.

b) Your physical size plays a roll in your ability to get dressed in the space beside the queen bed.

Because it has a somewhat restrictive access we keep seldom used items in the front storage compartment.

Water hoses and filters are kept in a tote. Extension chords, rope light, coax cables, surge protector, etc. are kept in a different tote. Both totes fit under the dinette when down for travel and under the AS when parked. The 50 amp power chord is stored just inside the door. It is the last item placed inside when breaking camp and is the first item out when setting up.

The comment someone made about being tall is not one I have experience with at just 5’9” but I can prove with the scars on my bald head that 5’9” is the perfect height to hit an open window on any side or end unless they are opened to the highest setting.

We did not choose the 30’ Classic because....

1. We noticed that most campers staying in RV’s went in at night and never came out. We felt that if it was too comfortable inside, we too would become “stay in at night” people. We are always inviting our weekend neighbors over for the #SoloStoveRanger camp fires.

2. It would have required purchasing a 3/4 ton truck. We safely tow our 27FBQ with the wife’s daily driver 1/2 ton GMC Sierra SLT with the Max Tow Package.

3. The $50K difference between what we have vs. the 30’ Classic and 3/4 ton truck trimmed out the same as our 1/2 ton.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedave View Post
Greetings Jim,
I'd like to make a case for an FC28 RBQ.
But first, I'm a little surprised that no one has asked about your tow vehicle.
There's quite a bit of difference in tongue weight, especially between the 26 and 28 ft. If you aren't planning on getting a new TV, you might be limited as to the length/weight you can manage.

So, we chose the FC28 with a rear bed queen because of its storage capacity, layout, aesthetics, and its value for the money. The other 28' models were all more expensive, largely because of the interior "appointments". Storage space is appreciably less, and the upper cabinet access is limited due to the way the doors open.

In all, we feel that the FC28 has the most efficient use of space without the cost of "decor".

Good luck,
Dave
Hello, Dave, and thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Regarding the TV, it doesn't exist yet, at least not something that would pull more than our T@B 400. We're still in the VERY early stages of exploring here, so if and when the time comes to take the plunge, our plan is to choose the trailer we like first and then get a vehicle that will safely and comfortably pull it. That will likely mean a 3/4 ton pickup of some variety.

I'm drawn to the Flying Cloud line for a few reasons. First, it's the least expensive double axel offering. Second, I really like the interior aesthetics; the Globetrotter line is lovely but significantly more expensive, and the International is a bit stark for my taste, plus the sliding door thing on the overhead storage just doesn't do it for me. Third, as you said, it seems to split the difference best between space and decor.

It's interesting that the 26, 27, and 28 are pretty much all the same length when you get right down to it, and we haven't ruled out a 25 yet. We'll need to see all of them in person to decide, but for a trailer that will have to pull double duty as an office, the idea of the separate dinette workspace in the 28 gives it a unique advantage.

Jim
jameskuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
This particular topic is always a great read. Lots of relevant comments and justifications as to why AS Owners purchased their particular models.

We chose the 27FB because it has.....

1. A larger closet.
2. A microwave, gas oven (a must), cooktop and a pantry.
3. A view out the back while eating inside.
4. The ability to accommodate an overnight guest without putting down the dining table.

We chose the queen bed configuration because......

1. We didn’t like sleeping against the side of the AS during the cold winter months in our 22FB Sport.
2. Making the bed with 3 sides against the AS was a PITA!
3. You can’t see the view out the back of the AS from a twin bed like you can see it from the queen bed.
4. The queen bed doubles as our TV viewing lounge.

A lot of owners site the ease of dressing in the twin bed configuration and that it feels bigger with the long hallway. The reality is....

a) The entire AS is the bedroom unless you are traveling with kids. I routinely dress at the lounge while my DW stays in bed for a few more minutes of sleep.
b) Your physical size plays a roll in your ability to get dressed in the space beside the queen bed.
TW - Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply.

All of the reasons you cited are what's keeping the 27 in the running.

An oven isn't a consideration for the way we camp *now*, but it sure would be if we were away for more than a week at a time. Most of the other models make you give up the oven in exchange for a microwave/convection combination, and I'm not sure how you'd bake more than a tiny pizza or a half dozen cookies at one time in those. The big pantry and big wardrobe a significant plusses as well.

I'm very familiar with making up a bed that is inaccessible from three sides - that's how our current trailer is configured. Again, for the amount of camping we do now, it's fine - but it's not something I'd want in the AS. That's why none of the corner bed floorpans made the list.

One thing in your comments concerns me a bit. You said that one of the reasons you choose the queen bed was so that you didn't have to sleep against a cold exterior wall. I know that aluminum is a good conductor and a poor insulator by nature, but with the insulation between the inside and outside layers, are the interior surfaces still cold even when the trailer is being heated?

Jim
jameskuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #52

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskuzman View Post
~~~
One thing in your comments concerns me a bit. You said that one of the reasons you choose the queen bed was so that you didn't have to sleep against a cold exterior wall. I know that aluminum is a good conductor and a poor insulator by nature, but with the insulation between the inside and outside layers, are the interior surfaces still cold even when the trailer is being heated?

Jim
The aluminum ribs that join the inner and outer skins into the semi-monocoque structural system really conduct a lot of heat, even though there's a thin layer of something between the ribs and the inner skin. On a cold night, the inner skin is noticeably cold. I tuck the blanket and sheet down between the mattress and the wall and that works well for me, but "active sleepers" who pull that loose might still bump against the skin and get a startling chill. Some 70s trailers with twins had upholstered pads that hung along the wall there for this issue.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
["One thing in your comments concerns me a bit. You said that one of the reasons you choose the queen bed was so that you didn't have to sleep against a cold exterior wall. I know that aluminum is a good conductor and a poor insulator by nature, but with the insulation between the inside and outside layers, are the interior surfaces still cold even when the trailer is being heated?"]

Hi again,
Yes, the outside walls are cold, or cold enough for condensation to occur–which, BTW, will be a problem when camping from about 40º F and below. Perhaps you've already experienced this with your T@B.
While Airstreams insulation may be better than that in other RVs, I'm not that impressed with it.
We can burn through a lot of fuel to keep the trailer warm enough to avoid condensation. Consequently, we try to keep the temp to 60º (lower at night), and keep the bath and shower vents open a crack.
We also occasionally use a small portable propane heater, but it adds even more moisture…
Dave
Hope you're not getting TMI…
Old 02-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #54
MQF
MobileQuarantineFacility

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Charles Town , West Virginia
We have a 26u queen which just remodeled to twins. If we had it to do over from the beginning our choices would be in order:

28 queen
28 twins
26 twins
27 queen
27 twins

The 2 separate seating areas in the 28 is very attractive and has many options for modification.

26 twins some compromises but amazing bathroom. Comfortable couch/dinette. No left to right queens for us ever again.

27 very popular layout does not feel cramped.
MQF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
No thread is complete without pics!

Here's a screen shot from the 2019 FC manual.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:59 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
And here are the tongue weights. To everyone who says the 28' model has the highest tongue weight: that's not actually correct. All the 26+ trailers are within spitting distance of each other and the 26' model has the highest relative tongue weight! IMO it's not a deciding factor. Our 28 is listed at 890 per the sticker, YMMV due to dealers options (I'm guessing our 2nd AC adds a little weight to the back and lifts the front.)

Old 02-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedave View Post
While Airstreams insulation may be better than that in other RVs, I'm not that impressed with it.
We can burn through a lot of fuel to keep the trailer warm enough to avoid condensation.
When we camp in the cold, we tend to use an electric heater inside. This doesn't use any fuel. However, it's not the perfect solution and you still end up with condensation inside, but since we don't do any boondocking, we always have electric available. We have two of them, only when our daughter camps with us and uses the front bed do we use both of them at the same time. However, that's the limit on that circuit. You cannot use much more on that circuit or you will overload it.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQF View Post
No left to right queens for us ever again.
We've always had either the corner bed or parallel to the trailer walls. What's the issue with the horizontal layout (left/right)?

-Wayne
Old 02-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
We have learned the hard way that getting and keeping the interior at a temperature above the dew point keeps the condensation to a minimum. We use 2 ceramic electric heaters with preset temperature settings and keep them running 65 degrees F in the BR and 70 degrees F at the dinette. The me
Old 02-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
We have learned the hard way that getting and keeping the interior at a temperature above the dew point keeps the condensation to a minimum. We use 2 ceramic electric heaters with preset temperature settings and keep them running 65 degrees F in the BR and 70 degrees F at the dinette. The me

We have learned the hard way that getting and keeping the interior at a temperature above the dew point keeps the condensation to a minimum. We use 2 ceramic electric heaters with preset temperature settings and keep them running 65 degrees F in the Bedroomand 70 degrees F at the dinette during the day and raise both 5 degrees F at night.

Our furnace, set at 60 degrees F serves as a backup in the event we have a loss of power.

Since I’m bald, we also have a double layer of Reflectix (which I already had) at the head of the bed, but you could use anything like a full head of hair, pillow, foam sleeping pad or sleeping bag to keep that cold surface from direct contact with your head while you sleep.