Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Comparing Flying Cloud 26RB, 27FB, 28RB

Hello, everyone -

Brand-new forum member here, and really enjoying the wealth of information and the friendly vibe from this community.

First things first:

1) We're just in the tire-kicking state of Airstream ownership, as our T@B 400 is working out very well for our current lifestyle which includes weekend camping and short getaways, plus a bit of remote working for just a few days at a time

2) We have yet to explore all of the models in person which I understand is absolutely necessary to get a first-hand feel for things and which we'll rectify soon, so I'm working mostly from the website and brochures at this point

We would be looking at an Airstream for some more extended trips - a week or two or three at a time - that would not only provide a bit more living space, but critically, would provide enough space for two remote workers to set up laptops and spread out a bit more than we can in the teardrop.

I'm drawn to the 26RB, 27FB, and 28RB, all for different reasons (imagine that!).

The 26RB is attractive for the large dinette and table, which seems to provide the most "office" space and a high degree of flexibility. I also get the appeal of the all-in-one bath, which seems much more convenient than having to partition off the front/back of the trailer to merge the toilet/sink and the shower into a single space.

The 27FB appeals to me because of the galley design, the large closet, and a lounge in addition to the dinette, but the big draw is the front bedroom. When camping, the best view always seems to be toward the rear of the trailer, which is sort of wasted when it's seen from the bedroom which is typically unoccupied until it's time to sleep.

The 28RB has a smaller dinette (tighter seating) but the table itself seems to be about the same size as the 27FB, and you do get a seating area that's separate from the dinette. I like the idea of eating/working at the table but not necessarily being "stuck" there for reading, watching TV, or relaxing.

Anyone who works from the road and has to make their trailer do double duty as both home and office care to offer their opinions?

Likewise anyone who has had (or wish they had) separate dining and lounging areas, or wants to weigh in on the advantages of a front bedroom floorpan?

With thanks in advance,

Jim
jameskuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hey there, James.
Don't discount the benefits of a front dinette/rear bedroom. The view isn't always to the rear of the trailer and it is quite nice for rallies to be able to sit at the front dinette and see the action or wait to see the action and to join in on it by seeing it out in other campsites of the other rally-goers.
Also sometimes the front door is nice if you are at a campsite with a drop-off at the rear of the campsite and trailer. Sometimes that drop-off can make for a very inconvinient excersise of trying to get in and out of the rear door trailer. There are certainly benefits and drawbacks to both layouts. I remember one rally at a vintage car race where we backed in to the track and we watched the morning races from our beds (twin beds) out the rear pano window. Granted the rear dinette would do the same but it was fun to roll over, open the blinds and watch the action from bed.
We do have a 26 and love it. The huge front dinette is great and we have about a half dozen table configurations including the two leaves that come with the trailer in addition to a round table I made and a Basecamp small table & leg I bought. Also the large U-shaped dinette is great for sitting 4 - 6 people and chatting.
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I almost always work when I travel. I'm in IT and generally have some weekend tasks even when we're on a short trip... the 6-week trip last summer was more work time than vacation time.

I really like the big U-lounge dinette/seating in our 26U (which now would be designated a 26RBT.) The dog loves it too, because he gets to curl up at my hip while I'm working rather than on his pad by my desk when we're home. Getting the dinette to work well as a bed required a bit of tweaking, there was enough slop for the tabletop to work its way off the little support ledges, which I solved by putting clear bumpers designed to cushion cabinet doors and drawers or to be non-marring "feet."

I had to upgrade the attachment point for the clamps that hold the table halves together (drilled out the particle board and glued in solid dowel pieces to screw into) which was a bit fiddle but the fix has held for nearly 2 years so far.

I do not love the macerator toilet, it uses lots of water (to the point that the black tank fills almost as quickly as the gray.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
Hey there, James.
Don't discount the benefits of a front dinette/rear bedroom. The view isn't always to the rear of the trailer.

Also sometimes the front door is nice if you are at a campsite with a drop-off at the rear of the campsite and trailer. Sometimes that drop-off can make for a very inconvenient exercise of trying to get in and out of the rear door trailer.
Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply, Alan. I take your point about the view, and I suppose it ultimately depends on the site. There is something to be said about feeling more a part of the activity when sitting up front.

I never even considered the possible inconvenience of getting in/out of a rear door, but now that you mention it, I can think of several sites from this past summer where it would have been problematic.

Jim
Old 02-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I almost always work when I travel. I'm in IT and generally have some weekend tasks even when we're on a short trip... the 6-week trip last summer was more work time than vacation time.

I really like the big U-lounge dinette/seating in our 26U (which now would be designated a 26RBT.)

I do not love the macerator toilet, it uses lots of water (to the point that the black tank fills almost as quickly as the gray.)
DKB - Thank you for taking time to reply and share.

Dinettes seem to be rather polarizing: Some people love them, some really dislike them. Were it not for needing workspace, I wouldn't even consider the size and configuration of the dinette as we tend to eat most meals outdoors anyway. In fact, in decent weather, I usually work outdoors at a picnic table with a pop-up awning, but I need the ability to move inside when the weather doesn't cooperate or it's simply too hot/cold to stay comfortable.

I've heard both good and bad things about the macerator toilet, but you're the first to bring up water usage as a factor. Thank you for pointing that out. I prefer full hookup sites for anything longer than 2-3 days (I'm not much of a boondocker) but that's not always a possibility so this is valuable information.

Jim
Old 02-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Ringgold , Georgia
Hi Jim, we looked at the whole Airstream lineup and came to the conclusion that the 26u queen was the best choice for the two of us. Second place was the FC30 bunk but decided against that for now. We love the all in one bathroom in both of these units. Yes the 26 has a macerator toilet but so does our boat and Airstream was kind enough to put a removable panel for easy maintenance so don’t be put off by that. It’s tongue heavy but we tow her with a F250 so no problem. Also if you’re going to be camping in the summer I highly recommend two air conditioner units on any of the sizes you’re looking at. Good luck!
boatdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Our 2 cents for the 27FB

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum and Airstream Community!

My dear wife's best friend has a T@B 400. We met up with her last August at Rocky Mountain National Park. We traded up from a FC23FB to a 27' FB Twin Globetrotter and are happy with the dinette, large galley and plenty of storage. The one "wish" would be for more room around the toilet.

Some benefits we've found with the separate shower is someone can use the toilet while the shower is occupied. Plus, with curtains by the beds and past the shower, you can have privacy when needed.

We did find the rear dinette nice when backed into a site along a river in Estes Park. The twin bed layout makes the trailer seem much larger and gives you a place to change plus the dog can sleep in the middle (but most of the time sleeps on my side).

Each layout have their own benefits and character. If possible, find a dealer with with each and spend some time in each one. Make a list of things you like and take photos while you're there. That way you can review the list and make your final decision.

Good luck with your search!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	360498  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Great questions.

We started out with a 22 sport. That was involved in an accident at our storage facility. We traded in that for a 25 FC twin rear bed. Great trailer. That was a big improvement in both comfort and storage. THEN unfortunately we were hit while towing with debris from a passing vehicle and sustained quite a bit of damage to our 25. We then traded again. We looked at another 25 RB (50 amp), the 25 FB, the 26, the 27, and the 28. We landed on a 27 front bed twin, over both the 26 and the 28.

We have 2 adult daughters and will camp with them on extended summer trips (1+ weeks). Otherwise we are using for 2-3 day trips most frequently.

First off, what we didn't like about the others as compared to what we bought.

In the 25, if you have 2 Acs you lose a fan/skylight. Our 25 had 1 AC which was fine most of the time since we tend to camp west in the summers. But it did struggle to keep up if we went south in summer. We felt the the 2 AC 25 was a bit dark inside.

For the 26, I felt like the refrigerator was in the bedroom, and I also didn't like the macerator bathroom or the bathroom location. FWIW the 22 sport had the all in 1 bathroom BUT with an operable window. The 26 bathroom felt a bit claustrophobic.

For the 28, I didn't like its bathroom layout, and particularly felt that the toilet looked hard to clean as to clearances to get down on the floor to wipe up. I felt the booth was small for 4 people and that only 1 side got "the good view". I felt the kitchen was too small and it didn't offer both an oven and microwave. I felt it was less "Airstream-y" and somewhat "mobile-homey" in feel. Probably due to the huge couch looking inside vs the front dinette on most models looking outside.

What we bought-27 FB twin.
What we like about it over the 25, 26,28.
We like the extra 6 inches or so at the feet of the twin beds to stash stuff. Helps keep the shoes and backpacks under control.
We like the double wide closet. This gives enough room for our 2 adult daughters' stuff when they come. When it's just the 2 of us we hardly need it at all.
We like the bigger pantry vs the 25--it holds a lot.
We very much like the split hall bathrooms and 2 curtains --especially with the twin beds. No need to close the window curtains when showering or dressing. Just use the hall curtains for plenty of privacy. Makes it easy to have 1 person nap and another be active.

With the twin beds, you can use as a daybed and easily work on a laptop or use a small table to work.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdreamer View Post
Hi Jim, we looked at the whole Airstream lineup and came to the conclusion that the 26u queen was the best choice for the two of us. Yes the 26 has a macerator toilet but so does our boat and Airstream was kind enough to put a removable panel for easy maintenance so don’t be put off by that. Also if you’re going to be camping in the summer I highly recommend two air conditioner units on any of the sizes you’re looking at. Good luck!
Boatdreamer - Thanks for sharing your experience and taking the time to reply. We do camp in the summer even now (albeit locally) but I would absolutely get the second A/C unit. I can tolerate being chilly but I'm pretty heat intolerant, so adequate cooling is a very important consideration.

Jim
Old 02-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum and Airstream Community!

My dear wife's best friend has a T@B 400. We met up with her last August at Rocky Mountain National Park. We traded up from a FC23FB to a 27' FB Twin Globetrotter and are happy with the dinette, large galley and plenty of storage. The one "wish" would be for more room around the toilet.

Some benefits we've found with the separate shower is someone can use the toilet while the shower is occupied. Plus, with curtains by the beds and past the shower, you can have privacy when needed.

We did find the rear dinette nice when backed into a site along a river in Estes Park. The twin bed layout makes the trailer seem much larger and gives you a place to change plus the dog can sleep in the middle (but most of the time sleeps on my side).

Each layout have their own benefits and character. If possible, find a dealer with with each and spend some time in each one. Make a list of things you like and take photos while you're there. That way you can review the list and make your final decision.

Good luck with your search!
Jeff, thanks for sharing some first-hand experience with the 27FB (and the photo).

As you said, each layout has its ups and downs, including the split v. all-in-one bathroom. It's difficult to imagine how one might work better than the other in anything beyond a theoretical sense, and practically it may not matter at all - you just get used to what you have.

The whole "toilet at an angle" thing *looks* awkward in the diagrams but I'll have to see how that translates when we look first-hand.

Good tips on taking pictures and making notes to avoid the "which model was that?" scenario once you get home :-)

Jim
Old 02-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Jim

As everyone said above there are pros and cons to each. We chose 27 FBQ for all reasons above but didn’t see two beds as a good option for us. With the 27 FBQ the queen is a walk around so no climbing over you partner.

Primary for us is we eat inside as much as out and love the panoramic view while dinning, or working, reading etc. It offers more privacy as well in most cases for where you’re the most active in the trailer.

You really need to go see and sit, lay walk etc in all of them and your choice will become clear.

Have fun
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
We landed on a 27 front bed twin, over both the 26 and the 28.

In the 25, if you have 2 Acs you lose a fan/skylight. Our 25 had 1 AC which was fine most of the time since we tend to camp west in the summers. But it did struggle to keep up if we went south in summer. We felt the the 2 AC 25 was a bit dark inside.

For the 26, I felt like the refrigerator was in the bedroom, and I also didn't like the macerator bathroom or the bathroom location. FWIW the 22 sport had the all in 1 bathroom BUT with an operable window. The 26 bathroom felt a bit claustrophobic.

For the 28, I didn't like its bathroom layout, and particularly felt that the toilet looked hard to clean as to clearances to get down on the floor to wipe up. I felt the booth was small for 4 people and that only 1 side got "the good view". I felt the kitchen was too small and it didn't offer both an oven and microwave. I felt it was less "Airstream-y" and somewhat "mobile-homey" in feel. Probably due to the huge couch looking inside vs the front dinette on most models looking outside.

What we bought-27 FB twin.
What we like about it over the 25, 26,28.
We like the extra 6 inches or so at the feet of the twin beds to stash stuff. Helps keep the shoes and backpacks under control.
We like the double wide closet. This gives enough room for our 2 adult daughters' stuff when they come. When it's just the 2 of us we hardly need it at all.
We like the bigger pantry vs the 25--it holds a lot.
We very much like the split hall bathrooms and 2 curtains --especially with the twin beds. No need to close the window curtains when showering or dressing. Just use the hall curtains for plenty of privacy. Makes it easy to have 1 person nap and another be active.

With the twin beds, you can use as a daybed and easily work on a laptop or use a small table to work.
Piggy Bank, Thanks for taking the time to reply and going through your thought process and the specific reasons why you went with the 27FB.

Much of what you pointed out isn't obvious from the brochure or website, and I'll keep an eye on those particular observations when we see them in person.

In particular I appreciate your observations about the dinette and couch. Looking at the layout with your comments in mind, indeed, one person will get a nice view out the panoramic windows and the other will get a view of the bathroom wall, fridge, and hallway to the bedroom. And I must say I never even considered that with the lounge facing in with no wrap-around at all, you're seeing more trailer than you are nature. Great observation.

I like your suggestion about the twin beds in terms of a bit of extra "office" space too - brilliant idea.

The 26 and 28 each seem to have something unique to offer (large flexible dinette and all-in-one bath in the 26, separate dinette and lounge in the 28) but you also give up some important things (less flexible and darker bath in the 26, pantry, separate microwave, and couch view in the 28).

The 27 looks like it manages compromises better than the other layouts and does more things very well rather than one or two things exceptionally well. It's also the floorpan that really got me thinking about a Flying Cloud in the first place. We'll see how that all holds up in person!

Jim
Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Also look at the different trim levels, we found the international serenity colors much more open feeling, same floor plans for all intents. Assuming budget works.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Jim

As everyone said above there are pros and cons to each. We chose 27 FBQ for all reasons above but didn’t see two beds as a good option for us. With the 27 FBQ the queen is a walk around so no climbing over you partner.

Primary for us is we eat inside as much as out and love the panoramic view while dinning, or working, reading etc. It offers more privacy as well in most cases for where you’re the most active in the trailer.

You really need to go see and sit, lay walk etc in all of them and your choice will become clear.

Have fun
Thank you, Jon.

You hear a lot about how the twin option kind of opens up the view when looking toward the front and beyond and provides additional storage, so it's good to hear someone who likes the FBQ option. We have an (almost) queen in our T@B 400 but it's not a walk around, which makes it tricky to make up and of course there's the middle-of-the-night crawl over thing.

We're looking forward to seeing them all in person, and I think you're right - things will become much clearer once we do so.

Jim
Old 02-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The more I thought about your options, the more I decided to recommend... a Classic 30.
Why? The sofa. If you want to work and live in it, it's the one thing I miss.
All the foam cushions in the 26, 27, 28 don't have enough support, or real comfort. Dinettes are square, people aren't.
If the cost of a Classic is daunting, buy a three yr. old one.
My 26 is three years old, and I consider it better than new!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The more I thought about your options, the more I decided to recommend... a Classic 30.
Why? The sofa. If you want to work and live in it, it's the one thing I miss.
All the foam cushions in the 26, 27, 28 don't have enough support, or real comfort. Dinettes are square, people aren't.
If the cost of a Classic is daunting, buy a three yr. old one.
My 26 is three years old, and I consider it better than new!
Mollysdad - Now there's something I hadn't considered. Oh sure, I've drooled over the Classic (haven't we all?) but indeed, it's way out of budget brand-new.

We're not looking to sell the house and go full time - we have a lot of commitments that would keep us anchored to a permanent home base for anything longer than a week or two at a time - but I take your point on the cushions and dinettes. Thanks for taking the time to chime in!

Jim
Old 02-06-2020, 04:57 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
We picked 28RBT for the following reasons:

Pros
- Twin beds afford a ton of interior space and also exterior storage.
- Having a permanent dinette is great! It doubles as a kitchen counter food prep area, especially for salads, bread, large bowls etc.
- The rear couch has a direct view to the TV, an important detail (IMO the L-shaped couch in the 27 isn't very usable)

Cons
- Kitchen is smaller, the circular counter & storage in the 27ft is nice

Neutral
- 28ft also has extra space at the foot of the beds
- Yes the bench seats are obtuse but the trick of putting pool noodles (or water heater foam pipes) behind the cushions makes them much more comfy
- Turns out the marketing push for 'front' bedroom is made mostly moot by the presence of panoramic windows at both ends of the modern Airstream. It looks the same no matter which way you're facing - beautiful and open!
- It's physically the same size as the "27" ft model. Just as difficult when parking, also just as easy
- Don't care about bathroom layout, we don't live in there

Post-purchase
- No issues with the front end of the trailer buckling! This alone would send me away from the 27FB models... systemic design problem. #changemymind
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Saranac Lake , New York
Hi, We choose the 2019 FC RBT because it seemed to be the smallest trailer that provided a separate seating and dinning area. We are glad we did. Spent 4 months on the road in 2019 and will be spending almost 5 months this year with 2 adults and two Labs. We use the dinette as an officer during the day and that leaves the couch free for nice separation....especially on a rainy day.
Condo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #19
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
30 Classic

we have the separate dinette, removed the reclining sofa and installed reclining chairs for more comfort, the rear bedroom and of course the shower and bathroom are separated by the hall. One consideration, the front bedroom requires the outside access to the under the bed storage be accessed by a door blocked by the propane tanks, not acceptable to us, we use it too much for that hassle. Before you make up your mind you should look really hard at the 30', we like the classic
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
First of all, I would completely agree that you need to look at all the options in the size AS you’re considering. My wife and I traveled for 7 years in a 19 ft Roadtrek and for your same reasons (longer trips and more time in specific spots) brought us looking at AS trailers. I’m 2012 we bought a new FC 28 rear bedroom. Up until this year I was also working while on the road and found the separate dining area and sofa area a critical issue. We totally love the floor plan, including the separate shower and sink/toilet areas. Also the convenience of entering at the front of the rig has been very much appreciated all these years. I also feel the bedroom in back is a quieter option. We are typically in our unit in 4 month increments - about to be longer, hopefully. Originally we heard the complaint about the view from the rear vs the front. We have found that to be a total non issue. In fact I think we are looking out our front at either nice scenery or park activities 9 out of 10 times and would definitely not want our floor plan plan reversed. Anyway - take your time and go with your gut ( we took 2 years and lots of visits to AS dealers before deciding). We love our choice all the way!!
Alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote