Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Denton , Texas
Chemical sensitivity issues and new Flying Cloud

We just bought a new (2017) Flying Cloud 23D/bunk. Two members of the family have significant cases of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. We bought an Airstream because of its good Green ratings and internal air quality, knowing, though, that even with an Airstream there would have to be a period of off-gassing of toxins from the materials inside. We've been airing the unit out every day and spreading the mattresses, pillows, cushions, bedspreads, etc. outside in the sun. The mattress for the main bed seems especially smelly/toxic. We've stopped taking it to the back yard every day for airing out. It's sitting in the garage waiting for summer weather for off-gassing in the hot sunshine, which we assume will be more effective.

Two questions:

1) Any suggestions for how we can replace the two mattresses with organic or non-toxic mattresses?

2) Any suggestions from others who have issues with off-gassing in new vehicles, including new Airstreams? We're just opening up every window and roof vent every day the weather is good.

We look forward to hearing from you folks.

PS: Is there a more general forum where we could post this inquiry? We could not see one in the directory that seemed to be appropriate for this issue.
Walt2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Naturel organic latex mattresses. Google them.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Your in-depth needs may be such that you may want to look at an actual air cleaner to further help. May want to consider something like this? It's designed for marine applications and is about the size of a VCR.

http://www.ultravation.com/odor-cont...r-purifier.php

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I assume you leave the windows and ceiling vents cracked open, and have a couple of small fans running to circulate the air? Not sure any new product put out by a major for-profit corporation is such a good investment with your family's health/allergy MCS issues. The "green" aspect is more about thermal efficiencies IMO, than it is suitability for specific medical needs.

You might also look into putting new slip covers on the seat cushions and backs, along with new foam cushions.

Good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #5

2016 25' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We bought a new FC Airstream in 2015 and found the off gassing became tolerable within a week. But we did buy in the fall so cooler weather (40s- 50s)may have affected the off gassing, the dealer did their prep using scent free cleaners, then I did another thorough clean, we bagged and removed the bedding that came with the trailer, only had a few of the pillows out. And of course very careful about what RV products come in including minimizing plastic. By the next summer it was fine except on hot days when the trailer was closed up.
Our bigger challenge was finding a 'safe' tow vehicle. Cloth seats and some interiors were unbearable for me. But nothing compared to the sickening wall of chemicals from SOBs.
Airstream has been our ticket to freedom and travel with MCS. And it has been for others. We all have different triggers and degrees of reaction. Hope this works out for you.
Silver Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Oro Valley , Arizona
Chemical Sensitivity ideas

We just purchased a 2003 and my husband has Chemical Sensitivity. I was going to order new mattresses as we just had to buy new mattresses at home and found the Loom and Leaf mattresses with the plant foam to work nicely for him. It seems as though the owners just put organic mattresses in, so we are ok there. We will have to reupholster sofa with soy foam and organic fabric though, so you might look into that. We do have a air scrubber in the trailer because we have five of them in our home that have helped immensely. The other post I saw that was a great idea was putting plants in if your trailer is someplace you can maintain them. I would love to have a section on the forums for Chemical Sensitivity suggestions and problems....
Keep us posted on how the offgassing goes!
Ajlawcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ajlawcz that would be a great thread for you to start.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlawcz View Post
. . .
I would love to have a section on the forums for Chemical Sensitivity suggestions and problems....
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Ajlawcz that would be a great thread for you to start.
Good suggestion! Here is the closest sub-forum perhaps, on Dehumdifiers and Ozone Generators:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f431/

The earlier posts are on-topic about air quality.

Once there, just click on "New Thread" at the top left, and you are off to the races! Be careful with the title of the thread, as you cannot go back and edit out typo's once you make the post.

Of course any other forum of your own choosing would be fine, but please let us know where (if) you start a new thread.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Or "bounce up" a level to the Interior Restoration Forum?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlawcz View Post
. . .
We do have a air scrubber in the trailer because we have five of them in our home that have helped immensely.
. . .
Could you please provide a link/source for the air scrubber you use?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We also picked up a new 23D Bunk in December 2016.

I have very sensitive smell and some skin sensitivity. The smell was overwhelming at first. I did what you did, and moved them in and out. It wasn't working.

I started a solar upgrade project and had to remove all the mattresses, cushions, pillows, bedding, etc. only fabric remaining was curtains.

I put them in my basement in a room where they sat for 3 months. That room small was the same at first. Now it smells normal. It has high airflow and heap filter.

I put mattresses back in trailer, no smell. I think it was the newness of the cushion and material.

I second the latex mattress mentioned above. All I need is a 3 inch latex topper and it does the trick for me.

Good luck with it. Enjoy your AS!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Oro Valley , Arizona
Air scrubber

The name of the airscrubbers that we have found most useful are the Austin Air Healthmates. You can google them for best price, but they're around $500. We have tried a variety but those had the largest air exchange. The other huge help for my husband was doing Dynamic Neural Retraining. He was pretty much housebound and the program has him about 75/80 percent.https://retrainingthebrain.com/ As far as mattresses, I just heard about a place here in Tucson that will make custom mattresses, I think with wool so I am going to check them out. Will keep you posted!
Ajlawcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I remember the old days when a rv would burn your eyes and nose when first entered after being closed up in hot weather.

Luckily times have changed and formaldehyde has all but been removed from most construction materials.

Have not noticed any such odors or fumes in our new 26U...it was built last December and not seen hot weather yet but I don't expect any problems,

Some people have more sensitivity to these chemical smells so I understand your experience may be different...just be glad it's not 1970 anymore!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote