Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Jax Beach , Florida
Ceramic Pro Coating

We are becoming Airstream noobies and are looking for thoughts on exterior protection. We're picking up our new FC 28RBQ in a few weeks and was wondering since it's brand new, should we do something to preserve the exterior finish before it picks up the bugs and dirt from use. We saw something about Ceramic Pro Coating on the LoLoHo video, and it was touted by Vinny's repairs in CA. There are folks who do the application in FL where we are picking it up, and in PA where we will store it. Wanted to get thoughts from forum members on exterior protection, ceramic coatings, and Ceramic Pro specifically.

Thanks for your responses!

gzvette61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
This may have been covered, I just cannot remember. I had that coating on a car. It looked beautiful, made washing a breeze, but it really provided no protection. I imagine it would cost a small fortune to install it on a large trailer as preparation is the key and that would be a lot of work. On a car, a good job costs four figures, I cannot imagine the price for an Airstream. Moreover, it is not a forever thing. Depending on the product and application it is going to need a refresh after 1-3 years, usually the short end of that. And, you still have to wash the trailer to get bugs and dirt off, more carefully than if you did not have the coating.
Most of my crowd just wash our trailers, some with the combined wash/wax car product. A few go to the trouble to actually apply car wax/polish.
Larry

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I briefly thought about this. I saw a video but lost all interest when they got to the cost.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I have Ceramic Pro on both cars and my motorcycle. When I had my 43 Motorhome I had that done, got a 50% discount but is still cost $8K. I was told by my Ceramic Pro installer that my Airstream would be about $4K. But probably won’t do it. I use the same wash for the trailer as I do for the cars. Americana Global ceramic wash. Using deionized water for all washing, the single use wash mitt approach (use mitt only once for a section and then a new mitt for the next section, avoids scratches), foaming canon, I am getting the benefit of water beading off and easy to spray down. Ceramic Pro will still scratch but does protect the paint better from brushes by leafy branches.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
I thought about having it done when I got the new Globetrotter. It does cost in the multi thousands, I think it would be 2 - 3K. Both my daily drivers are professionally coated in GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra and I occasionally top them with C2V3. I love how the look and how easy it is to dry them with a leaf blower.
I opted to try the Glare Professional + Polish which Airstream recommends. The initial application (as directed in the instructions 2 coats first one buffed in well) took about 40 hours of labor to do everything, Aluminum, plastic, glass, roof to wheels. I expect re-applications to be much faster. I bought a gallon of their Ultrawash to keep it fresh and I believe it to help counter any corrosion. So far it is doing good, but time will tell. It is supposed to last much longer than wax or polymer sealant and from the experiment I did on my grill, does hold up to high heat much better. The marketing for Glare is pretty cheesy though which was hard for me to look past.
Of all the waxes and sealants I tried on my previous Airstream Mequiars Polymer sealant 20 & 21 worked well and applied just like wax.
Joe15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard 👍

Your AS was already 'coated' by Alcoa.
I believe if there was a better product out there they would be using it.
Frequent washing with a quality car wash,(dawn is for ducks), and one of the newer polymer wax/sealants is the best option.
Stand lookout for the dreaded filiform and consider getting some CorrosionX or Boeshild

Bob
🇺🇸

17yrs SFSG-________________Filiform
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E7F844A-57CD-4923-93EF-66902E2D54DF_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	368788   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0FECEED-15A4-4527-B729-2C5C272024E6_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	368789  

Name:	CB75E4EA-532D-4D4F-8741-1EAD852C5E69.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	368790  

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Jax Beach , Florida
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we'll pass on the ceramic and use prudent care with other cleaning and protection measures.

Thanks again!
gzvette61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The inexpensive easy, and effective products I found is the Gringot's Garage All in one Sealer for all over.

CorosionX for all screws (furnace seems to need it the most) and places where dissimilar metal or unsealed edges of sheets are found, the entire hitch area, inside the propane storage and battery bins, and the undercarriage, frame, stablizers, again especially where sheets bolt to the frame.

I like WD40 on the stainless segment protectors. The road grime and bugs come off easily. Note that WD40 solvent works well (excellent really) to remove adhesive of stickers and such so avoid using it around anything with adhesive.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
I just finished the annual detail job of our GT and used Walbernize RV Super Seal for the 2nd time. $24.99 for a 32 oz. bottle, enough to do our 27' and still have 1/4 left over.

It's recommended by Airstream in your Owner's Manual. Works as advertised! Take the $3975 you'll save and buy a pair of Battle Born Lithium batteries and some solar panels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3034.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	368911  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

And to think back in the "Stone Ages" on the weekend, Dad would just get the bucket out of the garage (was used for anything needing a bucket), steal some of Mom's dish-soap from the kitchen sink, and a hand-towel half folded up for the wash-mitt.

All these years I've thought Mom was yelling at Dad about using her dish-soap and kitchen rags for washing the car, little did know (finding out now) she was yelling at him for "How" he was washing the car and not spending half a years income on protecting the paint ;-)

As a man that owns 12-cars and 4-Airstreams, I'll stick with Dad's old way of washing and caring for the fleet, if not, I'll have to tell the wife we're selling the house to get them all washed and Ceramic Coated.

Dad did always know how to save a buck,

Stay Healthy,
Old 05-30-2020, 06:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
I just finished the annual detail job of our GT and used Walbernize RV Super Seal for the 2nd time. $24.99 for a 32 oz. bottle, enough to do our 27' and still have 1/4 left over.

It's recommended by Airstream in your Owner's Manual. Works as advertised! Take the $3975 you'll save and buy a pair of Battle Born Lithium batteries and some solar panels.
Looks great!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
And to think back in the "Stone Ages" on the weekend, Dad would just get the bucket out of the garage (was used for anything needing a bucket), steal some of Mom's dish-soap from the kitchen sink, and a hand-towel half folded up for the wash-mitt.

All these years I've thought Mom was yelling at Dad about using her dish-soap and kitchen rags for washing the car, little did know (finding out now) she was yelling at him for "How" he was washing the car and not spending half a years income on protecting the paint ;-)

As a man that owns 12-cars and 4-Airstreams, I'll stick with Dad's old way of washing and caring for the fleet, if not, I'll have to tell the wife we're selling the house to get them all washed and Ceramic Coated.

Dad did always know how to save a buck,

Stay Healthy,
I too want to save a buck, but dish soap is a bad idea. It removes wax. Better to blow the budget on actual car wash soap.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I too want to save a buck, but dish soap is a bad idea. It removes wax. Better to blow the budget on actual car wash soap.
12 cars and 4 Airstreams...you can't tell him that.
But yes Dawn IS for the berds.

Bob
🇺🇸

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post

"Removes Wax", I honestly never remember Dad waxing a car . But I do remember him saying the dish-soap helped to clean-off the "oil" from the car that's thrown up off the road.

The saying, "Fruit doesn't fall far from the tree" is true to a degree, though I do spring the cash for that fancy car wash soap at the Dollar Store

Enjoy,
Old 05-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #15
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
If I were you, and you had a place where you could apply it yourself, I would do the roof. There are so many options and products, not certain which to choose, but the roof is the hardest to keep clean and suffers the worst exposure. The rest of the body a good wax good, I use Collinite and swear by it.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Our AS it only three years old so I cannot speak to longevity, but we just did a thorough wash and Walbernize last weekend and it looked fantastic. The aluminum was all very good (with the cleaning you could really get a sense of things), but it is weird that Airstream puts so many plain iron screws and such in places they will rust. What is up with the stabilizer legs? Creaking and groaning even with some silicone spray.

For washing I used a Griots foaming sprayer (not the cannon that you use with a pressure washer) with their wash soap, a big wash brush for the top half and my standard car-wash mitt and bug scraper for the rest that we could reach. Lots of microfiber towels to dry and to clean in the little gaps. I did not do the top other than a rinse and wiping down the solar panels. Starting today we will be storing it under cover! Yippee!

If you really wanted to do a ceramic coating, you could probably just do it on the front. That's where the bugs will be.

I remember how exciting it was to go pick up our AS and I am sure you are fired up. There are lots of little mods that people have made and there is a thread somewhere here with them all. My favorite very simple one was to buy a shower curtain rod and clear shower curtain (had to trim one to size) to keep water off the shower door, which would then drip on the floor. Enjoy!

DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote