Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
Buying - twin vs queen 2018 AS FC 25FB

Talk to me about the twin vs queen please... We have settled on the FC 25FB, but are unsure which bedroom configuration we want. It looks like the twin gives you a lot more bed space? We are 5'9" and 6'0" tall so that does matter to us but it feels slightly odd to think of sleeping apart. What are the general pros and cons? Thanks in advance!
tcblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
Talk to me about the twin vs queen please... We have settled on the FC 25FB, but are unsure which bedroom configuration we want. It looks like the twin gives you a lot more bed space? We are 5'9" and 6'0" tall so that does matter to us but it feels slightly odd to think of sleeping apart. What are the general pros and cons? Thanks in advance!
This thread just popped up today....may help answer your question....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2002823
Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
bump
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
We are full-timers in a 2016 Classic with twins. We chose the twins for the extra storage you get, not insignificant and very much needed for full-timing. Also preferred is the long sight line you get with the floor extending to the back of the trailer.

We're 5'5" and 5'7" so we fit perfectly. It seems like there are several inches of length leftover, but I'd guess at 6' there'd not be much room left. You should really try it out first if you can.

However, yes, it was an adjustment sleeping apart. We've been married for 35 years and were coming from a king-sized bed where we were separated by quite a lot of mattress so during the night it's not much of a difference. We've had occasion over the last 18 months to stay in hotels and guest rooms, and really appreciate sleeping together again.

But the twins are nice and we would make the same decision again. We got 3" Tempurpedic toppers which make these beds the most comfortable we've ever had.

Also, twins can give you a more flexible arrangement when you have company. When my sister (a back sleeper) came to stay with us for a week, my husband gave her his bed, and he (a side sleeper) took the couch. He's a great guy!

If you plan to use your Airstream for short trips and vacation, I'd say definitely go for the twins if you're so inclined. If full-timing, then it's a more difficult decision.

Joanne
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
From our experience, we definitely agree with going with twins. It was a sign when we were looking at so many floor plans at the dealership when we came upon our two sons inside of a 27' FB Twin. One was sprawled out on the lounge and the other was relaxing on one of the twin beds. Being digital natives, they synched their Bluetooth to the AS's stereo system and were jamming to the beats. Putting aside teenage tendencies, our first impression walking into this floor plan was very inviting, spacious and esthetically modern. Twins at one end give an über illusion of spaciousness. The floor goes on forever, and I'm thinking of installing a putting green![emoji12] The space between the beds allows more space to stand, get dressed or move about. There's more sleep space with twins. Queens are 60"x75" and twins are 34"x78". Having one nightstand between the beds is esthetically pleasing instead of flanking a queen. Twins also have offer a private "lounge area" and not feel like you're on display when someone is in the galley or dinette. A drawback is that the beds are up against the wall so when it's cold out, it can be a rude awakening when you brush up against the wall while sleeping. But we have a simple fix. We move the beds out away from the wall, and take the throw pillows we use for decor on the beds and wedge them between the bed and walls. Also, when you're decorating your bed with linens and pillows, it'll cost you two times as much.$$$ And yes, twins are a PASSION KILLER, but you get creative if you're into that kind of thing.[emoji848]

Usually it's just me and my wife when we take out the AS. Earlier this year, all four of us stayed in the AS for the Sea Otter Classic weekend that our son raced. No rubbing elbows, heavy sighs or eye rolling. First time all of us glamped in it, and were pleasantly surprised how much room we had to move around including our son's road bicycle that we had to keep safe. Comparing to our former Class C Winnebago View with a slide, our AS won hands down as far space and ergonomics.

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Forgot to add I'm 6' tall and wife is 5'3". I have no complaints about the twin size. Super comfortable and I sleep like a bambino! Wife says it's a bummer because we sleep apart, and she can't kick me when I'm snoring![emoji12]

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Of the other opinion, we have a 23 FB which we are selling because we purchased a 27FB queen. We went back and forth on this subject a lot since we are both rarely tall . In the end we went with the queen for a few reasons. We really don't want to sleep apart, we are already used to the short queen from our 23,I don't care for sleeping against the wall and I wanted our Airstream bedroom to feel like our bedroom at home. I would feel like I was at a Boy Scout camp in a twin bed. Added bonus, we have expensive bedding that we will reuse. In your case, in a 25 ft I would def get the twin for all the reasons others stated but also because your beds will face the correct way. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
I meant fairly tall^. Above lol
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
A queen bed usually allows access to three sides of the bed thereby making it MUCH easier to make the bed and especially change bed linens.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
My suggestion is to go to a dealership that has both a queen and twin configuration. My thought process go like this. How I'll you get to the two overhead lockers over the queen? The floor space is so narrow next to that side of the bed!!! Plus you hit your head on the overhead lockers! Just not sure how convenient the under bed bends would be for daily use. Also, exterior storage is much more with the twin option! To view walk-through videos go to YouTube and search for Colonial Airstream. Very informative!!!!

Then there is the split bath in the hall. Go in and sit down and note how confined the area feels.

Now go sit in the booth and pretend you are watching tv. Turn sideways and extend your legs. How does that work for you? Your kids may not mind backing their head up against the window. Two people will need to view tv from the bedroom.

Work space in the kitchen is really important, that is if you plan to cook indoors. The weather can be inclement. Hot, buggy, muggy, rainy and cold! Sit in a booth with your family! Now sit around the 26U-shaped dinette! Plenty of space to sit and eat with the whole family or play games! Plus it doubles as a huge almost king size bed! Consider where their things will be stored. When the kids are not there any longer you and your husband can use only one table and be really comfortable.

All that said, the 26 RBT with dual a/c, awning package and rear Voyager camera is one to consider.

I speak from experience having owned two Airstreams. I only wish the 26 RBT had been available when we bought ours!

Hope this helps,

Linda

PS Educate your self on the proper tow vehicle and weight distribution hitch for your chosen Airstream. Do not trust that just because you have a towing package you can pull anything!!! Go to your vehicles web site and find out exactly what the truck can safely pull all things considered!
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
RB Twin Advantages

Quote:
If you decide on twins, then you may want to consider the RB layout. Four main reasons: 1. larger bathroom (especially important for taller people); 2. easier access to large trunk (not obstructed by propane tanks); 3. can have both gas oven and microwave; 4 lower tongue weight.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
We have NEVER slept in separate beds over 38 years of marriage, but we went with the twin beds in our 27' FB. You DO get more bed-room, the access is easier, plus there's more storage. And there's still the full-size dinette bed for a little variety . . .
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
We have worked through the storage issues and also have a f250 TV to keep things in. Still wouldn't want to sleep apart. That's why they make both models.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
When we were shopping for a FB, I happened on a long-time AS salesman at an AS dealer in Tucson, as that dealership advertised heavily on eBay, which I follow. I told him that we wanted a queen bed and were going back & forth between the 25 & the 27 and asked for his recommendation. He said that his current AS was a FC 25 FB twin, and that he had bought the 25 & not the 27 for two main reasons:
1. He used it mainly for camping on public lands, and the 25 was more maneuverable on their unpaved roads than a 27.
2. He seldom camped with his wife --- mainly with one or more of their grown children --- and the twin beds worked better for that than a queen.

He said, however, that if he wanted a queen, he would get the 27, not the 25 for three reasons, all because the 25's queen is positioned as an "East/West" bed, what is called in nautical terms "athwartships," while the queen in the 27 is positioned as a "North/South" bed:
1. The North/Side bed allows access on three sides, so it is easier to make.
2. The East/West bed makes it hard for one of the sleepers to get up in the middle of the night without disturbing the other.
3. Whoever sleeps on the "free" (ie, window) side of the East/West bed typically hits their head on the overhead locker upon getting up.

His recommendation if you want a FB:
A. If you want twins, get a 25.
B. If you want a queen, get a 27.

When we went back to our local AS dealer trying to make up our minds about 25 vs 27, we stayed in a 25 queen for a while & then moved to the 27 queen. It took all of about one minute for my sweetie, after looking at the "wrap around" queen bed in the 27, to say, "This it it."

We got a 27 queen, and it works swell for us.

Chances are if I had been in the Tucson salesman's position, it would have been a 25 twin.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
It depends on a lot of factors as Rgentum stated so well. If you are camping with kids, friends, then a twin is great. I just think that it comes down to your own preference. Go with your gut. If you think the storage is a major issue, twins is the way to go. We have plenty of storage going from 23 to 27. That wasn't a concern.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
I do not have any advice about the twins but do agree with the post above about the 25 vs 27 if you want the queen bed.

We have a 25FB and have been living out of it full-time for the last year and used it extensively before going full-time. We almost always camp on public lands, which is why we went with the 25 since we thought it would allow a bit more flexibility for getting into tighter spots.

In retrospect, I wish we had purchased the 27FB. While storage has never been an issue for us, spending time in our friends' 27FBs make it clear that the 25FB setup is poor in comparison. The bed is a huge pain to make (especially changing linens) and is awkward to get in and out of for the person sleeping by the wall. The little space by the wall also collects all kinds of dirt and dust, which is hard to clean because it is so narrow. The additional kitchen and closet space is another bonus for the 27FB. (One reason I'm glad we got the 25 is the panoramic windows, which were not available on the 27 when we were looking. I'd much rather have the windows than the tiny closets that are in some 27s. Tradeoffs!)

For all the time traveling in our trailer, the additional length would have been an issue in only one place - Yosemite NP.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
Thank you all so much for all the replies. It is invaluable! I think we will go with the twin based on feedback. Can't wait!
Old 09-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
I do not have any advice about the twins but do agree with the post above about the 25 vs 27 if you want the queen bed.

We have a 25FB and have been living out of it full-time for the last year and used it extensively before going full-time. We almost always camp on public lands, which is why we went with the 25 since we thought it would allow a bit more flexibility for getting into tighter spots.

In retrospect, I wish we had purchased the 27FB. While storage has never been an issue for us, spending time in our friends' 27FBs make it clear that the 25FB setup is poor in comparison. The bed is a huge pain to make (especially changing linens) and is awkward to get in and out of for the person sleeping by the wall. The little space by the wall also collects all kinds of dirt and dust, which is hard to clean because it is so narrow. The additional kitchen and closet space is another bonus for the 27FB. (One reason I'm glad we got the 25 is the panoramic windows, which were not available on the 27 when we were looking. I'd much rather have the windows than the tiny closets that are in some 27s. Tradeoffs!)

For all the time traveling in our trailer, the additional length would have been an issue in only one place - Yosemite NP.
we can't pull a 27 and it won't fit in our driveway. 25 is as large as we can go!
Old 09-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Congratulations! Best wishes! See you down the road! Live Riveted@
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We started with a 25FB Serenity with an East/West queen and after two years decided we had to convert it to twins or get a different AS with twins or North/South queen. The East/West bed is a pain, literally, for the inside person to get in and out if he/she goes to bed later, gets up during the night or gets up earlier. We are in our early 70s and I could see that I was not going to keep doing the acrobatics much longer. We went with twins with a 4" tempurpedic topper mainly for the extra floor space and storage space and I tend to snore after two glasses of wine. Making up the twin is easy, I just pull the foot of the mattress out into the aisle and once sheets, blankets and bedspread tucked in, just push it back in. Our twin width is 36" with curbside length 80" and street side 78.5". We love it!