Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Kent , Ohio
Bunk Height - 30 FBB vs added bunk in 25fb

We rented a Flying Cloud this week - great decision to confirm a lot of our suspicions on what we'd prefer, how we'd use the unit, etc. However, the rental was a 25 FB with the added bunk over the queen bed in the front, and the bunk was kind of awkward. Not a lot of room between the bunk and the ceiling and not particularly easy to get up and down.

We are planning to get a 30FB bunk model and I'm wondering if the rear bunk is a little lower in that model? We looked at one a year ago and it seemed "fine," but I really wasn't paying close attention to that feature. For those who have a 30fbb, how do you (or your kids) find the top bunk to use? Thanks!
mickeyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
The kids had no problems using the top bed in our 2019 FC 30Bunk—although occasionally the kid on top would crack his/her noggin on the ceiling if they awoke too quickly. The top bunk in the 30 is much easier to get in/out than the models with the bunk over the front bed (according to my kids who spent a lot of time in ours and once played in a 25 with the bunk at the dealer).

I know privacy is very limited in our RVs, but having the kids sleep over the heads of my wife and me is a bridge to far.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Texas
One thing to note is that the upper bunk on the 30FB is pretty small. Our 9 year old fits there now, but not sure he would be comfortable by the time he’s 11. The mattress up there is garbage too - very thin.

As mentioned, it’s not too difficult for him to climb up there - AS put a little foot step on the wall that helps a lot.

The lower bunk is great. Great mattress, lots of room. An adult could sleep there no problem.

We love our 30FB Bunk. Shopped and thought about what RV would work best for us and this is hands down a great fit for us.
RanchoTexano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Kent , Ohio
Thanks!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear the 30 bunk is a little better - and the step will be nice. It was just something I didn't pay enough attention to when we had the opportunity to see one.

I'm hoping it will work well for one of our six year old twins. Having one of them right over us all night this past week was less than ideal, especially when he wanted to discuss the bug bite on his elbow at 4 am....

Thanks!
mickeyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyme View Post
Thanks! I'm glad to hear the 30 bunk is a little better - and the step will be nice. It was just something I didn't pay enough attention to when we had the opportunity to see one.

I'm hoping it will work well for one of our six year old twins. Having one of them right over us all night this past week was less than ideal, especially when he wanted to discuss the bug bite on his elbow at 4 am....

Thanks!

We absolutely love it. It is a kings ransom to buy one, but that is a given with AS as you know! The twins should be fine, though it will probably be a fight as to who sleeps on top LOL. There are good AC vents in the bunk area and a TV.

You have at least 5 good years to use the top bunk, and then the dinette can certainly work. And, Mom & Dad get to keep their privacy.
RanchoTexano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyme View Post

Thanks!
We bought the Bunkhouse when the twins were 7. By the time they were 10, each was too big for the top bed. We were putting one kid on the bottom bunk and turning the dinette into bed for the 2nd one…which kinda wore the luster off the bunkhouse for us.

I’ll share a lesson that I keep learning: The kids grow up fast. (I’m sure you’ve already figured this one out!)
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
We had a 2020 Int. 25FB Serenity. We have a 9yr old & 6 yr old and recently traded it in for a 2021 30 bunk. We along with everyone else who has spent time with us in both have remarked how superior the 30bunks layout is. My guess is our daughter will fit up top for 3-4 more years. The lower full is a good size, two adults have spent the night comfortably in ours. We added a 3” memory foam topper from BB&B to the lower full and the 2” topper from AS supply to the top bunk…huge improvement. Once the top bunk is no longer usefull, we will use it for storage possibly to store a 3” twin topper we can place on the lounge at night. We will use the lounge and not convert the dinette, we converted the dinette enough on our 3 month long trips in the 25’. Plus, we love the larger fridge, bathroom, master bedroom, kitchen, entry, u shaped dinette, storage and macerating toilet in the 30 bunk…. Macerating toilet has no odor!
Old 07-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Germantown , TN
We have an 8 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. Right now the girl sleeps up top because the 3 year old can't safely climb up and down, but they will reach a size where they switch. It is smaller than a twin. Our daughter sleeps with her head by the closet (closer to front of trailer) and feet towards rear of trailer where the mattress narrows. The OEM mattress is thin and cheap but we cut some foam mattress topper and she likes it. She has no issues getting up or down, the step that Airstream installs is solid.

That bottom bunk is a sleep cave. We ordered the foam mattress topper from Airstream Supply Co. With the curtain pulled shut it is dark and comfortable. I am 6'6" 200lbs and if we are being honest I prefer sleeping on that bottom bunk to the front bedroom!