Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
RV Wannabe...

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bentonville , Arkansas
Bike Rack with Hatch model?

Hello! I'm VERY new to the group, and haven't ordered my Airstream just yet.

I'm doing a bit of planning for the time when I celebrate the new rig, and take it on it's first outing.

I realize that Airstreams don't exactly have tour-bus level cargo capacity...

Does anyone know if the Airstream-installed bike rack is compatible with the hatch option that is available on several models? I'd love to take the kayaks *and* bikes along...with some tools, other equipment, supplies, toys, etc...I'm starting to get a little concerned that I might need a much bigger cargo truck!

Thank you!

arkansasMoe

p.s. -- I you have links to pictures related to this, I'd certainly like to take a look!
arkansasMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
ArkansasMoe, that’s an interesting question! I’ll let other hatch owners comment on their experience of installing a rack on the back but can share how we haul our Specialized eBikes inside the trailer.

It would be much easier if we had a hatch model to load them straight in rather than making a tight 90 degree turn by the door.

I made a wood frame that sits between the twin beds of our 27’ Globetrotter. They stay put and don’t touch each other or the furniture. You could do something similar.

Also, you mentioned kayaks. Have you seen the Oru folding kayaks? We’re giving them a serious look because they could go inside the trailer or under the truck’s tonneau cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99E84D28-0670-46ED-99EE-54FEC009C7D8.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	414680  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
RV Wannabe...

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bentonville , Arkansas
That’s a brilliant solution! I hadn’t thought about putting the bikes inside the trailer! That would be easy to do with the hatch model!

Also, I’ll check out the kayaks you mentioned!

Thank you!

Brian
Old 04-20-2022, 06:11 AM   #4
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
You can also put a receiver hitch on the back. Slide in a good bike carrier. Most tilt down sufficiently to open the hatch. This is a controversial solution as it adds weight to the rear which can increase sway, and too much weight can pull the frame from the shell.
However, lots of us are doing it without any reported negative results. We often take three or four days of travel to get to our destination. We tried bikes inside, and found them to be in the way. Most lunches are in the trailer, bathroom, and sleeping.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Check Colonial?

I have a hatch model and carry bikes on top of my tonneau. Pics in my gallery.

Colonial Airstream shows a pick of a rack sitting inside of a hatch trailer on thus page: https://www.colonialairstream.com/airstream-rv-trailers-motorhomes/fiamma-bike-rack/

I’d call them.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #6

2020 27' Globetrotter
San Jose , California
You might want to look at the Arvika bike rack. I installed one on our 2020 Globetrotter. It’s a bit pricey, but really well built. It can easily be removed if you need too. We have the front queen and have access to the storage locker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F633CE2-AD73-41F3-AEAC-50BE1CBCC24D.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	414744  
buckshot99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
arkansasMoe,
You don't mention what your tow vehicle will be. If it will be a pickup, you could always go with a tonneau cover and a mounted bike rack on it. Checkout the Retrax system from 4 Wheel Concepts in Bentonville.
I have seen bikes damaged from swinging out too far and making contact with gas pumps and other cars that were mounted to the back of RV's. Plus, the ride in a travel trailer is much more aggressive back there than the bed of a truck.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:36 AM   #8
RV Wannabe...

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
arkansasMoe,
You don't mention what your tow vehicle will be. If it will be a pickup, you could always go with a tonneau cover and a mounted bike rack on it. Checkout the Retrax system from 4 Wheel Concepts in Bentonville.
I have seen bikes damaged from swinging out too far and making contact with gas pumps and other cars that were mounted to the back of RV's. Plus, the ride in a travel trailer is much more aggressive back there than the bed of a truck.
Depending on the size/length/weight of the trailer, I might attempt to drag it around with the Escalade. I'm pretty tentative about the current state of diesel pickup trucks and the DEF complexity situation. I've not heard much about them other than they're troublesome. So maybe a gas-powered pickup.

But, I'll probably go the pickup truck route, with the taller rack system for kayaks... But I'm dreaming and shopping at this point.

Now that my wife is excited about the Airstream idea, I plan on taking advantage of the situation!

4-Wheel Concepts is just a couple miles away from my house! I'll check them out!

Thanks for the advice!

Moe
Old 04-26-2022, 07:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
with a front bed, its easy to remove the rear table and place a frame to hold the bike tires. just use straps like the Thule roof bike straps to hold the wheels. Then its easy to hold them uprights so they don't sway L_R, bungy or rubber chords are easy to add/remove.

there is ample room in the rear for two bikes between the side cushions.

thus no need for an external rack or to lift them very high.
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote