Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #1

Granite Bay , California
Best FC for large family and Ford Expedition

I am looking at buying a new airstream soon and am looking for some help as to which model would be best. My wife and I have four children, ages 11, 8, 6, and 4. As such, we are committed to our tow vehicle, which is a 2021 Ford Expedition Max (9000 lbs max tow, 900 lb max tongue weight, max payload 1668 lbs).

We are considering three different trailers and would appreciate any advice about which would be the best overall, keeping in mind that we want to tow safely. We anticipate taking mostly weekend trips with a few 1-2 week excursions each year. We would use the trailer mostly for meals and sleeping, as we usually spend our days hiking, sightseeing, etc. We are also light packers and don't bring bikes, etc.

Trailer #1: FC 23 CB Bunk: Hitch weight 654 lbs, GVWR 6000 lbs. This would be the best for towing, but I am concerned that it is too small for our family size.

Trailer #2: FC 25 RB twin: Hitch weight 835, GVWR 7300 lbs. Would be much better from a size standpoint, but I am concerned about tongue weight (not even considering FC 25 FB twin because of reports that tongue weight is MUCH higher than advertised).

Trailer #3: FC 27 FB twin: Hitch weight 791, GVWR 7600. This is a bigger trailer overall and would be most comfortable, but it is also 28 ft long and could present a towing challenge. I haven't heard about the 27 FB having the same higher-than-advertised tongue weight as the 25 FB, but I am worried about that as well.

Any and all advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
Expedition81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Your children will grow and you'll need a bigger trailer than any of the ones you've mentioned. Also, the Expedition just isn't enough truck for your needs now or in the future. With four growing children, you need a trailer with a slideout so that you have room to move once the beds are made and a comfortable place to hang out when the weather turns bad. This isn't what you want to hear and please don't take offense but I'd rethink your Airstream plans.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Un-commit to your tow vehicle, or look at other travel trailers, or both.

Not trying to be rude, or nasty, but 6 in an Airstream will be tight.

Real tight.

That's my take on the situation.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I have to agree with the previous posts. You need a big Airstream or other trailer for your crew, and a capable vehicle to tow it. Virtually all Airstreams will have a heavier than advertised tongue weight when loaded for camping. My 23FB has an advertised tongue weight of 437 lbs., but it’s closer to 620 lbs. when loaded.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

All RV's that are big enough for a family of 6 are going to be out of the picture for towing with an Expedition. It's not just the tow number you need to look at. The payload has to work with all the (soon to be big) kids loaded in *plus* the tongue weight of the trailer *plus* the weight of your gear *plus* stuff like food and "toys".

Do not get into a situation where you have more trailer than your tow vehicle can handle safely. This is not something you want to find out "by accident".

Do not get into a situation where the trailer is far to small for your "crew". Trading in one of these beasts in a year or so will be crazy expensive.

If you are headed for a FC, look at the 30'. Work out where everybody will sleep. Work out how much is involved in "converting" the trailer each morning and each night. Some days it rains (a lot). Work out where everybody will sit for the day. Figure out where all the gear and food will go.

I'd go take a look at a couple of 5th wheel trailers and consider towing it with one vehicle while hauling the family with the Expedition. Net cost for a very basic "big truck" plus the 5th wheel may be pretty close to the AS.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Agree with all of the posts on the tow vehicles. Expedition maybe marginally ok for a 25’ for a couple or maybe a couple and one small child. Anything more and you are in trouble. Our 25’ Is ok for my wife and I but I couldn’t imagine adding more people. If you are stuck on Airstreams then the FC 30’ bunk will be your best bet. And at least a 3/4 ton truck to pull it. ALL Airstream advertised tongue weights are notoriously low. Any 25 and up will be hovering around that 1000lb mark at least.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I towed a 27FB for years with an older Expedition and it was fine. With a weight distribution hitch properly set up all axles were below their GAWR per CAT scales. Your new Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost is plenty powerful. The four wheel independent suspension provides superior traction over a solid axle. Some will say its dangerous because its not a heavy duty truck, but the real danger is excessive speed.

The 27FB can sleep 6, especially as you have small kids. The dinette converts to a large bed, while the couch slideout can easily sleep one larger or two smaller children.

I see you need the Expedition because most trucks comfortably seat five. As noted though you'll not be able to put much more in the Expedition except your family. The weight of you and your family, plus the weight of the trailer, will probably load your Expedition close to its max payload weight. The solution is to put everything else into the trailer. As your family ages and grows you may someday be forced to get something larger.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Best FC for large family and Ford Expedition

I towed my 30’ international for a year (7800 lbs loaded and 990lb hitch weight at the time) with an inifiti QX56/80 with similar specs to your expedition. Slightly less payload. 2 adults 4 kids.

I can be done, but you have to know that you will be over your payload number on the SUV. I made sure my tires were not overloaded. You must have a perfectly calibrated WD hitch as well (know how to tune your setup).

In the end I was not happy with the the overall performance of the combination. Moved to a larger 3/4 ton diesel and that was a breath of fresh air. I’m happy with the current setup now - tows better and I can take way more stuff with me, safely.

I also live near and drive through the Rockies - different game at 10,000ft going over 6-8-10% grade passes….

We modified the L-lounge on the 30’ international and it sleeps 4 kids no problem.

Your ideal trailer is a 25SS which were made from about 2004 - 2009 thereabouts. It was an awesome layout for 2 adults and 4 kids. We had one and we towed for 25k miles with a 1/2 ton suv. 7,600 gross and 765lbs on the tongue…

Here is a link to the one we had:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lbseqqluc...0Sale.pdf?dl=0

And here is a link to our current 30, which we bought because it had a similar lounge / dinette config…. (But queen bed, bigger shower/bath and more storage)

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...um-182406.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2419.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	397828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	752.1 KB
ID:	397829  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It's totally doable, but be prepared to spend some energy fine-tuning the hitch and always packing carefully. Just like everything else in life, there are upsides and downsides. We started with an SUV, went 3/4 ton, and are now back to SUV, so I get it.
To pick one from what you listed, I would recommend FC 27FBT. That's an excellent floor plan. FC 30Bunk is fantastic, but the extra tongue weight will eat up the payload. Considering you are only thinking of weekend trips with a few weeklong excursions, it should be manageable in 27FBT.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1549.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	397830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1843.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	397831  

2012 Mercedes GL450
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Maybe a Class A motor home/diesel pusher is the answer, and you could tow the Expedition. There are some nice options out there.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
When we looked at the RR HSE, trailer capacity is ~7,700 max with a 330 tongue weight maximum ( which sounds absurd). Did you modify/strengthen the receiver? If so, who did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShar View Post
It's totally doable, but be prepared to spend some energy fine-tuning the hitch and always packing carefully. Just like everything else in life, there are upsides and downsides. We started with an SUV, went 3/4 ton, and are now back to SUV, so I get it.
To pick one from what you listed, I would recommend FC 27FBT. That's an excellent floor plan. FC 30Bunk is fantastic, but the extra tongue weight will eat up the payload. Considering you are only thinking of weekend trips with a few weeklong excursions, it should be manageable in 27FBT.
Good luck!
WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The large increase over published weight when ready to travel of the 25 FB pretty much applies to all front bed models, just too much storage in the front.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
I agree with the majority of the responses. If you are in it for the long run, purchase an adequate TV. Yes there are some that push the limit and are fine with that. Budget doesn't always allow for the bigger things. There is a significant difference in pulling a large trailer with an 1/2 ton vehicle and a 3/4 truck on a long highway. We know from experience.

As large as your family is, I would recommend a trailer with slide out(s). Take a look at the Lance trailers. We would have gone with a Lance if we hadn't chosen the AS. IMO, Lance makes the best square shaped trailer out there. We have two of us and a large dog, so we chose the 27 ft International. For a larger family we would have needed more room. Things can get crowded in a trailer and give a lot of thought on how a family of six would move around in it.

I see a lot of incidences where people go smaller than what their realistic needs are and end upgrading a trailer, TV or both soon after. That will be more costly in the long run.
TexasVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Sorry to say, we had an expedition and tried to tow a 25 FB FC. The hitch weight was 1200lbs which from most reviews is right in that ball park. 6 in the expedition and towing a 25 is not safe. It is not about support to the hitch. We crawled up hills and the 25 pushed our vehicle on down hills. That is with 2 adults and 15 lb dog. You can pull an AS on flat ground with anything. Managing the tow is another.

Do not believe the advertised hitch weight. It just is not accurate once you are loaded. Your tow vehicle choice just is not enough for your family and an AS. Please consider the comments from those of us that have been there and really that safety is paramount. Do not place your family in an undersized tow vehicle for your trailer. It is easy to get caught up in reading what you want to hear rather than the advice you don’t want to hear.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
30' FC bunk. Hands down and a 3/4 ton or equiv tow vehicle. As the kids grow up though, the bunk has I think a 150lb max capacity (as do the other bunk models in the AS lineup), the cool thing about the 30' bunk is that you have the back for the kids and the front for the adults. For more than 3 young kids, you will still need to fold down the couch and dinettee, which can be a daily pain, but if you can fit 3 kids and 2 adults as indicated, bed stay set up and not re-setup for dinette and couch.....but it has I've heard a nearly 1100-1200lb hitch weight (which admittedly varies by how it's loaded).
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Family of 6

Well....with 4 kids a quad cab truck is a no go. Consider a 3/4 or 1 ton rated passenger van as your tow vehicle. Think Chevy Express/GMC Savana or a Nissan NV3500(if you can find one). You will likely have to order a Chevy/GMC and the good thing is that fully equipped to tow a big trailer they cost way less than your Expedition. MSRP fully loaded is right around $45k. Check out the specs on the vans and you will see that they have the tow rating and most important have the Payload/Cargo capacity you need. The new 2021 Chevy/GMC vans have the 6.6 gas engine and are old school tough as nails vehicles. Takes a heck of a beating and keeps on going.

As to what trailer.....6 people in ANY Airstream (even the FC 30' Bunk) is pushing it. Look for an SOB for a bunch less money with some slideouts.
uraljohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I am also in agreement with the majority of posts on two key items. #1 is that on tongue weight alone, the Airstream will almost certainly exceed 900lbs, and even beyond that, for safety in towing and stability in towing, you want a heavier tow vehicle. I learned first hand that a tow vehicle that is undersized/underweight can still pull the trailer, but the overall feeling of uneasiness pushed me very quickly to a heavier tow vehicle. Be very very cautious about putting your trust in the advertised tow ratings of any manufacturer. They are in the business to sell vehicles. If you only intended to tow 25-30 miles to a local campground, maybe ... but for any serious road trip, get the right tow vehicle. The second point is that 4 (growing) kids in any Airstream is going to be really tight, both for packing space and sleeping space. Maybe the small kids make it workable for the first few years but you will quickly run out of interior space for sleeping. I have a 25' RB twin, Airstream likes to advertise it sleeps 4, possible 6 if small kids, but I honestly have to say it is very comfortable for my wife and I, just the two of us, no pets, but I cannot envision a pleasant experience with more than that. No matter what you decide, I humbly submit you should think safety first, in regard to the complete solution, tow vehicle, hitch, etc. Best of luck.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Well, we just spent over four weeks in a 23’ international… five adults… it was cozy but fine… actually it was great.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylynne View Post
Well, we just spent over four weeks in a 23’ international… five adults… it was cozy but fine… actually it was great.
I think you are the acceptation my friend! Are previous AS was a 22' Sport. With the two of us and a large dog we were crowed. Cant imagine 5 adults in a 23' for 4 weeks.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:07 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylynne View Post
I think you are the acceptation my friend! Our previous AS was a 22' Sport. With the two of us and a large dog we were extremely crowded. Cant imagine 5 adults in a 23' for 4 weeks.