Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New York
Just to give everyone an update. This is now in the hands of Colonial Airstream in NJ. Dropped off just last week. They will not be able to give me an ETA until next week.

Also I already dropped by Jackson Center as it was on the way back home. Their appointments were backed up to early 2019. I had them look at the damage and because the floor was cut in, they would need to replace it and everything would need to come out. Surprisingly they said it would take about only 2 weeks.

In any case, it seems this will take a few months total time from the time to make the appointment, drop off, and waiting for repairs. Probably the worst part about this is that when the service finishes, it will most likely be snowing. Probably bad timing on my part, but I wanted to get this addressed as soon as I could.

Will update when this is actually repaired.
airwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwanderer View Post
Also I already dropped by Jackson Center as it was on the way back home. Their appointments were backed up to early 2019.
I think I'd be losing my mind at that point......but I do understand scheduling and others who probably had to wait just to get to this point.

I'm sure they'll make it right.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwanderer View Post
Dave, sorry for the late reply! I would give you the advice of looking very carefully at the model you purchase. I had the same feelings before purchasing. I thought maybe the issues were overly exposed due to the fact that most people post when there are issues rather when things go well. In any case, I would plan to spend some time at the airstream dealer in some form. I don't know if a "perfect" model exists.
I appreciate your advice. You should be in good hands at Colonial, from everything I have read. I have watched so many of Patrick Botticelli's walk through videos that I feel like I should invite him over for Thanksgiving!

We finally decided to take the plunge and ordered a 25FB, should arrive before Christmas. Thanks to Colonial's YouTube channel, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what to expect during our orientation, and can concentrate on inspecting build quality for possible errors while my wife focuses in on operating procedures. I am sure the first introductory walk through can be a little overwhelming, best to be prepared.

We also plan to spend the first night camping near our dealer with the understanding that, if we find any issues the first night, we bring it back to them the next day for resolution before we tow it home. Of course, who knows what can happen a few months or miles down the road, right?

Best of luck on your flooring. Not sure I would feel entirely comfortable with JC Service Center disassembling and reinstalling the Airstream's interior, but I hear that they do a lot better job than the original fabrication crew. Who knows, maybe they will find other existing errors and correct them before they become major problems.

Dave
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Newberry , Florida
When on the road in July I found that the medicine cabinet was off the wall on the right side. The left side was still attached. I found two aluminum screws that were broken off. We had to remove the entire cabinet, the bottom shelf first (two screws to the wall and three screws to the mirrored part) and then the left hand side screws (on a bottom stringer, the top side corner to the left bulkhead and the top to the trailer wall). Once off I found that the right hand side screws were snapped at the wall - they appeared to be in the rib of the trailer and one was from the top right and the other was from the stringer.

I had to find new compatible screws, I had to drill new holes into the ribs (about 3/8" away) and I got a piece of 1/2" wood to use as a spacer for a new screw into the right bulkhead, and added a new screw from the middle of the stringer to the wall.

It went back up OK and the new connection to the right hand side bulkhead made it very sturdy. Finished the trip just fine. Thankfully we were at a state park for a few days and the small town had a great ACE hardware store.
BagODoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
This scenario played out in my mind when I took delivery of my 2019 19CB.

First thing I did was remove those mirrored medicine cabinets and give them to good will. Temporary fix was plexi-mirror until I get the washing machine installed into the new cabinet that is taking the place of the pretty-much unusable sink in there.

Washing machine travels in the truck bed/topper for now (waiting on sheet of Wilsonart 7981K-12 soft grain finish to get going on the new laundry room cabinet).

Lost a little storage space, gained a little piece of mind.

Sorry for the hassle you are going through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	375464  
trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #26
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagODoughnut View Post
< snip >
It went back up OK and the new connection to the right hand side bulkhead made it very sturdy. Finished the trip just fine. Thankfully we were at a state park for a few days and the small town had a great ACE hardware store.
Good 'fix' ... your falling-cabinet-problem should be over now.

Over on the 23D thread, there is a fairly lengthy discussion bout making the cabinet fall-proof. It starts at post number 2293 (here ya go: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f14...ml#post2158679 ). The cabinet discussion is interleaved among a couple of other topics, but you can easily find 'em all.

Several of us 23D owners have done quite a bit of work 'hardening' our units to make them impervious to the rigors of the road. Even though you have the problem well in hand, this thread may be interesting reading. Have a great rest-of-the-week!

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #27
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpup View Post
< snip > the pretty-much unusable sink in there.

< snip >.
I solved the usefulness problem by making a new countertop, curved outward to allow me to relocate the sink 2" closer (farther from the back wall). I also installed a More faucet which directs the water to the center of the sink. Perfectly useful now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	375542  

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #28
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpup View Post
This scenario played out in my mind when I took delivery of my 2019 19CB.

First thing I did was remove those mirrored medicine cabinets and give them to good will. Temporary fix was plexi-mirror until I get the washing machine installed into the new cabinet that is taking the place of the pretty-much unusable sink in there.

Washing machine travels in the truck bed/topper for now (waiting on sheet of Wilsonart 7981K-12 soft grain finish to get going on the new laundry room cabinet).

Lost a little storage space, gained a little piece of mind.

Sorry for the hassle you are going through.
Let's see that washing machine install when it's done!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote