Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
West Olive , Michigan
Backup Camera Monitor - Mount inside Vehicle

I have a new Airstream FC, and struggle(d) with the suction cup mount for the rearview camera monitor inside of my truck (2017 F150).

That said, I researched multiple (expensive, complex, and cumbersome) options, only to settle on the simplest for me... a NiteIze Steelie.

3 Components:
- NiteIze Steelie Magnetic Phone Socket PLUS
- NiteIze Steelie (BALL) Dash Mount
- 2 rubber bumpers

Monitor:
- I mounted the Steelie (BALL) Dash Mount (ironically) to the Monitor in lieu of the truck dash/instrument panel.
- I adhered 2 clear bumpers on the bottom edge of the monitor to keep it positioned away from buttons for the F150's traction control, hazard lights and auto start/stop buttons.

Truck IP:
I mounted the Steelie Magnetic Phone Socket PLUS to the F150 dash/instrument panel.

I wanted to keep the magnet as far away from the monitor as possible, thus the reason I mounted it to the truck, not monitor... even if it's still close, it's a piece of mind.

I have not gone on a long trip with it, nor off-roading... but works far better than a suction cup. It set me back about $30 on Amazon, and it was far cheaper, smaller, and SIMPLER than any Ram mount or equivalent, on the market. I can install my monitor in no-time flat....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyager Monitor in F150.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	427721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steelie in F150.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	427722  

Name:	Voyager Monitor w:Steelie.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	427723  
Spartanfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Nice clean install!
As I recall, Ford accepts a bracket where the cutout in the dash is.
Then multiple RAM arms can attach to that.

Mine in my Tundra is more cluttered but I like the function.

...and I mounted the TPMS above the monitor.

My Garmin GPS, on the dash, has a very wide angle camera, so I piggybacked that so I could see the rear bumper.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:55 PM   #3
hbf
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
2018 16' Sport
Gilroy , California
Very nice. I’ve been looking for a better way to mount the monitor in my F150. Thanks for sharing.
hbf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Boise , Idaho
Another option is ProClip. They mould plastic clips that are custom designed for your vehicle onto which a variety of mounts can be attached. I use one for my phone, and have adapted another to hold my rear view screen.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I don't have an issue with my suction cup mount. Wife locates in middle of the dash, attached to the window, resting on the dash, slightly on the center speaker. I also have the TPMS display sitting in the dash pocket just in front of the speaker. No vision issues; no mount issues, but thanks for the information on your set up.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I Second This

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbf View Post
Very nice. I’ve been looking for a better way to mount the monitor in my F150. Thanks for sharing.
"I’ve been looking for a better way to mount the monitor."

Thank you for sharing! I will be ordering a Steelie set up too.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Thanks for sharing the mounting solution details. Do you think it's practical to mount the ball lower on the display unit (possibly where the serial number label is) and then be able to access the hazard lights switch while the display is mounted? I don't have any need for the autostart cancel button since that feature is disabled when in towing mode and the traction control is rarely used, but I do use the hazards from time to time when traffic ahead is slowing suddenly and I have a vehicle in my slipstream
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's the dash bracket for Ford I mentioned in post 2.
Not for everyone, but accepts almost all devices/arms/holders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	builtright-dash-mount.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	427823  
Old 02-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Boalsburg , Pennsylvania
Also consider Tackform

I also had the very frustrating issue with the suction cup on my backup monitor not sticking. We got a Tackform system for our Ford F150 and LOVE it. We mounted both phones and the monitor and they are all solid. The best part was when I called with a question about exactly what I should order, their customer service was amazing. They helped me figure it out and just took the order directly, shipping it immediately. Couldn’t be happier. Please check Tackform out!
JSteff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:42 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
West Olive , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.m View Post
Thanks for sharing the mounting solution details. Do you think it's practical to mount the ball lower on the display unit (possibly where the serial number label is) and then be able to access the hazard lights switch while the display is mounted? I don't have any need for the autostart cancel button since that feature is disabled when in towing mode and the traction control is rarely used, but I do use the hazards from time to time when traffic ahead is slowing suddenly and I have a vehicle in my slipstream
Solomon.m
I'm not certain. The monitor may become a bit top-heavy, so on bumpy roads or even accelerating (ahem, not with an Airstream) it may tip. I can flip the monitor forward very quickly to hit the hazard button as I have it set up. Good question though...
Spartanfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanfam View Post
Solomon.m
I'm not certain. The monitor may become a bit top-heavy, so on bumpy roads or even accelerating (ahem, not with an Airstream) it may tip. I can flip the monitor forward very quickly to hit the hazard button as I have it set up. Good question though...
This is my rear camera monitor mounted to the windshield with the stock adjustable suction cup assembly that came with the unit. Wife just positions it, sitting on center speaker, using the suction cup attached to the windshield. In the dropdown console in front of my center speaker, is my TPMS with it's stock mount. Easy instal and very sturdy; the adjustments with the stock camera mount have several easy to adjust settings; once you get it set the way you want, lock down the knobs, installation goes pretty quick next time you use it.

Great visibility, very "secure" when driving and no speaker degradation with our radio and speaker system that came with the King Ranch. Tell me again, why you think you need some additional mounting hardware for this; what's the issue? Our phones are connected to the system via bluetooth so don't need to see/touch our phones while driving to call or receive calls. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camera and tpms mount.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	427868  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Tell me again, why you think you need some additional mounting hardware for this; what's the issue?
Speaking only for myself, I don't like anything attached to the windshield. Blocks my view, hard to reach, awkward, my monitor is much larger.
But most would find my RAM arm system to be clunky so I understand.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
My experience with both the rearview camera monitor and TPMS suction cup mounts is, lightly dampen the suction cup before placing against the windshield and it will stay put until you remove it.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Speaking only for myself, I don't like anything attached to the windshield. Blocks my view, hard to reach, awkward, my monitor is much larger.

Also note that sticking any electronic stuff to the windshield is illegal in some states. California is one….I have data on this.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:21 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
mastic beach , New York
The Silverado 2019 has enough room to mount in front of the radio. I used velcro strips and DAP glue. Removes nicely. The Velco strips are a conversation piece.

Mike
Old 02-08-2023, 09:45 AM   #16
GB

2016 27' International
1997 34' Limited
Saint Cloud , Florida
Builtright and Arkon mounts for camera and cell phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
"I’ve been looking for a better way to mount the monitor."

Thank you for sharing! I will be ordering a Steelie set up too.
Look at Built Industries for the Tray mount and Arkon for the mounts for the camera and anything else you want. Easy to install.

https://builtrightind.com/products/b...17-f-250-f-350

I installed this bracket in my 2016 F150 on the dash tray and mounted my camera and cell phone holders from Arkon on that.

https://www.arkon.com/category/camera-mount.html

I got this from Journeyman (thiel on airforums)
https://youtu.be/giw4uMKFqDU

Great Youtube video.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Builtright mount.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	427896  

"Everyone buys on emotion and justifies with logic.
That is why I own 2 Airstreams... I needed them."
gblackburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
burnet , Texas
power for backup camera

a bit off topic, but my new Silverado does not have a cigarette lighter plug, only USB's. the USB's do not have enough power for the monitor, so the only solution that i have found is an AC/DC adapter plugged in to the in-console AC outlet.
When i looked at new F-150's it didn't apppear that they have a cigarette lighter plug either.
Dinosaur?
jrob793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
So you have a "larger" monitor for the rear view camera that came with AS? I thought they were all the same from AS?

I don't have an issue with visibility nor access from driver seat, but I have an F250...may be different arrangement with the RAM. I used my same arrangement with our previous F150 and our 25'. What ever works, right?
Old 02-08-2023, 11:11 AM   #19
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Proclipusa.com

I used products from procilp.com. I have my gps and backup camera on individual mounts. I got an angled adapter, so the camera faces me while mounted. These clip into the dash & A/C vent without obstructing visibilty, and no drilling required. Proclip has many adapters. Check it out.

Proclipusa.com
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So you have a "larger" monitor for the rear view camera that came with AS? I thought they were all the same from AS?
I don't have the Airstream system.
I have the Haloview system with the 7" monitor. (7108) I installed the camera inside the rear window of the Airstream and power it from a USB outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-Digi...2-63e904010ad0