RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Audi Q8 and towing!

While Iím looking at CPO Audi Q7ís I came across some CPO Audi Q8ís and wondered if anyone has towed with a Q8?

The overall engine specs and towing capacity seem to be the same as the Audi Q7.

Thoughts?
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Tow what?

Iím sure youíve ready the wide range of differing thoughts on what you can/should tow vs what is not ideal.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we have a q5 and pull a sport 22FB
i asked dealers and the q5 can easily pull a 25 FC

thus your q8 can do this and more!
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post

And youíre how many thousands of pounds over spec? I have an SQ 5 no way can it safely tow a 25 and I doubt a 23.

Pull it no problem... safely tow... not a chance.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
Old 11-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post

As jonDNC says, there is no way a Q5 can pull a 25' Airstream safely at North American road speeds without risk of oversteer, jackknife and rollover. If you want to putter around town at 35 mph sure, hitch it up. When a dealer contradicts the manufacturer's technical team, who are you going to trust? If you trust the words of the dealer over the manufacturer guidance, then heaven help you.

Audi uses their European tow limit guidance and there is a licensing ceiling at 7,700 lb so the Q7 and Q8 get the same rating. in practice the Q7 can nicely tow a 23' Airstream without stability risk and a Q8 can tow a 25' Airstream. Going over that guideline requires finesse, but it can be done to a limited extent. You will find people who far exceed this guidance and report good results, but know that they are seasoned drivers who are able to manage the risk they adopt by ensuring the trailer always tracks with the vehicle and doesn't get out of kilter, because if it does, the vehicles are too light and the trailer inertia will win, the vehicle is too light to pull the trailer back in line.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Yes you can

I'm not sure what people do with their trailers to need huge trucks. Airstreams are made to be towed with a car.

I towed an fb 25fter with a Porsche Cayenne, that has a smaller wheelbase than either of the Q's you are looking at. The Cayenne handled the trailer without a problem, in the wind, on the hills, start and stopping. It was a dream. I have a fancy propride hitch and that may have been the key to my success. I don't know as this is my first trailer.

I got the idea of using the Porsche when I looked at a 26u and the tow vehicle was a smaller MB suv (don't remember the model). He had gone to Canada for a bracket to transfer more weight to his front wheels and he said the same thing, it was a dream. He drove from Tucson to Maine every year.

I now have a pickup, not because of towing issues, but because of the pickup bed. We put all kinds of things in the bed that wouldn't fit in the back of the suv, including the generator and gasoline. The bed is a much nicer storage area than in the back of the suv. I would think long and hard about this aspect.

I give a small nod to the truck's 2 ft longer wheelbase when towing and a huge demerit to the truck's extra wheelbase when driving it around without the trailer.

Good luck.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Audi Q8 and towing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2trailer View Post
I'm not sure what people do with their trailers to need huge trucks. Airstreams are made to be towed with a car.

Mike

Mike. This is not true, airstreams are meant to be towed by an appropriately sized and specified vehicle. A 16 is not a 33.

They are all designed to be easier to tow than a SOB trailer.

Take your example on I40 either headed east out of Asheville toward Marion or west towards Knoxville past Maggie Valley etc. and driving the speed limit being passed by a semi in the mountains where itís curvey (marked either 35 or 45 for trucks).

It can get very interesting if itís windy, rainy or even a nice sunny day with a big rig in a hurry.

I got caught coming from Knoxville toward Asheville towing my 27 with a 1500 AT4 GMC that I thought was big enough, had a semi pass me in a curve going 10 over, he was in control, I was in control but really felt him when he went by. Flash forward, replaced the AT4 with a F350, same circumstances, never felt him go by... knew he was there saw him come up and pass, but never felt a push.

Thatís why...

And then we can have the stuff conversation- me to wife, you want to bring it sure... weight limit what weight limit as long as under CGVW which is really hard to get to for me even with all tanks full.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
Old 11-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Can you provide evidence for this? I have not been able to find this guidance. Tell me what car has a towing rating sufficient to tow modern day 30-34' Airstreams.

Quote:
I towed an fb 25fter with a Porsche Cayenne, that has a smaller wheelbase than either of the Q's you are looking at. The Cayenne handled the trailer without a problem, in the wind, on the hills, start and stopping. It was a dream. I have a fancy propride hitch and that may have been the key to my success. I don't know as this is my first trailer.
Indeed it was the hitch that contributed, but still a 25' is a far cry from a 34'.

Quote:
I got the idea of using the Porsche when I looked at a 26u and the tow vehicle was a smaller MB suv (don't remember the model). He had gone to Canada for a bracket to transfer more weight to his front wheels and he said the same thing, it was a dream. He drove from Tucson to Maine every year.

I now have a pickup, not because of towing issues, but because of the pickup bed. We put all kinds of things in the bed that wouldn't fit in the back of the suv, including the generator and gasoline. The bed is a much nicer storage area than in the back of the suv. I would think long and hard about this aspect.
The Porsche and similar do well up to 25-26' but have stability issues beyond that. Also, I'd never be able to get 1/4 my gear into my wife's SUV. Even the Porsche is not a "car" it is an SUV. Would love to hear about that car that can safely tow "Airstreams". (presumably all Airstreams) at North American roadway speeds on all North American roads.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:

Good luck.

Mike
Mike,

The second section of your post (that I edited) is my point about camping using a pick up for my TV.

2007 Classic Ltd S/O. From the door sticker unit Base Weight 8029Lbs, GVWR 10,300Lbs, Years ago we put the tongue on a 1000Lb Sherline and it couldn't weigh it. 2005 Dodge Ram 5.9L Cummins 6 speed GVWR 20,000Lbs.

I'm firmly and always will be in the tow with a truck crowd.

It looks like you're in agreement with the versatility or capacity of a PU vs. any SUV.

My partial list of always on board camping/cooking gear.

Weber 100, double burner propane stove, 20# tank, propane firepit, Dutch oven cooking table, at least 2 cast iron skillets, large and smaller Dutch ovens, jacks to service tires on AS, 5 gal bucket full of outside cooking tools, 5 gal bucket of briquettes, two Coleman stoves, two Coleman lanterns, extra camp chairs, folding table, 10X10 pop up shelter, ice maker, larger coffee pots varies by occasion, leveling wood, sometimes bikes and always hand tools. And IF it's a local SC park I can carry firewood.

Tools is it's own category. Last trip I didn't need any. But a good collection of mechanics tools, a selection of electrical terminals, small PEX kit, 3/4" X 40" breaker bar for hitch ball tightening for someone else last used this Sept, torque wrench, mulitmeter and other stuff.

Oh yeah, my cardboard box oven. Cakes, pies, casseroles, cookies anything that needs baked in camp including pizza up to a 20" Lodge cast iron skillet size. Yup, for real.

My AS enjoyment is a partner in outdoor cooking we do use the fridge but rarely cook in the AS. Campfire time is a great way to enjoy the evening and a center piece for making new friends.

My Dodge Ram carries the gear that makes my trip fun for us and carries the gear and tools that makes my trip special for us.

And for the SUV owners your at a state park w/o sewer where do you put your Blue Boy?

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I went on a Airstream caravan in the Rockies. One of the rigs was a Q8 Audi towing a 28' Airstream. He made every checkpoint just like everybody else and the days I followed him it looked fine. No hint of sway or problems. He liked towing with the Audi. I had a hard time keeping up with my 2500 and a 25'. I have no idea how "safe" it is. The brakes on that thing are impressive when you look through the wheels at them.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
A note on towing combination stability:

While driving if you observe a trailer of any kind that is not tracking with the tow vehicle, but instead shifts a bit a bit to one side or the other and then back, or rolls a bit on its suspension from side to side sorta like a bobble head or you can see that the trailer coupler is pushing and pulling on the ball side to side or up and down or back and forth, then the trailer is unstable at that speed for the road and weather conditions. It is either loaded incorrectly, has mechanical issues or is hitched poorly, is traveling too fast for its design, or is being overly influenced by variable wind forces. If the combination continues down the road unabated, the trailer movement never amplifies and never causes the vehicle to shift with it to any degree and never requires the driver to make any steering adjustments, then while the trailer is unstable, the combination is stable.

Likewise, inside the tow vehicle, a great smooth comfortable ride is evidence the trailer is stable at that point in time for that speed and conditions but is not any assurance the combination is stable. Towing combination stability refers to the ability (or not) of the tow vehicle to properly respond to adverse situations at all times for all expected situations. If the vehicle is able to overcome adverse impulses and forces imposed by the trailer and maintain control then the combination is stable.

Trailer stability is for the most part independent of towing combination stability, but combination stability is very much dependent on trailer stability.

So what one observes while watching other combinations or feels and perceives while in the tow vehicle is trailer stability. If the trailer is stable, it is not possible to observe or confirm tow vehicle capability or combination stability nor is is possible to predict combination stability for other travel conditions.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I went on a Airstream caravan in the Rockies. One of the rigs was a Q8 Audi towing a 28' Airstream. He made every checkpoint just like everybody else and the days I followed him it looked fine. No hint of sway or problems. He liked towing with the Audi. I had a hard time keeping up with my 2500 and a 25'. I have no idea how "safe" it is. The brakes on that thing are impressive when you look through the wheels at them.

Thanks for sharing... I need to compare the specs but supposedly the Q7 and Q8 are very similar and can tow 7,700 lbs. Possibly the Q7 depending on year has a different engine supercharged and not turbocharged... tho slay have changed in 2020 for the Q7 which matches the 2019 Q8.

I think the Q7 is more practical but the Q8 size only a few inches shorter matches more of my initial hope being closer to the Mercedes GLE and Porsche Cayenne.

Iíll test drive the Mercedes GLE 43AMG and 350 4matic tomorrow.
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote