Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
elp

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Another Newbie With Questions

Hello!

I've been stalking here for quite some time, doing some research, etc. and we finally pulled the trigger and picked up our now 2021 FC 23CB. We have it at home and are super excited to get out with it.

I've got a couple of newbie questions!

1. After following this forum for quite a bit, it looks like Proven Industries is the best coupler/hitch lock, though does anyone know if they have one that will work with the 2021?
2. I'm looking for recommendations on Tire Pressure Monitors too.

I've been using all of the great lists/advice on the basics needed to start using it, though these two are bigger purchases.

Lastly, any general/go too advice for noobs!

Thank you all!

Elp
elp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp View Post

Settle in with a refreshment and read through this entire thread, and subscribe to it: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f14...ad-166085.html

Congrats on your Airstream!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Hello!

I've been stalking here for quite some time, doing some research, etc. and we finally pulled the trigger and picked up our now 2021 FC 23CB. We have it at home and are super excited to get out with it.

1. After following this forum for quite a bit, it looks like Proven Industries is the best coupler/hitch lock, though does anyone know if they have one that will work with the 2021?

I've been using all of the great lists/advice on the basics needed to start using it, though these two are bigger purchases.

Thank you all!

Elp
I don't use a coupler/hitch lock so I can't help with #1, but I have the TST tire pressure system and like it.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Another vote for the TST TPMS. Easy to use and accurate.

And welcome to the forum. It’s great to have you with us! Have you considered joining the AS Club?

Best regards!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Don't waste your money on a Proven Industries coupler lock. They are easily removed by anyone with a battery powered drill in about 30 seconds. A cheaper lock will be just as effective as a deterrent, however, none offer much real protection. YouTube has a good video on the Proven lock being drilled out and removed. Just google it.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
elp, congratulations and welcome to the Airstream Community and Forums!

Ditto on the TST TPMS for me.

Check out the Keep Your Daydream website and YouTube Channel. In particular watch their RV Newbie video

Good luck and enjoy your new Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F63283A4-8BB9-4313-9C2E-AF2449F9F428.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	389099  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
Tst
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard👍

We've had EZtire for 4 Seasons, faultless.

No hitch lock....Duct tape if it's broken, WD40 if its seized or bugs need cleaning, a hammer if it doesn't fit, and band aids if you miss.

Sweet Streams

Bob
🇺🇸

Bob
🇺🇸
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
There is a new Proven Lock that works with the Demco coupler on the 2020+ Airstreams. I've got one for my 2020 and it works well. The lock design has also been updated to prevent the drilling issue mentioned above. I think that any lock can be defeated if a thief is motivated. The point of the Proven Lock or any other is to discourage the thief, and hope that they move to an easier target.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

I can not give you any guidance on the two items you are asking about as we use neither.

Just get out there and have fun in your Airstream. It will be the greatest time of your life.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
There is a new Proven Lock that works with the Demco coupler on the 2020+ Airstreams. I've got one for my 2020 and it works well. The lock design has also been updated to prevent the drilling issue mentioned above. I think that any lock can be defeated if a thief is motivated. The point of the Proven Lock or any other is to discourage the thief, and hope that they move to an easier target.
I second what Dennis said and will add that the new Proven lock also allows you to lock the safety chain inside the lock enclosure.
Brainodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
$35 @ Harbor Freight. It fits and it deters thieves. Made in USA.
https://www.harborfreight.com/ez-loc...ock-98518.html
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
$35 @ Harbor Freight. It fits and it deters thieves. Made in USA.
https://www.harborfreight.com/ez-loc...ock-98518.html

Thirty seconds with a cordless angle grinder, and that lock is history.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Po...s/N-5yc1vZc2fw
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Lock picking Lawyer - Not your average convenience thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
Don't waste your money on a Proven Industries coupler lock. They are easily removed by anyone with a battery powered drill in about 30 seconds. A cheaper lock will be just as effective as a deterrent, however, none offer much real protection. YouTube has a good video on the Proven lock being drilled out and removed. Just google it.
First of all - I watched the video of the Proven Industries puck lock being drilled by the Lock Picking Lawyer - I have watched him pick & destroy dozens of locks, of many types on you tube, he is an expert who obviously devotes much time, expense to his hobby. He is not your typical meth head looking for an easy score. He knows exactly where to drill, it would not surprise me if he practiced on another lock prior to making his video.

Secondly, If drilling is a concern Proven Industries has an upgraded stainless lock, while it is expensive I'm sure it is much harder to drill than aluminum.

Thirdly, If you look @ a great many commercial freight truck boxes, security is provided a puck lock in a heavy duty enclosure similar to Proven Industries arrangement.

Lock your coupler, remove your chains, make a convenient way to de-power your jack and if you have tandem wheels run a chain thru the pair and lock. Perhaps most of all don't leave your shiny airstream unattended in a sketchy locale.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #15
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We use the TST tire monitoring system - works perfectly. There are several good coupler vaults out there however if you want security I would suggest you read our Blog Post on it. marriedwithairstream.com/trailer-security/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #16
elp

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Thank you all! So much a great advice!!! We've watched the KYD video, and it was very helpful. I'm going to look into the TST for sure.

Thanks again!!!
elp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Hello!
Thank you all!
Elp
https://megahitchlock.com/closer-loo...ler-vault-pro/
Here is a good one. I don't use it but I don't drag a $100k trailer around.

Here is the one I use. It will stop them for a short while.
https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/cou...-trailer-lock/

As far as hitch pin locks go. I use a 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt, double nut it with a lock nut for the backup. And use loctite on the nuts also. I watched a video of a retired thief explaining the best way to lock a hitch. The bolt is what he recommended. he said the bolt slowed him down the most and many times he passed it up due to the time and tools involved to remove it. He used a small piece of pipe and removed every hitch lock available, each was removed in less than 30 seconds.

A wheel lock is good also.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #18
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
I purchased a Proven Lock for my new 2021 Flying Cloud 25, buying the one that was supposed to fit the newer Airstreams with the Demco coupler. Evidently Airstream modified the coupler design slightly recently, so that the one that I purchased did not fit. Proven contacted Airstream, found out what happened and sent me a new one that fit perfectly. Great, responsive service. I would contact Proven if you purchase one to make sure you receive the correct model.
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Advice for Newbie

Advice for newbie “elp.”

elp, have you ever flown a plane? If you have, then you know the imperative of checklists. If you haven’t flown a plane, doubtless you can IMAGINE the need for such checklists as “Takeoff” and “Landing.”

Many versions of checklists are available. First place to look is your Airstream Owner’s Manual.

As you develop your own rhythms, coming and going, you will discover two attributes of a successful checklist: COMPLETENESS and SEQUENCE. Some checklist items come before others. Landing Gear Down THEN Touchdown. (In the Navy we had other items to worry about prior to hitting the boat: Flaps, Speed Break and Tailhook the obvious.)

If you haven’t already acquired “The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming” and “The Nearly Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance” by Rich Luhr, I highly recommend doing so.

John’s Takeoff Checklist is four pages long, laminated. Still a work in progress so not available for sharing. And he uses it. Every outing.
John & Roberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
30 seconds, eh? There is no lock at any price that will prevent the theft of your airstream; if they really want it they’ll get it. A lock is nothing but a deterrent. The Milwaukee grinder you speak of would make enough noise to wake the neighborhood or campground, or someone with alternative defensive options.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote