Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We made the trip from Atlanta to Jackson Center in October of 2019 for some minor warranty work on our 2018 Serenity 28. Fantastic service from everyone at Airstream, and in the town of JC. Looking forward to going back...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
You know...

If the new units were not priced so high and the product delivered was not so lacking in workmanship and quality equal to the price and expectations of the new owner, I’m sure tempers wouldn’t be in the hypertensive range. Just sayin....
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Follow up to my last post

Just thought I should also let you know I got a call yesterday from *Brad* 👍, giving me an update on the work (which is proceeding really well from the sound of it) and also asking where we would like the second 30amp connector placed for cosmetic appeal. I’m now a raving fan of the AS Factory!

Also, some of you mentioned having less than great service at your dealer, so I need to say we have had really good service from AS Adventures NW and truly excellent work and service from Ultimate Airstreams, also owned by the same guy.

On another track, if you are in the area of the Factory, don’t miss visiting Wapakoneta. It is a real treat and they have a vibrant community that’s intent on revitalizing the town including a river walk that’s under development now. It’s also the home town of Neil Armstrong 😊...
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #24

Canton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1burke View Post
Just thought I should also let you know I got a call yesterday from *Brad* 👍, giving me an update on the work (which is proceeding really well from the sound of it) and also asking where we would like the second 30amp connector placed for cosmetic appeal. I’m now a raving fan of the AS Factory!

Also, some of you mentioned having less than great service at your dealer, so I need to say we have had really good service from AS Adventures NW and truly excellent work and service from Ultimate Airstreams, also owned by the same guy.

On another track, if you are in the area of the Factory, don’t miss visiting Wapakoneta. It is a real treat and they have a vibrant community that’s intent on revitalizing the town including a river walk that’s under development now. It’s also the home town of Neil Armstrong 😊...
Do I understand correctly that you added a second 30A connection to connect the coach to a power supply?
jedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:43 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Added 2nd ac with its own 30 amp

Sorry, I lost the name I’m replying to: yes, I had not known you could donut this way, but they told me of the choice when I talked to Artie at the very beginning. It has its own 30 amp breaker (they’re putting it inside the little cabinet under the fridge), and it’s own connection on the outside. Avoids having to covert everything to 50 amp and thus is about half the cost.

G
Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #26

Canton , North Carolina
Thank you! What do you use the second 30A connection for? Is it an alternate for the original? My interest is in having a second 50A connection on the front of the coach to facilitate plugging into a generator in the back of the tow vehicle instead of stretching out a long cable.
jedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:09 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Oh, I’m not knowledgeable enough to give you any advice on that. The factory just put the extra ac on its own 30 amp so as not to have to convert the whole system to 50 amp. To use the extra ac, I have to plug a 50-39amp Pigtail into a 50amp outlet while also using the existing 30 amp for the other ac and the rest of the trailer.
BTW, for others on this thread, we got our AS back yesterday, and they did a masterful job of installing the new ac. We’re very pleased!
Old 07-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Now on our fifth Airstream, all except this one have been to the factory, always had great service and a good time as well, I always spend way to much in the shop. Our two Labradors love the place as well.

Apprecite the clarification by the OP on this issue.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Hey Bob, you know how the saying goes of the squeaky wheel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We've been waiting for some parts since early April. They did tell you in so many words they would not call you until they got the parts, they very well may be waiting until all the parts are in before calling.
Well I did not have to squeak... just a phone call to, and a call back from.

Parts are now in stock. We have an August appointment and will be able to use the TerraPort. Hot-diggity Wally

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Our JC appointment is tomorrow....

My DW just proffered an interesting question I have no answer for.

"Why don't they have one on the TerraPort you could use if yours needed to stay another day?

Makes sense to me....I'll ask tomorrow.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
My DW just proffered an interesting question I have no answer for.

"Why don't they have one on the TerraPort you could use if yours needed to stay another day?

Makes sense to me....I'll ask tomorrow.

Bob
����
While they are working on your Airstream, you go in the comfortable lounge area, hot chocolate, soda at your whim and sit around and chat with other owner's having their trailer's worked upon.

Also buy Airstream... stuff you cannot find anywhere else. Buy some spare Rock Guards that they take Off the Line with hardware... if you are a perfectionist when your Rock Guards get... beat.

Then, by closing time, they tow YOUR trailer back to where you will be spending the evening.

So... they tow it into the shop in the AM.
...and tow it back to the TerraPort in the PM or earlier if done.

Did this in 2008 with our 2006 Safari. They needed five days to do the list on the 23 footer and whatever else they found we did not notice.

We tipped the two techs $50 each in unmarked envelopes the morning we left, as our appreciation. Also for doing such a great job. Sold the 2006 23 foot in 2014 and it was just... perfect.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #32
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Ray you mention the olden times, pre-Covid. You can certainly sit in the lounge area while wearing your mask. Cookies and treats are all gone. Store has moved a lot of stuff to the 'new' store down the street so the browsing isn't what it was. I was there in July and few folks were sitting in the lounge. Most when elsewhere.

Bob, unless the repairs mean the trailer is dissembled and uninhabitable they tow your trailer back to your site each afternoon and pick it up again in the morning at 0700. But no trailers for us to mooch in while ours is in the shop.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Ray you mention the olden times, pre-Covid. You can certainly sit in the lounge area while wearing your mask. Cookies and treats are all gone. Store has moved a lot of stuff to the 'new' store down the street so the browsing isn't what it was. I was there in July and few folks were sitting in the lounge. Most when elsewhere.

Bob, unless the repairs mean the trailer is dissembled and uninhabitable they tow your trailer back to your site each afternoon and pick it up again in the morning at 0700. But no trailers for us to mooch in while ours is in the shop.
Not without axles they won't. 😂
Yep...after 17yrs babying two 3500 axles new 4000's on the way.

Haven't been there since the early '90's.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I towed our 23 foot with two horses back the 'ole days'. Nancy was a Mule Skinner...

Gary. Thanks for the update.

The hot chocolate was my favorite in the morning.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
We were there when JC was busy fixing "Bismarks from the N. Dakota National.

We were on the road when the reefer pooped, they got us in & back on the road in 6hrs.

Bob
🇺🇸

The "63 Frantic Banana" on its way in....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E5482AA-462B-4A6E-B499-9DC3FA872E68_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	376917  
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #36
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktracy View Post
I have a 2019 FC 28RBT that I ordered new from a local AS dealer. I had several issues that needed to be resolved under warranty. Nothing major, but needing to be replaced or repaired. I tried working with my local dealer and it was very frustrating. Nice guys but no results. They preferred to kick the can down the road. Everything was .. you'll have to come back. or we'll order the parts. I finally gave up and made an appointment with AS service center in Jackson Center. Best move I ever made. I had a list of items that fell under warranty and needed attention. I spent three days there and they fixed everything. These guys were great and I dont say that lightly. If I have any issues in the future I wouldnt hesitate to go again, and it's a 800 mile trip for me.
I see you are from VT, who is your "local dealer"? Petes in S. Burlington?

We have the same rig, 2019 FC 28RB (Queen though) with about 20 pages of warranty work that have now been documented and hopefully approved. They had our rig for 6 weeks this summer. From what I can see, it was 6 weeks to do administrative work. We went and picked it up last weekend while they wait for the parts so we can get some part of our 2020 season going.

I think I see what you mean by "kicking it down the road" there are a number of issues that I didn't think were that major until they uncovered the fact that Airstream didn't want to approve various procedures. Loose floorboard in the rear bedroom (streetside) that was fixed by putting baby powder under the floor (took me 20 minutes to clean that mess up. That isn't the dealer's issue though, it is actually in the Airstream guide as a "fix" which actually made the squeak way, way worse now. They need approval to go further. An out of alignment rear zip dee arm that I though was a simple fix would involve moving the lower bracket over a 1/2 inch to align it correctly (why the factory didn't do this correctly is beyond me). The problem is it would leave holes in the main panel which would require panel replacement. They worked on dickering back and forth for the entire 6 weeks and got no further. There is now a chance they can fix this when we bring it in the next time.

I wanted to bring the rig to Jackson, but didn't have the time to drive it out there, wait, and drive it back. Now I am wondering if it would have been quicker. At least the red tape would be moot.

I might book an appointment for JC for the spring as a backup for these fixes.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , VT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
I see you are from VT, who is your "local dealer"? Petes in S. Burlington?

We have the same rig, 2019 FC 28RB (Queen though) with about 20 pages of warranty work that have now been documented and hopefully approved. They had our rig for 6 weeks this summer. From what I can see, it was 6 weeks to do administrative work. We went and picked it up last weekend while they wait for the parts so we can get some part of our 2020 season going.

I think I see what you mean by "kicking it down the road" there are a number of issues that I didn't think were that major until they uncovered the fact that Airstream didn't want to approve various procedures. Loose floorboard in the rear bedroom (streetside) that was fixed by putting baby powder under the floor (took me 20 minutes to clean that mess up. That isn't the dealer's issue though, it is actually in the Airstream guide as a "fix" which actually made the squeak way, way worse now. They need approval to go further. An out of alignment rear zip dee arm that I though was a simple fix would involve moving the lower bracket over a 1/2 inch to align it correctly (why the factory didn't do this correctly is beyond me). The problem is it would leave holes in the main panel which would require panel replacement. They worked on dickering back and forth for the entire 6 weeks and got no further. There is now a chance they can fix this when we bring it in the next time.

I wanted to bring the rig to Jackson, but didn't have the time to drive it out there, wait, and drive it back. Now I am wondering if it would have been quicker. At least the red tape would be moot.

I might book an appointment for JC for the spring as a backup for these fixes.
Yes, that's the dealer. After reading your post, I wouldnt even fool around with Pete's. They made me crazy. You call, make an appointment, that's usually a month away, then leave it there in their lot and they will get to it in a week or week and a half? what? Why did I make an appointment? I dont want to leave my A/S in your lot, just sitting there for that period of time. Nothing good happens in RV lots. Much safer at my house. Besides we use it ALL summer. So after parking it for a good week plus, they finally get to look at the warranty issues. It has to be approved by A/S, then we have to get the parts. Are you kidding me? No thank you. I will take it to Jackson Center. Cant recommend it any stronger. You will get all your warranty issues taken care of in one visit w/o all the drama and BS from Pete's. If any other issues pop up I would not hesitate to drive out there again. I wish you luck. Dont let Pete's make you crazy
dicktracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , VT
another item as I forgot to mention. The service dept at Pete's works on all brands and types of RV's. In other words, "jack of all trades, master of none"
At A/S in Jackson Center, that's all they work on. They know all the in's and outs. Whatever issue you have, they have seen it and worked on it many times before. And the parts are there. No waiting.
dicktracy is offline   Reply With Quote