Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanlb View Post
Hello Khale,

The thing with the front a-frame is that it transfers the load to two points (hitch ball and axles), so the front section is actually a beam.

A loaded rear will behave more like a leaver (fulcrum at the axles and loaded mass at the other end of an unsupported plank/channel).

Think diving board vs scaffold.

I have tried this with my coach, placed 160lbs on the rear receiver behind the bumper and…. Completely dangerous! Impossible to keep the thing from fishtailing at anything over 55.

Not to mention, had I left it there it would probably peel the frame away from the shell in short order due to all the bouncing.

But hey, if there’s a possible way to do this that does work then please share what you’ve discovered.
I believe the model trailer you have, has a lot to do with it. A Bambi trailer could have a problem. In my case a Classic will not. I would think that the larger trailers would be fine. 30, 27, 28, 25. Any large bodied unit.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I believe the model trailer you have, has a lot to do with it. A Bambi trailer could have a problem. In my case a Classic will not. I would think that the larger trailers would be fine. 30, 27, 28, 25. Any large bodied unit.

And, I'd suggest which Bambi also matters... the 20' ones have a more substantial frame than the others for some reason or another...

(FWIW, I have a 20', but, it came w/ a Fiamma on it, so it's what I'm using... if we need to take the bikes w/ us, I put them in the truck bed... but if I really needed, I could bring the Yakima along in the truck bed, and use it once we arrived... but, she's not so interested in biking anymore, so, I don't know if I'll ever really need to bother....)
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Eugene , Oregon
https://torkliftcentral.com/airstream-accessory-hitch-x8000

I ordered the above Airstream specific bolt on hitch receiver from Torklift International (Kent, WA designed and manufactured). There are two versions depending on width of your trailer—I ordered the x8001 like others here have. Torklift is a top tier manufacturer and by all accounts make superb products.

I’ve also purchased a Kuat Transfer V2 two bike rack which is specifically designed for RV usage. I confirmed my Kuat NV 2.0 is not. The Transfer is 15 lbs lighter than the NV so that’s a bonus.

I hear on this thread arguments for and against hitch receivers on the rear of Airstream trailers. The divide of opinion on this topic is both interesting and informative. I feel like I’ve personally benefited from the discussion.

Given that Airstream dealerships, at least some, have a rather long history of advising customers on the how to’s of having a hitch receiver installed on their Airstreams eg. Airstream of New Mexico recommends Tom’s RV of Albuquerque, I find this a compelling argument that the real world problems, not theoretical, of mounting a hitch receiver and bike rack to the rear of an AS should not be a concern if done intelligently. Furthermore I don’t believe an organization with the reputation that Torklift carries would set out to design and manufacture a hitch receiver specifically designed for Airstream trailers if it were a bad idea. Their reputation is on the line. As is all the dealerships that have steered customers to these various options.
AirOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:00 AM   #64

2020 30' Classic
Norton Shores , Michigan
Would you please tell us the make and model of your bolt on hitch?
hmlorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmlorey View Post
Would you please tell us the make and model of your bolt on hitch?
It's right there on the first line of the post above yours.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:48 AM   #66
Rivet Master

After seeing how new airstreams are put together, house/floor onto frame with NO support plate on frame for and aft, we would never attach any kind of weight to trailer rear. New trailers seem to be afflicted with “front end “ separation because the new way of construction eliminates re-enforcement plate front and rear attached to frame to help secure shell when its riveted to plate. The natural stance of trailer frame in building is to “charge frame” ex placing jacks at front and rear to push frame ends up. so sideways look give frame a very slight “smile.” Then shell is attached, frame end supports are removed, shell is taught and charged so shell center pushes upward as frame ends lowered a bit. This gives trailer its monoque quality. ANY, weight resting on rear bumper attacks the monoque rigidity. Just Say NO to hitches
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:41 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
It's right there on the first line of the post above yours.
Their fine-print says it will not fit ANY Bambi with a bumper….either factory OR aftermarket.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:39 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Also says, "This product is not affiliated with or approved by Thor Tech, Inc. or Airstream, Inc."
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:06 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Uhhh...Well....That looks like it took quite a bit of work to install. AS frames are not designed to take the loads imposed by sticking a bike carrier into that receiver then hanging 40/50/60/70/80 LBS of bikes on it.

Not a good idea in my book. But, everybody is able to do there own thing. Please keep the forum posted on how this works out after first long trip with couple of bikes hanging on there.
I have had my bike rack bolted directly on the frame on two different 30' Airstreams for 12 years . The newest and so far the best is a Hollywood bike rack that carries two E-bikes that weigh 110 lbs with the batteries removed. The Rack itself weighs 55 lbs for a total of 165 lbs.
I have traveled in every direction in our great country up and down mountains with this set up without any problems or glitches whatsoever.
If the frames on these Airstream are that flimsy as you suggest they shouldn't be on the road to begin with.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:44 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
In the old days the trailer where lighter and the frames lighter. I have worked on 1965 vintage trailers. The cabinets are luan and the frame is basically structural studs. Its easy to see where the suggestion of no hitch’s comes from.

The newer trailers gained weight. They have real frames and real plywood cabinets. Just check the weigh stickers. Old trailers are 4000 pounds, new 6000 pounds.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:24 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have a hatch on our Fc25fb .
here is the item i made to hold two ebike between the seats
after we remove the table
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike holder-s.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	427724   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike holder -rear-s.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	427725  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike holder -front-s.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	427726  
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:39 PM   #72
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I can rationalize just about anything into working...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we replaced our home bathroom floors with Marmolium. we had extra.

i added strips to the base of the bike rack so that it did not scratch the floor.

it works very well
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:44 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
You can do it. I mounted a hitch between the skid plates with the receiver tube extending forward to the first cross member. It has worked great for 20k miles. I use a 1-Up bike rack for two e-bikes 60lbs each.
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:05 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDiego View Post
You can do it. I mounted a hitch between the skid plates with the receiver tube extending forward to the first cross member. It has worked great for 20k miles. I use a 1-Up bike rack for two e-bikes 60lbs each.
Hey DonDiego! You're towing what I've got - 2018 28RB Flying Cloud. So, if I'm reading the post right you've got 20K miles on your 28RB with the rear receiver hitch (Torklift?) and the 1-Up bike rack with no problems. Is that right? Good access to the rear outside storage?
natwood1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
I've had more than one discussion with Airstream about this, and it is not something they suggest ever be done for basically all the reasons already discussed.

Having said that, if you could get the hitch bracket that mounts north of where the shell meets the frame, or closer to the axles, my guess is that you would be in a far better place than someone that just bolted one up around the bumper area. If you mounted one to the bumper area and have had no ill effects, consider yourself lucky, per the Airstream reps I've spoken to. However, if you are not lucky, it's an expensive fix. I know prior to buying a preowned Airstream myself, if I saw a hitch on the back or signs a hitch was mounted, I moved on, didn't even consider that unit.

I would have to agree with what I read here. There were no plates, no reinforcements to the shell/frame mating. Look what is happening with the front end separation. Airstream now places reinforcement brackets up front to counter the forces literally pulling the body from the frame. The back has no such reinforcements planned or currently deployed at the time of manufacture. I can hear the folks now, yea but that was with weight distribution bars and I only have 100-200lbs in bikes on mine. Very true, but it's basic geometry and the cantilever effect to a not as tall section of the frame. What has been described to be is not a matter of if, but when. Having seen first hand front end separation on my current unit, I can tell you without question bad things can happen....and at what weight limit? 50? 75, 100.....25? Could be an expensive lesson if you are wrong.

I did read that one outfit had such a hitch that mounted closer to the axles. If it were my rig and I was dead set on putting a hitch on, that would be the hitch I'd use, but no way I'd simply bolt on a hitch in the bumper area. It's your Airstream though, do with it what you'd like... I saw one guy have a small row boat he was pulling being his Airstream once. Made me cringe.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:26 AM   #77
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
So far, and I keep looking, I have not seen any reports of rear frame separation from carrying bikes on a receiver hitch. There may indeed be instances out there, but no one has reported them. I would imagine AS will never approve a rear receiver, because as soon as they do, someone will put a motorcycle or a pair of large generators back there. Why would they even test it, if they aren’t selling something that goes with it?
I personally have over 30,000 miles with a rear receiver hitch and two bikes. No issues at all with our 2020 25FBT. The 1UP carrier is the one we use now. Very solid and rigid mount. We carry two ebikes with batteries removed. Actually reasonably light without the batteries.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:56 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDiego View Post
Ditto here,
Same location , fabricated the cross bars myself use a Hollywood Bike Rack with two E bikes currently.
I have made that set up 10 years ago and transferred it to 2 different AS the current one bein a 30' Classic no issues whatsoever.
The E bikes weigh 54 lbs without the batteries.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:18 PM   #79

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Riverbank , California
We had a hitch welded in for bikes and a 4000mi trip through Montana and Canada. We had a 4bike tray setup and it was awful. The bikes bounced a lot, way more than I was comfortable with, the rack had to be tightened multiple times throughout the trip… we were told by REI that the NV2.0 and even with the extra 2 bike tray that it was RV rated and we would be fine… all not true! We had one bike that kept falling out of the mount and we would see it when we checked our camera… anyway, all that to say, we wont be hauling bikes back there anymore. We returned the rack and although we spent a ton to have the hitch mounted, it’s ok, I think this will be come a mounting point for a starlink Mast. The bikes are going on the bed of our truck

-Hank
Central Valley of California
Hreece04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:16 PM   #80
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreece04 View Post
We had a hitch welded in for bikes and a 4000mi trip through Montana and Canada. We had a 4bike tray setup and it was awful. The bikes bounced a lot, way more than I was comfortable with, the rack had to be tightened multiple times throughout the trip… we were told by REI that the NV2.0 and even with the extra 2 bike tray that it was RV rated and we would be fine… all not true! We had one bike that kept falling out of the mount and we would see it when we checked our camera… anyway, all that to say, we wont be hauling bikes back there anymore. We returned the rack and although we spent a ton to have the hitch mounted, it’s ok, I think this will be come a mounting point for a starlink Mast. The bikes are going on the bed of our truck
I hadn't read the NV 2.0 rack documentation, but I just looked it up. Kuat specifically notes that the only RVs the NV 2.0 is rated for are certain Class B motorhomes with limited rear overhang (rear axle to receiver distance). They exclude travel trailers in their documentation due to, as they put it, "high forces and extreme movements."

It is pretty clear that the receiver hitch bike rack manufacturers know about the issue of putting a bike rack on the back of a travel trailer. Apparently, in this case, the dealer didn't.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote