Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Buffalo , New York
Adding trailer hitch to back of Airstream to hold bike rack

I have wanted to put hitch to back Airstream for bike rack. Airstream solution is expensive and not flexible. Plus I have heard that some people had it ripe off that Aluminum skin.
I purchased a hitch from https://www.torklift.com/
I was concerned that it maybe to low by mounting it as per instructions.
So once I received unit I was convinced that this won’t work. Unit would hang down below skid plates.
So with a small amount of modification I gave up my rear storage compartment and put hitch in there.
See below pictures.

Any question please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	400320  
Butch7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Receiver Hitch on back of AS

Uhhh...Well....That looks like it took quite a bit of work to install. AS frames are not designed to take the loads imposed by sticking a bike carrier into that receiver then hanging 40/50/60/70/80 LBS of bikes on it.

Not a good idea in my book. But, everybody is able to do there own thing. Please keep the forum posted on how this works out after first long trip with couple of bikes hanging on there.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

One word

DON’T!
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7 View Post
I have wanted to put hitch to back Airstream for bike rack. Airstream solution is expensive and not flexible. Plus I have heard that some people had it ripe off that Aluminum skin.
I purchased a hitch from https://www.torklift.com/
I was concerned that it maybe to low by mounting it as per instructions.
So once I received unit I was convinced that this won’t work. Unit would hang down below skid plates.
So with a small amount of modification I gave up my rear storage compartment and put hitch in there.
See below pictures.

Any question please let me know.
Hi

You might want to update your info under the user profile section. That way folks will be able to easily see which trailer you have. It will save a lot of time answering the question: "what trailer is this on?" again and again.

So:

What trailer is that on?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Hello from the Southtowns.

No questions but I wouldn't chance it.
The AS uses a semi-monocoque design in which the trailer frame & skin contribute to overall stiffness.
It's not like you have the rear axle with a hitch attached 3ft behind it, the leverage arm is just too long IMHO.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
For the safety of yourself and others, I suggest you include a cable running from the bikes/carrier to the main frame incase the carrier or hitch fails.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Other than the loss of the bumper storage, it looks beautiful and outside the box thinking.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I store stuff in my rear bumper: sewer hose adapters, blocks, etc., I can't imagine giving up the storage area, there's not a lot to begin with, every bit of available storage is very useful. Hope you don't miss the storage space.....
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Forest , Virginia
I can’t comment on the structural strength, but I will say the craftsmanship of your work looks superb!
NDRaised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Tyrone , Georgia
I am in process of developing a bike rack using my 30ft classic as the design mule. The design bolts to the side members beneath the frame . the aluminum tube will be close to the rear skin but respectfully distanced hence minimal torque on the frame . With bikes off, full access to the rear locker exists and tag plate / lights remains visible.

Once done i plan on offering it for same...let me know if of interest
Black348RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
bozeman , Montana
Receiver hitch

I’ve installed receiver hitches on two airstreams - 22’ sport and 25’ FC. I’ve not only towed my drift boat but also used it for a bike rack without any issues. However, I avoid bumpy and non-paved roads.
budcolglazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
If I'm not mistaken, Airstream Nuts and Bolts in Alabama posted pics of damage done by this type of rear mounted hitch on his Instagram page. Like the others have said, it's a bad idea.
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Hello from the Southtowns.

No questions but I wouldn't chance it.
The AS uses a semi-monocoque design in which the trailer frame & skin contribute to overall stiffness.
It's not like you have the rear axle with a hitch attached 3ft behind it, the leverage arm is just too long IMHO.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
Exactly, we have lived with front-end shell separation, if you put significant "swing weight" on the frame's rear-end we will see the same with back-end shell separation! It is the shell ribs behind the wheels that are stiffening or holding up the frame in that zone.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
I see a lot of negative comments on attaching a hitch to the frame. Isn’t that the same frame that the a-frame in the front is attached to, that has 700 plus pounds of upward force and yanked on by 250hp trucks for 100s of thousands of miles. Just keep the bikes low and close to the trailer.
Khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Exactly, we have lived with front-end shell separation, if you put significant "swing weight" on the frame's rear-end we will see the same with back-end shell separation! It is the shell ribs behind the wheels that are stiffening or holding up the frame in that zone.
Nonsense.
I have fabricated a receiver that bolts to the skid u channels welded to the frame .
It fits nice and snug under the rear bumper keeping the bike handlebars a couple of inches from the rear window.
The entire setup bikes and all weigh in at 130 lbs.
Had it on our 2013 30' International and moved it to the 2017 30' Classic.
Been all over the country on some if the worst pavements imaginable and guess what no problems whatsoever.
The frame and the body continue arriving at the same place together everytime.
Thats 7 years of bouncing around with no issues on two different trailers.
And the beuty part is I can use the bike rack on the truck as well which came in handy on many trips.
The main raeson I did not want the Fiama.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Burien , Washington
We are planning to have Torklift in Seattle install a rear hitch on our 2013 23 FB. I've talked with Torklift about the shell separation issue. They have done these installations for some time. I asked if any customers had experienced this problem. They said they haven't had any reports of it and suggested we contact the local Airstream dealer, which is where we purchased our rig. I called them and they said they had referred customers to Torklift for this work and recommended them, and had received no reports of this problem.
While I appreciate the theoretical possibility of this being an issue and favor caution in making modifications in general, has *anyone* experienced this problem or had first hand verified knowledge of someone having this problem? I've asked this question in several threads and so far have seen no responses. Thanks for any info.
SeaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #17
SPW
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Atascadero , California
I have a receiver hitch attached to my 2016 FC 30' for carrying a bike rack and two bikes. The total weight is about 85#. The hitch is bolted to and between the skid plates so it is not the low point--skid plates still do their job. We have traveled about 20K miles with this configuration with absolutely no problem. The welds attaching the skid plates to the frame are like new and there is no sign of bending or excessive stress on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	400393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	400394  

Name:	IMG_2879.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	400395  
SPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You might want to update your info under the user profile section. That way folks will be able to easily see which trailer you have. It will save a lot of time answering the question: "what trailer is this on?" again and again.

So:

What trailer is that on?

Bob
It's an Airstream, silly :-)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPW View Post
I have a receiver hitch attached to my 2016 FC 30' for carrying a bike rack and two bikes. The total weight is about 85#. The hitch is bolted to and between the skid plates so it is not the low point--skid plates still do their job. We have traveled about 20K miles with this configuration with absolutely no problem. The welds attaching the skid plates to the frame are like new and there is no sign of bending or excessive stress on the frame.
That looks really nice - what bike rack have you chosen to plug into that?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Go to a welding shop and have them put a hitch receiver tube on the front of your TV. Will just need to wash the bugs off your bikes more often.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote