Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2010 19' Flying Cloud
2003 28' Classic
Tulsa , Oklahoma
23FB Flying Cloud 2016 owners

If anyone else here has bought a 2016 23FB Flying Cloud (or any other new AS with the rear bathroom floor plan).....can you tell me if you have a bathroom vent or not? I've been trying to get an answer from my dealer for a couple of months - my 19' Bambi had one and it sure would be nice if mine was just missed during the construction. Really was nice in the Bambi to vent the steam ;-)
BulldogX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Yes it does

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Actually, i am not sure, thought it did, mine is not in yet.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I have a 19' Bambi and a 2015 23FB; the FB does not have a vent directly in the bath area, however there is a gap between the top of the door and the ceiling with a Fantastic Fan just on the other side. It acts as the bathroom fan, being more effective if the bath window is cracked open.

I believe it works as well as the Bambi with the bath vent.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2010 19' Flying Cloud
2003 28' Classic
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I have a 19' Bambi and a 2015 23FB; the FB does not have a vent directly in the bath area, however there is a gap between the top of the door and the ceiling with a Fantastic Fan just on the other side. It acts as the bathroom fan, being more effective if the bath window is cracked open.

I believe it works as well as the Bambi with the bath vent.
Thanks for the info - just thought it was strange that a larger bathroom didn't justify putting a vent in it - oh well.....lol
Old 01-22-2016, 04:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since they forgot the Airstream name on the back of our 2015 23D International Serenity at the factory, perhaps there was an oversight on the bathroom fan on the 23FB.

We have an exhaust fan in the toilet/shower space in the 23D and in the bath hallway in the Classic. The Classic and our 25FB both had an additional exhaust fan in the shower stall.

Is there an exhaust fan in the shower stall?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogX5 View Post
If anyone else here has bought a 2016 23FB Flying Cloud (or any other new AS with the rear bathroom floor plan).....can you tell me if you have a bathroom vent or not? I've been trying to get an answer from my dealer for a couple of months - my 19' Bambi had one and it sure would be nice if mine was just missed during the construction. Really was nice in the Bambi to vent the steam ;-)
No bathroom vent... Mine has two Fantastic Fan's. One next to the bathroom door. It helps but a vent in the room would be nice.
bobgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Looking at the parts book images of the side skins and end caps, there may not have been enough space in the flat roof panel behind the Fantastic fan. They usually do not put large holes into the roof of end caps since they are radiused all the way to the connection edge with the side panels and roof panel(s).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
So how do you like your 23FB Flying Cloud thus far? (Besides the MIA fantastic fan). We are waiting on ours to be delivered in mid-march. Counting down the days esp. now we are snowed in.
great2beadaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
2015 FC23FB - picked up in May. Really like Glimmer. It's just the right size for our travel style. No issue with the fan, but wife is too short to reach the switch. Would have been nice to have it wall mounted. Also, it's a one way switch. Some models have a two way switch or you can retrofit them. One fan pulling in while the other pushes out helps. Otherwise you need a window or vent open to allow air flow.

Do not cook the batteries. The standard charger does not have a trickle charge capability. You can retrofit a multiphase or live with it by switching to store mode after about 2 hours on shore power. Keep an eye on the water level in the batteries,

The 23 has 14 in tires. Not a good selection of LT tires in 14 inch. The stock GYMs are STs. Do not exceed 65 mph, keep them properly inflated and replace them every 2 years in hot travel conditions or every 3 years in colder environments. There are other choices - study up on it, if you have not had the chance.

The thermostat takes a bit of practice to understand. Have the tech who walks you through look over your shoulder while you adjust it for each mode. Do not simply let him do it for you while you watch. It's time well spent.

The hot water heater bypass is behind the street side drawers. Have them show you that too. Also the access to the fresh water 12 volt pump. It's under the Curb side closet floor but not easy to see how you pull it up to access.

The tank levels are a bit odd. They show fill levels in steps. The grey water tank can fill quickly while washing dishes, so watch it. Also, the grey and black tank dump valve assembly is very low and not protected. If you go over a curb drop off or into a deep hole, you will crush them. The 15in tire upgrade helps this problem by increasing the standard clearance.

The 23 tows well, turns in a small space, backs well, and will fit in a site that bigger trailers have to pass up.

We have found the drawers on the floor a few times, so load them lightly and make sure the catches are set correctly. The fridge should be hard to pop open but be sure the lock snaps in place when you close it. The microwave can pop open, so pack the glass rotation plate in a safe place while traveling.

We felt the mattress was a bit soft and replaced it after the shakedown trip. Adds a bit of weight to the tongue. Note the tongue weight gets to 600 quick and is hard to keep below that. We run less water in the fresh tank to help manage the weight.

We have heard that folks are not happy with the dinette cushion firmness. We do not sleep on it so for us it has not been a problem, but is likely a future upgrade. The coverings are fantastic. The table shift mechanism is a bit flexible. Thought we might remove it and make the mounting solid, but used it shifted out this weekend and found the feature useful.

The storage cubby is a tight fit. We measured and purchased a specific boating style grill that would fit through the door. Requires removal of a couple of bolts on the grill to allow the lid to nest lower. Works, but would be nicer to have more external storage. Those with trucks don't have this problem. Given the need for a generator, we would likely purchase a propane powered unit and store it under the bed for travel.

The curved storage bins are somewhat difficult to fit your kit into them. We have found that a plastic box twice as high as the front lip can be used as a longitudnal divider with some in the box and some behind. The pantry is a bit flexible. Immediately tie wrap the shelves in place. Takes about ten minutes and keeps the shelve in place while traveling.

Really like the roll up/down blinds. No tinkle tinkle from aluminum blinds like the older models have. Probably would have these retrofitted if they were not standard. There is a bit of a gap at the bottom/sides and you might want to cover it with a towel in the bathroom.

The shower was a surprise. Expected to never use it. Tried it and found that I would rather use it than trudge up the camp showers. Does not take much grey water tank capacity either.

The aisle is tight when someone is cooking. Configuration promotes a bit of teamwork with one standing and one sitting. The fridge conflicts with the dinette cushion if you are siting there. Use a bit of care and it works.

Again, we like it. We like the smiles it puts on peoples faces. As older folks, it's nice to have a clean comfortable bathroom that only we use, so the larger rear configuration is our preference even without the fan.

Hope you like yours. Safe travels, Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We have a 23FB (and a 19 Bambi); comments include everything PKI said plus:

• Like the 39 gal fresh water tank
  • narrow width
  • Bed open on three sides easier to make than corner bed plus you don't hit the wall with your elbow
  • Great storage
  • Like the roomy bath
  • Upgrades include: Progressive Dynamic multi stage charger/converter, 15" tires and wheels (though I wish I could use 16"), Lifeline 6volt batteries, aluminum LP tanks, Oxygenics shower head, backup camera, backup lights , Lippert aluminum steps, Fiamma bike rack
  • Still need to install the axle lift kit
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2010 19' Flying Cloud
2003 28' Classic
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Love my 23FB FC (well, except for not having a bath exhaust fan lol). Bought it in November, camped once and then ran it back to the dealer for some warranty work and to add a vent cover over the kitchen fan (so I can keep it open during rain ;-). Dealer has had camper since the week of Thanksgiving...."waiting on parts" (called them 2 weeks ago about the propane fitting recall and they had to then order the parts for that). Hopefully will get it back home soon - anxious to finish getting it ready for camping season ;-)
Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
We took many showers and bathed our small terrier in our 2015 23FB while on a 95-day trip in 2015. The Fantastic Fan just outside the bathroom door worked well, but it did help to open rear window slightly for air flow. The space above the bathroom door effectively channels air flow to the fan.

We experienced all the problems mentioned above with doors opening, detached pantry shelves, sink covers, dinette cushions on floor, and drawers coming out. We used zip locks for pantry shelves and bungies or large vinyl coated "twisties" to hold all doors and drawers in place while moving. Lower dinette table to hold cushions, We store EVERYTHING that is not firmly fastened. Be very careful opening refrigerator and consider using the inexpensive brackets in rv stores to hold things in place. Once you work out a system that works for you it saves frustration, spills, and damage. Having your own agreed upon system saves money otherwise spent on marriage counseling, too!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
OK, Ill bite. What propane fitting recall? What fittings? What is the failure mode? Any info is appreciated. Pat

Off now to search the repair threads.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
There is a recall on four screws to hold the tank bracket to the tongue. The BS fact is supposedly only a dealer can do the repair at some indeterminable date.

Some grade 8 bolts from the local hardware store and get'er done.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #16
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
What is the longest period of time you all have stayed in your 23 ft? My husband and I (along with our 2 basset hounds) are thinking about a summer road trip which could span several months. We love to be outside but also enjoy relaxing inside at night and we know from experience that there will be times when we get back to back days of rain. Anyone out there travel in their 23 ft for months at the time? If so, any tips on organizing the space with 2 dogs?
great2beadaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
My wife and I drove 13,700 miles with 95 contiuous nights in our 23FB from Seattle to Newfoundland with (unexpected) light snow in the Rockies, spring thunderstorms, tornado warnings in Nebraska, and light hail (fortunately). We had multiple rainy days with temperatures in the 40's. Our 20 lb. Westie was with us the entire trip. Tips?
1. flannel sheets!!!
2. determine best place for dogs to sleep - under dinette didn't work as planned. I made bed for Sparky on top of the lowered table to keep her out of the walkway. Floor is cold. Have good bedding. We used closed cell foam.
3. Slippers (for humans) - floor gets cold
4. Train dogs to stay where you want them to be while working around stove.
5. Down comforter.
6. Keep sufficient ptopane in tanks
7. We made easily removable plexiglass covers for windows next to dinette to prevent Sparky from damaging screens. They wedge between levers that open the window.
8. Games, dvd's and wine. Or "Screech" when in Newfoundland.
9. Sympathy for every time your spouse bangs their head on the cabinet above the bed towards the front of the coach.
10. Practice using Fantastic Fans to get air flow to your liking. Keeps moisture down and modulates temp, but coordinating the two fans to get the direction and amount if flow you want may require trial and error.
11. Extra pillow against aluminum "head board" - it gets cold! (Or maybe a stocking cap).
We love traveling with our Westie in our Airstream.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We have spent 6.5 weeks, starting in Sept and into Oct. We traveled from CA to YS, MT, Maine and back to CA. It was about 12K miles. That is not months, and we have a couple of small poodles, not bassets. We allow the dogs on the bed and have a set of cushions on the floor at the foot of the bed which gives them a bit of a cave where they can retreat. They are crate trained and feel safe in an enclosed space. The structure of a long walk in the morning and late afternoon helped keep the dogs active and was good for me as well. Traveling either works for you or not, based on your personal comfort level with small spaces. It does not work for everyone. Our problem was not the rain keeping us in the trailer, it was hoards of people, lines, traffic, and places that were not dog friendly. Summer = hot. You may find the heat keeps you inside for AC more than the rain. Keep the trailer clean and organized. The bassets need a place for water and food. If they eat on a regular schedule that helps. There is not much floor space for the water bowl that does not see foot traffic. Plan on cleaning up spills. It's part of the price of admission. Good luck with your trip. Stay safe. Pat
Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Kentucky
I've got the same 23FB in the Flying Cloud series...and the gap between the top of the door and the fan works just fine for us.
istdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Another modification possibility for air flow comfort.

We replaced both FanTastic fans in our 23D with the Maxxfan 7000K series. They have their own water shield when open (no big extra cost shroud like with Fantastic) and come standard with a ten speed reversible fan motor (reversible fan switch is extra cost from Fantastic) and a remote control. One control can be used for both fans.

Thus we can shift the air flow direction inside of the trailer for front to back or back to front depending on whether we are sitting at the dinette or sleeping. That is often all we need at night to sleep in comfort instead of the air conditioner system.