Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2022, 03:25 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Airstream 2023 23FBT International Quick Look

Another short video of an Airstream 2023 23FBT International:

Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:35 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Lake Norman , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Enough View Post
Airstream is offering as an option, a 300 watt solar system. Has anyone bought and used this new system and if so, what are your impressions? What batteries did you buy (Airstream no longer provides batteries for the 23FB trailers)?

More information on the new offering:

https://www.airstream.com/blog/whats...del-year-2023/
We picked up our 2023 FC23FB last Tuesday. Just missed out on getting the twin beds - ours was in production when we found out the FC 23 was getting them.
We have the 300 watt solar package and awning package. Opted for the propane oven instead of microwave. Out original order was for AGM batteries so that’s what we got.
The refrigerator seemed to get cold pretty fast within an hour.
We only did an overnight at a campground after picking it up and the took it to the storage place.
No big test on the solar yet. We plan on getting portable solar panels to boost the rooftop ones.
We will be going for a longer trip soon.
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Airstream 2023 23FBT Battery Choice and Hunts

We have decided to go with lithium batteries when our 2023 23FBT shows up. Regardless of what type of battery you chose, installing a Victron smart shunt is great tool in managing your electrical use. The following video provides a great example of the type of information that can be gleaned from the shunt.

However installing a shunt in an airstream is not straight forward because the way in which Airstream wires these trailers. There are several threads on this subject.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Airstream Virtual Factor Tour

Great video showing the Airstream production facility in Jackson Center, OH.

https://www.airstream.com/blog/take-...ource=hs_email
Old 10-02-2022, 08:42 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Airstream Door Quirks

Although Airstream is very proud of their door, it is not without its faults. In addition to the anti lookout devices the handles may come off. There is an easy preventative fix that can be exercised. See the attached video:

How many other easy preventative fixes should be exercised on a new model Airstream?
Old 10-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Just placed our order. Flying cloud 23 front bed twin with awning package and convection microwave. Expected delivery in December. Agreed with the dealer on $88,000.

I feel like I might have been able to get it a bit lower shopping around. I had a goal of $86k but at the cost of having to travel further to pick it up and the stress of negotiating (something i don't enjoy, I know some people do) I am happy to settle at 88.

Plan to do a big solar upgrade when we get it so that we can be very comfortable while staying at locations without electric hookups and have the option to run the AC for a short period of we stop for a lunch on the road.
SunshineMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Airstream Legacy

Attached is an link to a great link describing a round the world Airstream adventure. It makes you want to get out on the road.

I bet these people didn’t spend a great amount of time agonizing over witch hitch to buy, what solar system is the best. No, I think their discussions were more about the journey. That’s what it is all about, is it not?

https://www.airstream.com/blog/thank...ource=hs_email
Old 10-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Oro Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrDCM View Post
Any thoughts as to how folks chose the 23 FBT FC vs International (no Globetrotter now so that doesn't factor in )
We saw a used Globetrotter and loved the inside. Twin beds this time. We have taken delivery and are, once again, talking batteries. Dealer was really cheap and didn’t install the AGM batteries as mentioned in the 2023 manual. We love the decor. I’m disappointed in the oven which is not as good a model as we had before. Not discovered until the walkthrough. Minimum temperature of 350 and no broiler. I wanted the regular oven as we often dry camp and a microwave is if no use. Also fridge is battery powered so will draw on the battery. We will take our first trip this weekend and hope the batteries last for 4 days with our solar option.
Britgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britgirl View Post
We saw a used Globetrotter and loved the inside. Twin beds this time. We have taken delivery and are, once again, talking batteries. Dealer was really cheap and didn’t install the AGM batteries as mentioned in the 2023 manual. We love the decor. I’m disappointed in the oven which is not as good a model as we had before. Not discovered until the walkthrough. Minimum temperature of 350 and no broiler. I wanted the regular oven as we often dry camp and a microwave is if no use. Also fridge is battery powered so will draw on the battery. We will take our first trip this weekend and hope the batteries last for 4 days with our solar option.
What batteries and solar package did you purchase?

Please let us know how your trailer made out.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:48 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMatt View Post
Thanks. Fingers crossed that I can get the dealer to about the same percent on a flying cloud

By the way, I spoke to the sales person at the dealer i plan to buy at today and their service department agreed that if I intend to upgrade to a 3000 watt inverter then I would be better not getting the solar option and doing the solar and everything through them afterwards. I really didn't plan on this but now I'm trying to convince my wife to do a big solar upgrade with a 3000 watt inverter install. Thanks
Upgrading your inverter after the fact should have no bearing on the solar installation and related charge controller that is factory installed. I think the dealer is trying to make some $$$ off you.
TNOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:28 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britgirl View Post
The 2023 models do not come with batteries from the factory. They ship them and the dealer installs.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:10 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

Canyon Lake , Texas
We just finished a 2600-mile trip in our new 23 FC FBT. We towed with an F150 Powerboost, and it towed perfectly using a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch. No issues in gusty winds or when being passed by large trucks.

Then disaster struck; pulling out of a parking lot in Moab, the dump valves dragged on the ground, and they were gone (well, actually still attached but severely damaged!). I have pictures of the accident area, luckily the tanks were near empty. The dump valves are the lowest item and are now mounted about 18" further back than the 2022 model year. I also think our dealer had the hitch set about 1" too high, which may have been a contributing factor. Unfortunately, not only were the valves damaged but the black tank was damaged at the outlet drain area. This all happened at a very low speed, and the grade change looked pretty minor. I will correct the hitch height, but I remain concerned about the proximity of the valves to the ground.

For two people, storage was adequate. We have a Fiamma bike rack installed, and that worked great. We have two Battle Born Lithium batteries and had no issues when not connected to electricity for a couple of nights and using the furnace for heat, light, and running the refrigerator. We had the luxury of connecting to the truck to run any heavy electrical draws when off-grid.
CordovaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:56 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordovaBob View Post
We just finished a 2600-mile trip in our new 23 FC FBT. We towed with an F150 Powerboost, and it towed perfectly using a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch. No issues in gusty winds or when being passed by large trucks.

Then disaster struck; pulling out of a parking lot in Moab, the dump valves dragged on the ground, and they were gone (well, actually still attached but severely damaged!). I have pictures of the accident area, luckily the tanks were near empty. The dump valves are the lowest item and are now mounted about 18" further back than the 2022 model year. I also think our dealer had the hitch set about 1" too high, which may have been a contributing factor. Unfortunately, not only were the valves damaged but the black tank was damaged at the outlet drain area. This all happened at a very low speed, and the grade change looked pretty minor. I will correct the hitch height, but I remain concerned about the proximity of the valves to the ground.

For two people, storage was adequate. We have a Fiamma bike rack installed, and that worked great. We have two Battle Born Lithium batteries and had no issues when not connected to electricity for a couple of nights and using the furnace for heat, light, and running the refrigerator. We had the luxury of connecting to the truck to run any heavy electrical draws when off-grid.
I am really sorry to hear about you accident. It must have been a shock.

I was wondering if you have considering a lift kit? One of our concerns is how low the trailer is to the ground. Another note: What is the rating of your Blue Ox bars? We have a similar truck and are waiting delivery of the International version of your trailer and would appreciate any additional advice you have to offer.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:33 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. Just reading it is giving me stress and making me worried about mine when I get it. I do plan to get a 3 inch lift kit. Hopefully that would help prevent this a little bit.

Which blue oxe weight distribution hitch did you choose, track pro or sway pro?

Also, you mentioned batteries. Do you have solar, if so how much? And what size battleborns?
Old 10-13-2022, 01:07 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Battery and Solar Considerations

The following thread provides some excellent information for Airstream 2023 23FBT owners who are reviewing their solar and battery options:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...re-237901.html
Old 10-13-2022, 03:31 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Quote:

Wow! Sorry to hear about this. We have only had the one overnight camping trip. There was some hilly parts to the campground but we were lucky not to experience anything like that.
Our trailer has the Blue Ox with the 750lb bars. We are using the 8th link on the chains.
We are going to take the trailer out to do some practice towing/ backing, etc next weekend. Hopefully we bring it back to the storage place unscathed.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:52 AM   #97
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Oro Valley , Arizona
Sorry to hear about your experience. We are out for the first time in our 23 International twin. 4 nights. 3 solar panels, dry camping. Long discussion about your incident. It has us concerned. , can you tell us more about the actual situation. We are trying to visualize. We have Blue Ox also. What is the lift option talked about?
Britgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:19 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Lift Kit

Dexter sells a 3” lift kit. There are a lot videos and threads talking about this option. At the end of the following video the pluses and minuses of a lift kit install is outlined.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:09 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
I spoke to Brad in the video you shared. He sent me this video which talks about the math to determine if you want a lift kit as well as the primary pros and cons. I don't have my trailer yet and altrady planned to do the lift kit but thus will help me reduce my fears by doing the math.

https://youtu.be/vxgh6eH667Y
Old 10-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Lift Kit Thread

The attached thread provides some great information on lift kits:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...102393-10.html

Tags
2023, 23fb, 23fb twin, twin