Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2022, 08:25 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
AS 2023 International 23FB Twin Pictures

An ad from Colonial containing a lot of great pictures of an 2023 International 23FB Twin. These pictures provide a detailed view showing the many features in these smaller twin bed units. Great information for those considering purchasing a trailer.

https://www.colonialairstream.com/pr...-twin-2/#13954
Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:28 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcdoojk View Post
I am about 9 months out from ordering my International 23 FBT. Glad you started the thread. I think for cold nights, we all need to find an insulator for the walls. That said, I think it is a better format compared to the queen. Like the North South sleeping. Like having a hallway to get up, get dressed go to the bathroom in. Versus, having to scoot along the front the side and into the main cabin.

Things I like about the International version. I like the flooring. I think it will be easy to clean. I have the more expensive flooring available on the Globetrotter on my boat and because it is not smooth it is a pain in the butt to clean. I like the size, I think it is the sweet spot with a low tongue weight and twin axles. I like the bigger refrigerator now that they are all electric. Although that is a compromise.

I am a bit iffy on the powered awning, and the power stabilizers. The tankless water heater (which I love in my home) is a questionable option in a travel trailer with a small grey water tank.

I can’t say I love the interior colors, but I don’t hate them either.

I hope to hear from you how and where you stuffed extra Lithium batteries. I will not be buying the factory options because of the 1000 watt inverter. I will be installing a 3000 watt inverter and enough battery and solar to make that work.

JC

My I ask why you will be installing a 3000 watt inverter instead of sticking with the 1000 watt? Could you add to the factory installed 300 watt solar later or for more solar would that have to be removed? Have you determined how much solar and what size batteries you are going to need?

I have seen a family on YouTube with the Bambi 20fb with a 3000 watt inverter, 3 solar panels for 290 watts total, and a viper Lithium battery of 360 AH. I wondered a bit why they went with that set up.

My wife and I are getting our finances in order to hopefully order a FC 23 FB twin in the next few weeks. Would love to know if I am making a mistake by thinking we want the factory 300 watt solar.
SunshineMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:58 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMatt View Post
My I ask why you will be installing a 3000 watt inverter instead of sticking with the 1000 watt? Could you add to the factory installed 300 watt solar later or for more solar would that have to be removed? Have you determined how much solar and what size batteries you are going to need?

I have seen a family on YouTube with the Bambi 20fb with a 3000 watt inverter, 3 solar panels for 290 watts total, and a viper Lithium battery of 360 AH. I wondered a bit why they went with that set up.

My wife and I are getting our finances in order to hopefully order a FC 23 FB twin in the next few weeks. Would love to know if I am making a mistake by thinking we want the factory 300 watt solar.
I think that the new solar packages available are a lot better than the old 90 watts on the roof with an 1 K inverter. That said, 1000 watts is not a lot. The microwave alone is a big energy hog, using almost all of that amount of power by itself. It will be easy to overwhelm the inverter. At 3000K you can start the AC any time you are on the inverter. Now, you will probably shortly need a generator, but it can be a smaller one depending on how much battery power you have invested in. This is a game changer allowing you to not constantly be afraid of a trailer blackout.

I was told that the Airstream solar and inverter are not great compared to aftermarket options. If you want the 3K converter you are basically going to have to throw away and redo the solar stuff anyway.

I am not an expert, but I do have a lake cabin, and an auxiliary AC unit and microwave are on the same circuit and I can’t run both at the same time without a trip down to the basement to flip the breaker.

JC
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:49 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Another thought. In order to run the AC you need enough power to start it, and at higher elevations, generators produce quite a bit less power. So you may need a generator over 3000 watts because it is not producing that much at altitude. Those generators usually weigh in at over 100 pounds. Which is too much for me to lift and enjoy it. The other option is 2 smaller generators in parallel.

So, the factory options are great if you don’t need AC and if you are going to have shore power available in the form of a campground or a large generator, but if you are going to spend a lot of time in warm weather off the grid, the 3K inverter and a large amount of batteries will make your life a lot easier.

Only you know how you want to camp. Lots of people get by without solar and Lithium, because they camp where shore power is always available.

JMHO and YMMV

JC
Old 09-20-2022, 06:37 AM   #65
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I have found it is more important where you plan on camping. Most boondockers I have spoken with do so in much cooler environments. Trying to do this where it is 100+ degrees in the daytime and 90 degrees at night isn’t much fun. LOL
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:
I think that the new solar packages available are a lot better than the old 90 watts on the roof with an 1 K inverter. That said, 1000 watts is not a lot. The microwave alone is a big energy hog, using almost all of that amount of power by itself. It will be easy to overwhelm the inverter. At 3000K you can start the AC any time you are on the inverter. Now, you will probably shortly need a generator, but it can be a smaller one depending on how much battery power you have invested in. This is a game changer allowing you to not constantly be afraid of a trailer blackout.

I was told that the Airstream solar and inverter are not great compared to aftermarket options. If you want the 3K converter you are basically going to have to throw away and redo the solar stuff anyway.

I am not an expert, but I do have a lake cabin, and an auxiliary AC unit and microwave are on the same circuit and I can’t run both at the same time without a trip down to the basement to flip the breaker.

JC
Thank you. I live in FL and while I don't plan to initially be off grid in heat, having the ability to run the AC a bit when needed off grid would be nice.

My only additional question as someone completely clueless on this stuff, why would I need to throw out the factory solar panel if I want a 3,000 watt inverter?
Old 09-20-2022, 02:59 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Cool

Quote:
Thank you. I live in FL and while I don't plan to initially be off grid in heat, having the ability to run the AC a bit when needed off grid would be nice.

My only additional question as someone completely clueless on this stuff, why would I need to throw out the factory solar panel if I want a 3,000 watt inverter?
Now you are probably getting beyond my real world knowledge level. My guess is if you go to 3K on he inverter, you will need larger wiring than 1K. So, everything won't have to go. The solar panels are still good, but I you are still buying things that are not going to stay after the upgrade. I have been told that you can install up to 600watts on the roof on a 23.

My simple advice is talk to a good solar installer and compare the price of the 3K version from them to the 1K version from Airstream. I am sure the 3K version will cost more, but I bet you will have a better system.

JMHO

jc
Old 09-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Now you are probably getting beyond my real world knowledge level. My guess is if you go to 3K on he inverter, you will need larger wiring than 1K. So, everything won't have to go. The solar panels are still good, but I you are still buying things that are not going to stay after the upgrade. I have been told that you can install up to 600watts on the roof on a 23.

My simple advice is talk to a good solar installer and compare the price of the 3K version from them to the 1K version from Airstream. I am sure the 3K version will cost more, but I bet you will have a better system.

JMHO

jc
Thanks. The 1k watt inverter is standard so I don't think I can really avoid that cost, so ill just get the solar upgrade for $2,600 and use it for now. This was more a down the road thought than an immediate plan. Of a year or more down the road I decide I want more power I will have to but the bullet and accept a little bit of lost costs.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:24 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
My wife and I are going nuts trying to figure this out. If we do not select the convection microwave option, does the new 23 FB still have a microwave? If so where is it located?

Prior models the microwave has been above the refrigerator if you have the gas oven, but in images and videos of the new models, they seem to have a larger fridge and freezer (2 doors stacked) and no microwave on top.

My wife would rather the gas oven than the convection, which I am OK with, but not at the cost of having no microwave or losing a large amount of storage.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-20-2022, 11:27 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Microwave

There is no microwave with the 2023 23FB. It is either a gas oven or a convection microwave. We chose the convection microwave option. Although we have not taken receipt of the trailer, our salesman indicated that their was no built in microwave option.

There is an ongoing thread in regards to this matter:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ws-226006.html
Old 09-21-2022, 05:06 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Cool

Matt

He is correct. Oven or Microwave / convection those are the only factory options. When they switched from the 3 way fridge, in 2021 models I think, the fridge became larger, which I love, and the microwave above it became non-existent. I think this changed the roof of the trailer significantly, too. Hence how people can put a lot more solar on the roof, since the gas fridge no longer requiring a vent. The fridge is now 2 way 12 volt DC or 120volt AC.

This change is upsetting to people who really like to boondock because the fridge is a constant draw against the batteries of a significant nature.

Just another thing that makes me want to maximize the amount of batteries and solar.

JC
Old 09-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Has anyone shared what price they agreed on with dealer for the FC 23 FB recently? I am trying to get an idea of what I should be looking to agree with the dealer before I start the discussion. My wife is hoping we can get 15% below msrp
Old 09-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Cool

Quote:
Has anyone shared what price they agreed on with dealer for the FC 23 FB recently? I am trying to get an idea of what I should be looking to agree with the dealer before I start the discussion. My wife is hoping we can get 15% below msrp
So, last year I got a quote off a 23FBQ International and a Globetrotter, and they were both in the range of 13-15% off. IF memory serves.

I just pulled up the quote from December 9, 2021.

the MSRP on the International 23FBQ was $108,425 they wanted a 9300$ cash down payment. That they were willing to finance 240months at 4.99%. Selling price was $92,500 less cash down $83,200 to be financed with a $499 fee. They claim it was 15% off, the overal price cannot be quaranteed (this is their protection from the expected and realized increases in price from Airstream), however the 15% discount off of MSRP will be Guaranteed.

I am not sharing dealer information to protect the guilty. I have zero desire to finance the trailer, so who knows what they would do for me. If I told them I was just going to pay for it when I take it.

I, can't say I am thrilled to deposit $10K on a trailer for 9 months either.

That said, we are probably within 6 months of pulling the trigger on this purchase.... not sure what to expect on future lead times and future pricing offers.

Oh, just found the Globetrotter quote MSRP was 113,425 it was offered same basic arrangement at a 16% off MSRP quote.

jc
Old 09-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:
So, last year I got a quote off a 23FBQ International and a Globetrotter, and they were both in the range of 13-15% off. IF memory serves.

I just pulled up the quote from December 9, 2021.

the MSRP on the International 23FBQ was $108,425 they wanted a 9300$ cash down payment. That they were willing to finance 240months at 4.99%. Selling price was $92,500 less cash down $83,200 to be financed with a $499 fee. They claim it was 15% off, the overal price cannot be quaranteed (this is their protection from the expected and realized increases in price from Airstream), however the 15% discount off of MSRP will be Guaranteed.

I am not sharing dealer information to protect the guilty. I have zero desire to finance the trailer, so who knows what they would do for me. If I told them I was just going to pay for it when I take it.

I, can't say I am thrilled to deposit $10K on a trailer for 9 months either.

That said, we are probably within 6 months of pulling the trigger on this purchase.... not sure what to expect on future lead times and future pricing offers.

Oh, just found the Globetrotter quote MSRP was 113,425 it was offered same basic arrangement at a 16% off MSRP quote.

jc

Thanks. Fingers crossed that I can get the dealer to about the same percent on a flying cloud

By the way, I spoke to the sales person at the dealer i plan to buy at today and their service department agreed that if I intend to upgrade to a 3000 watt inverter then I would be better not getting the solar option and doing the solar and everything through them afterwards. I really didn't plan on this but now I'm trying to convince my wife to do a big solar upgrade with a 3000 watt inverter install. Thanks
Old 09-21-2022, 07:58 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Cool

Quote:
Thanks. Fingers crossed that I can get the dealer to about the same percent on a flying cloud

By the way, I spoke to the sales person at the dealer i plan to buy at today and their service department agreed that if I intend to upgrade to a 3000 watt inverter then I would be better not getting the solar option and doing the solar and everything through them afterwards. I really didn't plan on this but now I'm trying to convince my wife to do a big solar upgrade with a 3000 watt inverter install. Thanks
I don’t “KNOW” anything, but I have been researching my retirement since 2020, and I think you are arriving at the right decision.

From another thread, I think the one about the battery box being a mess, I have discovered this week, that you have to have a battery of some sort installed in order for the emergency brake to work, so I don’t think you can completely avoid buying a battery from the dealer, but I think you can buy a small throw away, lawn mower battery or similar for that safety feature if you want to tow the Airstream away from the dealer.

Personally, I don’t think the dealer is where you want to go for the solar install, there are several respected installers out there. Some are members of this forum. I, personally, am going to use someone who does this routinely. Most dealers do not. Plus, is the guy who knows what to do, on vacation the week you are doing the install, and instead you get the kid they just hired?

I work in electrical distribution and I have looked at a lot of electricians work, and you can tell a giant difference in those that can figure out how to make everything work, and those who are true craftsmen.

JMHO and YMMV

JC

PS if I have helped in any way… you are welcome. We are all in this together. I am learning more every day.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Definitely helped. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Merlin 300 Watt Solar System Experience?

Airstream is offering as an option, a 300 watt solar system. Has anyone bought and used this new system and if so, what are your impressions? What batteries did you buy (Airstream no longer provides batteries for the 23FB trailers)?

More information on the new offering:

https://www.airstream.com/blog/whats...del-year-2023/
Old 09-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Texas
Picking up 23 fbt in three weeks. Airstream of New Mexico placing two Battle Born 100ah lithium with heaters. 300 watt solar package. Last trailer had same batteries and 180 watt solar but had three way fridge. It worked very well. Will see how it works, especially with the compressor fridge.
Escape21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Merlin Solar Package Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape21 View Post
Picking up 23 fbt in three weeks. Airstream of New Mexico placing two Battle Born 100ah lithium with heaters. 300 watt solar package. Last trailer had same batteries and 180 watt solar but had three way fridge. It worked very well. Will see how it works, especially with the compressor fridge.
Sound exciting! Keep us posted, please on how well your battery/solar system performs. Did you install a shunt to monitor battery state? It would also be helpful to get some real world information on how well the new fridges perform. There have been quite a number of posts about the fridges but little data.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Texas
Big Enough Waiting to make any additions/deletions once we get the trailer and start using it. Always room for improvement. Hoping the convection microwave oven is useful. First anticipated improvement is addition of cell booster and probably new 3000 watt inverter to facilitate the use of the convection oven when off grid. Plus the rat's nest electrical will likely drive me nuts until I sort it out. We will post our experience after a few months of using the trailer.
Escape21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023, 23fb, 23fb twin, twin