Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #421
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use the discover lithium blue 200AH in our As
they work well and cost less than the BB 100AH based on AH rating

we got them from CANAM RV in London, ON as Discover lithium is a CDN manufacturer
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:02 PM   #422
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Propane Gauges

Latest upgrade - Mopeka Universal Pro Check propane gauge. This device takes all the guessing out of how much propane is left. We could have relied on leaving one tank closed while draining the other, but who wants to wake up to a cold trailer and find the propane has stopped flowing.

These gauges are very easy to install and the App is self explanatory. Great “Gadget”!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	437986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4989.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	437987  

Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #423
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Excellent comparison and very surprising how poor and costly, overall, the wet cell or gell batteries are compared to Li. Battleborn or Dakota...thats the question? Both made in US...both go on sale...any thoughts or comparison of those 2 from anyone?

I have both, a 100ah Battleborn and a 54ah Dakota. Both work great. If I was going to choose one, I’d go with the Battleborn GC3.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 07:24 AM   #424
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Lithionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Excellent comparison and very surprising how poor and costly, overall, the wet cell or gell batteries are compared to Li. Battleborn or Dakota...thats the question? Both made in US...both go on sale...any thoughts or comparison of those 2 from anyone?
And here’s another great comparison, Lithionics vs “I think” Battleborn.

rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:26 PM   #425
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Subwoofer and Wiring Issues

A while back I wrote about my subwoofer not working. I took it into the dealer and they resolved the issues. The subwoofer has a number of switches and dials located under a tag that says do not remove. The switches came from the factory fixed in place using what looks like glue from a hot glue gun. The switches were not set right and the tack was able to quickly resolve the issue. The subwoofer is located next to the hot water heater under the passenger side bed. It is not easy to get to. It now works and sounds great.

In addition to the subwoofer, the dealer resolved a wiring issue. Our stove vent quit and when I removed the fuse to check it, the other devices on the same circuit kept running. It turned out that a single strand of wire from the adjacent circuit was connected to vent circuit, which meant that the breakers were bypassed. It took the RV tech a while to sort out because the wire was so small. All works well now. Obviously Airstream quality control needs some work.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:34 AM   #426
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2Dream View Post
Latest upgrade - Mopeka Universal Pro Check propane gauge. This device takes all the guessing out of how much propane is left. We could have relied on leaving one tank closed while draining the other, but who wants to wake up to a cold trailer and find the propane has stopped flowing.

These gauges are very easy to install and the App is self explanatory. Great “Gadget”!

I’ve had these in the past and when they work they are great. I don’t normally say anything bad about any company but in this case I have to. Recently I’ve had some issues with a few upgrades I’ve made. Starlink, IRVWPC, and EZ Connect. From each of these I’ve experienced outstanding customer service. I’ve even received direct calls from IRVWPC and EZ to work through the issues. They wanted nothing less that my complete satisfaction. I was offered solutions that I was extremely happy with. However with Mopeka the story was quite different. Kinda got the impression that everything was my problem. Initially I just purchased another unit but when it too failed they basically didn’t return my emails or calls.
Sorry to rant but my recent positive experiences were in such contrast I felt the desire to speak up.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:46 PM   #427
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Factory Defects

Warranted challenges - we recently had a number of build issues that we had addressed at out Airstream dealers. Our dealer has been great in helping resolve these challenges but it makes you wonder about airstream quality control. The issues included:

1) Walls impropely secured
2) 12 volt termination in the fuse panel short circuiting fuses
3) A nonfunctional subwoofer
4) Ill fitting cabinet trim
5) A crooked screen door
6) A non functioning awning light
7) Air conditioner compressor support screws fallling out
😎 Broken vent fans after 10 days of use - replace at our cost with MaxxAir fans.

As mentioned these have all been resolved, however recently we had a brake assembly that was intermittently acting up until finally it failed destroying a tire. The brake experts replaced the entire brake assembly, which we paid for and are now waiting reimbursement. I suspect, I will have to pay for the tire.

We also have a backup camera that functions erratically, and while I have determined that the antenna is not always making contact, getting this fixed is proving to be a challenge.

Last but certainly not least is our crooked, ill designed table. Our sealer has taken up the challenge in trying to find an acceptable solution. We will wait and see what happens.

Our first year of ownership has been a challenge. We really like the trailer and it fits our needs extremely well. However consider the price we paid, there have been too many issues that distract from the enjoyment of owning a new Airstream. I was expecting no issues, but The number of challenges and the amount before required to resolve these issues is daunting.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:24 AM   #428
Sombrero

2018 30' Classic
St-Jérôme , Quebec
I did convert my 2016 Flying Cloud to an FBT to the exact same spec! Getting inside the trailer makes it impossible to tell it hadn't been done by Airstream! Cost me +/- $1000.00 and a couple of days! It was just great because of the much needed added floor space! it was also a very cheap option considering the insane pricing of Airstream with this new floor plan. There are some parts you will re-use in the process. So you might consider an older 23 and let me know if you need to discuss on how to go about it! This is reserve to people that are comfortable with precision wood working because all the tolerance are within 1/8th, it also involves a couple of other things but all in all a large portion of handy people can do it! but for those who are in that position it is a fairly straight forward process!
Old 11-25-2023, 10:58 AM   #429
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Our first year of ownership has been a challenge. We really like the trailer and it fits our needs extremely well. However consider the price we paid, there have been too many issues that distract from the enjoyment of owning a new Airstream. I was expecting no issues, but The number of challenges and the amount before required to resolve these issues is daunting.
It's the same with our "million-dollar" 2023 GT after one season. The warranty list is 20+ items. The most serious are the broken furnace, inverter remote doesn't work, both Fantastic fans broke (hopefully we can get MaxxAir replacements too), many rivets fell off. Our dealer has been great sending parts when it makes sense. They are 600 miles away, however, so getting in to fix things isn't an option (we don't like the local dealer - it's tough to get in and their turnaround is months).

It's true with any brand but owning an RV requires a certain amount of handiness to keep it functional. I had to replace the fan covers (broke again though), rewire the inverter remote for now with a new cable (sits beside the bed now), messed around with the furnace and still not working, glued trim, replaced latches, locktited door handle set screws, etc.

We were at Alumalina this year organized by the inimitable John Leake. He says he tells Airstream something like: "We don't buy cheap trailers, but Airstream keeps trying to make them cheap". We pay a premium for quality but AS seems to try to cut corners. I don't know that it's always build quality but geeze too many things go wrong. That said, I wouldn't own any other camper - we still love it.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 05:54 AM   #430
Sombrero

2018 30' Classic
St-Jérôme , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
It's the same with our "million-dollar" 2023 GT after one season. The warranty list is 20+ items. The most serious are the broken furnace, inverter remote doesn't work, both Fantastic fans broke (hopefully we can get MaxxAir replacements too), many rivets fell off. Our dealer has been great sending parts when it makes sense. They are 600 miles away, however, so getting in to fix things isn't an option (we don't like the local dealer - it's tough to get in and their turnaround is months).

It's true with any brand but owning an RV requires a certain amount of handiness to keep it functional. I had to replace the fan covers (broke again though), rewire the inverter remote for now with a new cable (sits beside the bed now), messed around with the furnace and still not working, glued trim, replaced latches, locktited door handle set screws, etc.

We were at Alumalina this year organized by the inimitable John Leake. He says he tells Airstream something like: "We don't buy cheap trailers, but Airstream keeps trying to make them cheap". We pay a premium for quality but AS seems to try to cut corners. I don't know that it's always build quality but geeze too many things go wrong. That said, I wouldn't own any other camper - we still love it.
Like you, I wouldn't own any other trailer, but Airstream is lazy when it comes to Quality! I've owned a couple of them and they have serious quality issues. Who buys Airstream?? Mostly materialistic people who are borderline and strucked with a perversion on perfection!, we paid way too much for something that is so far from being perfect, I could give you some example but this reply with be 10 pages long, an Airstream is a nice looking coach but you don't want to look to closely at it because you will find it is as cheaply made as any other trailer. Tom Wheeler has taken the Mercedes direction, lets mass produce this iconic trailer so we sell more and more! lets paid attention to numbers, not quality!
Old 11-26-2023, 07:10 AM   #431
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
I can tell you from owning an Oliver and Airstream, quality and workmanship of the Oliver is much better than Airstream!
Old 11-26-2023, 09:37 AM   #432
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.dev View Post
I can tell you from owning an Oliver and Airstream, quality and workmanship of the Oliver is much better than Airstream!
We had considered an Oliver as well. The build quality is nice, but Legacy Elite II we toured just felt cramped and the windows too small. A wet bath was also a hard no thank you for us. That was one of the reasons we upgraded from our NuCamp Tab 400 to the 23' Flying Cloud. My wife also said the entire inside of the Oliver reminded her of being inside a Lowes pre-fab shower assembly...whatever that means....

Maybe be have been lucky, but our build quality on the 2023 has been almost perfect. The only problem we had was both vent covers broke at the arms - partially. Once we saw they were broken, we stopped using them until we could get to Jackson Center to replace, which they did in about 2 hours. I would consider this a supplier issue more than a build issue, though. Their supplier provided the product with brittle plastic. That doesn't take all of the "blame" off Airstream, but they can only get what they can get, and they corrected the issue in a timely, friendly, professional manner.
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:24 AM   #433
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
We had considered an Oliver as well. The build quality is nice, but Legacy Elite II we toured just felt cramped and the windows too small. A wet bath was also a hard no thank you for us. That was one of the reasons we upgraded from our NuCamp Tab 400 to the 23' Flying Cloud. My wife also said the entire inside of the Oliver reminded her of being inside a Lowes pre-fab shower assembly...whatever that means....

Maybe be have been lucky, but our build quality on the 2023 has been almost perfect. .
Yup agree 100% with all the above, except we love the sterile/clean look of the Oliver...I guess some people like white chocolate and others dark chocolate! We were also very lucky with our 26U twin bed, not too many issues, and I love the layout, but, when you start looking behind cabinets, the rats nest of wires etc, that's when you see the difference between AS and Oliver quality/workmanship.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:07 AM   #434
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.dev View Post
Yup agree 100% with all the above, except we love the sterile/clean look of the Oliver...I guess some people like white chocolate and others dark chocolate! We were also very lucky with our 26U twin bed, not too many issues, and I love the layout, but, when you start looking behind cabinets, the rats nest of wires etc, that's when you see the difference between AS and Oliver quality/workmanship.
And that's why I never look behind cabinets in my AS's! If it's all working, no need to look for flaws!

By the way, my brother in law who looked at getting a 23' AS for years, ended up getting a new Oliver. Had it one year, said there were similar fit/finish issues also in his Oliver, but he sold it because it was just to narrow for him and the wife, compared to an AS....so he is looking again.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #435
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
I don't have my Airstream right in front of me (unfortunately!). How thick are the twin mattresses on the 2023 FC 23? I want to order sheets from airstream supply co.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2023, 01:04 PM   #436
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcdoojk View Post
<snip> I think for cold nights, we all need to find an insulator for the walls. <snip>
We have two trailers - both with twin beds - '56 at the rear & 2015 in the front. I find that the 'normal' twin-sized bedding is big enough to tuck in under the mattress along the wall so that when you are sleeping, the bedding is between you and the wall. No need for extra insulation or foam pads. Unless you sleep on top of the bedding and if that's the case, it's probably warmer in summer so the cooler walls are welcome. We've never had a problem...had twins in our trailers for 15+ years.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #437
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I don't have my Airstream right in front of me (unfortunately!). How thick are the twin mattresses on the 2023 FC 23? I want to order sheets from airstream supply co.

Thanks!
When ordering sheets from the Airstream website (or AB Lifestyles), they usually have a multiple choice pull down menu with the sizes of the mattresses by year & model so you get the correct ones.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:34 PM   #438
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:

These are on sale for Cyber Monday today, $49.86. I bought a couple in the hope we get our furnace working some day.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:32 AM   #439
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
When ordering sheets from the Airstream website (or AB Lifestyles), they usually have a multiple choice pull down menu with the sizes of the mattresses by year & model so you get the correct ones.

Shari
Thanks! On the Airstreamsupplycompany.com website, it did let us select our camper and year, but then we had to select the thickness. I guessed that maybe the mattress with topper was 9 inches. We bundled up and went out to the camper, and with the TempurPedic mattress topper, it's an 11 in thick mattress! So, we ordered them in 12 inch thick, and we'll use the sheet suspenders as well. The price for the fitted sheets is a bit high, but I figured what the heck...It's Christmas!
Old 11-28-2023, 08:00 AM   #440
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:

Thanks!
You don't need special sheets for the twin mattresses. Target carry's extra long sheets around July for kids who have twin mattresses in college. On line order also. 3rd AS with twin mattresses. We went from 8" thick to 10" recently; same sheets!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023, 23fb, 23fb twin, twin