Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 04:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
2022 Flying Cloud 25FBT

We just got our new 2022 Flying Cloud FBT Friday so I wanted to do a quick post on changes to the '22's. As reported it has the SmartPlug for shore power but sadly they eliminated the second outlet in the front of the trailer on the 30A units. They also eliminated the round porch light on the curb side. The all electric refrigerator is a Norcold brand and the vent fenestrations are gone on the street side and roof. The factory solar panels appear to be the legacy Zamp panels, I thought I read in another forum they had switched to the Obsidian? Overall fit and finish seem fine so far, after a couple hundred miles towing no falling doors or cabinets just a defective Demco coupler that I will address with the dealer today. We have a 3 week western trip coming in September and can't wait to hit the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022 Flying Cloud 25FBT (1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	400908   Click image for larger version

Name:	25FBT Curbside (1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	400909  

Yardbird54E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Nice looking unit. I have a ‘21 50 Amp Globetrotter and it does not have a 115 outlet in the front. Only the on in the middle on the door side. The fridge is a Nova Kool unit with the freezer on the bottom. Good luck with yours. Hope you can get it into the dealer before your trip.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Lakewood , Washington
Thanks for the update. It's sad one has to wait until your model is delivered to find out what is included. My build date is next week, assuming it's a completion date and not start date. I'm also guessing 10 days more before it can arrive on the West Coast. On a different note, just found out my insurance has to be activated on the day I pick it up. I thought it would be covered in the same sense as a new car, but in the RV world a different requirement.
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Looks great! Honestly, I find that round porch light to be semi-useless.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Update on my hitch issue: It wasn't the coupler but the ball that was the problem. I had the dealer use the ball I got from Blue Ox that has an extended smooth collar and for whatever reason that ball would not allow the coupler to release. The guys at the dealer figured it out and got me a new ball with a different neck style and now it works fine. Have not seen any other issues yet after a couple days driveway camping, I'm running the new fridge on just my two factory solar panels and two 100AH lithium batteries to see how well they keep the fridge going and maintain charge. I'll post again how that goes. Thanks Dew and jondrew55, they are pretty when new.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Very nice rig. Have a great time in it and welcome to the forum.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Looks great! I'm glad you've found the quality to be good. All the Best!
Old 08-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #8

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Germantown , Wisconsin
We have the same unit on order for spring ‘22 delivery. Do you know if the converter is new and lithium ready?
CandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
I got the dealer lithium upgrade and I didn't ask specifically if Airstream or the dealer did the converter change, from what the Airstream website says all 2022's come with a lithium ready converter from the factory. I assume ours came with a lithium ready converter since it's a 2022 and we have all the other changes such as the compressor fridge and SmartPlug.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
MMCMRET and tbrowne: Thanks for the warm welcome, I've learned a ton on this forum and hope for many years of exploring this great country of ours in our new rig.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Eagle , Colorado
Yardbird or others familiar with this trailer—We now have this same unit on order. I have heard/read horror stories on how heavy the tongue weight is. I understand “empty” it is 875#. With a WDH, I understand ~10% of that is pushed back onto the trailer rather than the receiver. If I load my generator inside the door in the back of the trailer, what is going to cause such a heavy tongue weight?

We travel reasonably light and so I’m wondering what it is that most people carry that is causing the tongue on this model to be so heavy?

We’re new to towing and “campering” as we’ve always just tent camped. I’d really appreciate any feedback. The tongue limit of our receiver allegedly is in the 930-950 range, though I don’t know how much leeway there is as a practical matter. That said, what can I do to keep under that number as I’m loading the trailer?

(We aren’t supposed to get our trailer until Oct/Nov/Dec timeframe, depending on the length of the production delays.)
jmslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
First question is what are you towing with? Yes, the front bedroom 25í trailers are speced around 900 pounds. Iíve not weighed mine, but it is not unusual for the actual tongue weight to be over 1000 pounds. You can offset this to some extent by loading the rear of the trailer, but if you over do it you can make the trailer unstable and prone to swaying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmslade View Post
Yardbird or others familiar with this traileróWe now have this same unit on order. I have heard/read horror stories on how heavy the tongue weight is. I understand ďemptyĒ it is 875#. With a WDH, I understand ~10% of that is pushed back onto the trailer rather than the receiver. If I load my generator inside the door in the back of the trailer, what is going to cause such a heavy tongue weight?

We travel reasonably light and so Iím wondering what it is that most people carry that is causing the tongue on this model to be so heavy?

Weíre new to towing and ďcamperingĒ as weíve always just tent camped. Iíd really appreciate any feedback. The tongue limit of our receiver allegedly is in the 930-950 range, though I donít know how much leeway there is as a practical matter. That said, what can I do to keep under that number as Iím loading the trailer?

(We arenít supposed to get our trailer until Oct/Nov/Dec timeframe, depending on the length of the production delays.)
Old 08-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Ana , California
Congratulations on your new rig! You sound like this is not your first. I ordered the exact same model/configuration and am expecting it in November. Itís my first so I have zero experience with airstreams (and very little with RVs in general). Would love to hear how you do with the single AC unit and 30 Amp service on your trip out west. Iím in the west and thatís what I ordered and am keeping my fingers crossed that I wonít regret not going with the two ACs/50 Amps.
Peter
Indiclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiclouds View Post
Congratulations on your new rig! You sound like this is not your first. I ordered the exact same model/configuration and am expecting it in November. Itís my first so I have zero experience with airstreams (and very little with RVs in general). Would love to hear how you do with the single AC unit and 30 Amp service on your trip out west. Iím in the west and thatís what I ordered and am keeping my fingers crossed that I wonít regret not going with the two ACs/50 Amps.
Peter
95 degrees in Orlando today and my 25í Globetrotter is keeping about 78 in direct sunlight with dual ACs. Not sure how a single AC will fare in 100+ direct sunlight. In shaded sites itís fine on a single AC when we are on 30 Amp service.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Eagle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
First question is what are you towing with? Yes, the front bedroom 25í trailers are speced around 900 pounds. Iíve not weighed mine, but it is not unusual for the actual tongue weight to be over 1000 pounds. You can offset this to some extent by loading the rear of the trailer, but if you over do it you can make the trailer unstable and prone to swaying.
I’m towing with a Lincoln Navigator 4x4. Tow capacity is 9,300 per the receiver and tongue limit of 930-950. How much would a propride or Equal-I-zer help with that potential sway?
jmslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Yardbird or others familiar with this traileróWe now have this same unit on order. I have heard/read horror stories on how heavy the tongue weight is. I understand ďemptyĒ it is 875#. With a WDH, I understand ~10% of that is pushed back onto the trailer rather than the receiver. If I load my generator inside the door in the back of the trailer, what is going to cause such a heavy tongue weight?

We travel reasonably light and so Iím wondering what it is that most people carry that is causing the tongue on this model to be so heavy?

Weíre new to towing and ďcamperingĒ as weíve always just tent camped. Iíd really appreciate any feedback. The tongue limit of our receiver allegedly is in the 930-950 range, though I donít know how much leeway there is as a practical matter. That said, what can I do to keep under that number as Iím loading the trailer?

(We arenít supposed to get our trailer until Oct/Nov/Dec timeframe, depending on the length of the production delays.)
I have not weighed the tongue but after reading many threads on the subject I estimate my tongue weight to be 1000- 1100 lbs. and based on that alone I would reconsider the use of the Navigator as tow vehicle with only 950 lbs receiver weight. To me (and full disclosure I'm a newbie here too) that is an absolute limit to never exceed like axle ratings. Payload is also one of the main considerations and the 1000 lbs tongue weight goes against that total. What is the payload rating of the Navigator? Then you have to subtract passenger weight and gear carried in the SUV and the payload gets eaten up pretty quickly. If changing tow vehicles is not an option you could look into upgrading your receiver and suspension like I've seen Andy Thompson at CanAm do with all sorts of vehicles including Tesla's. Other random thoughts are what kind of towing are you anticipating? Long western trips to and through mountains or a couple of relatively flat short trips every summer? We finally decided based on our desire to take long mountainous trips west that a Ram 2500 Cummins was the ticket. We'll be right at our payload limit of 2000 lbs when fully loaded(the diesel takes about 1000 lbs of payload)but the torque, exhaust brake, and MPG were worth it. If you check out the tow vehicle/hitches section of this forum there are lots of opinions on this hotly debated topic. A weight distribution hitch will move some weight off the rear axle but I don't know if it would help your situation. I agree with jondrew55 that putting excess weight in the rear of the trailer is a bad idea and contributes to sway. I hope my 2 cents helped.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Peter
Thank You! We are just like you with zero Airstream experience(except a 2 week trip this past June in a loaner). I will post here after our trip and let you know how it goes, we're in northern Michigan and hope to chase temperate weather in our adventures so we went with the 30 amp/1 AC. From my reading here on this subject you only need a 2 AC unit in a 25' if you're camping in the south during summer. I hope you have no delays in getting yours!
Old 08-21-2021, 11:43 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird54E View Post
Thank You! We are just like you with zero Airstream experience(except a 2 week trip this past June in a loaner). I will post here after our trip and let you know how it goes, we're in northern Michigan and hope to chase temperate weather in our adventures so we went with the 30 amp/1 AC. From my reading here on this subject you only need a 2 AC unit in a 25' if you're camping in the south during summer. I hope you have no delays in getting yours!

Did you opt for the convection oven? We did and am wondering if running the AC and the oven might trip the 30 Amp service due to overload.
Indiclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:30 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Did you opt for the convection oven? We did and am wondering if running the AC and the oven might trip the 30 Amp service due to overload.
We went with the conventional oven anticipating boondocking/dry camping. We hardly use a microwave at home anyway.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
A WDH does not decrease the weight on the receiver. However, it does reallocate that weight.