Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Update after first trip

We returned a couple weeks ago from our first trip: 5800 miles towing from Michigan to the Badlands NP south to Petrified Forest NP stopping at Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Rocky Mtn NP, Black Canyon NP, Mesa Verde NP, Grand Canyon NP. Build/quality issues were: on the first day the dining table leg fell apart causing the table to fall and pulling two screws from the right side slot bracket on the wall and a faulty latch on the bottom drawer in the galley. I was able to jury rig the table for the rest of the trip but I have a service request in to Airstream for repair of the table and drawer latch. My two self-installed 90W Zamp obsidian panels held fast with just the VHB and Sikaflex as described on the forums. We only had four nights of dry camping so no real test of our two BB lithiums and 360W of rooftop panels. The all electric fridge worked just fine with no thawing or temp variations as we left it on for the whole trip. Our Ram 2500 Cummins was the perfect TV for this trip, along with the Blue Ox hitch we had zero sway in all crosswind and passing conditions. Exhaust brake was great for downgrades, barely touched the mechanical brakes on long 7% grades in the Rockies. The only white knuckle moments came from the horrendous road conditions that seemed designed to destroy our new trailer! Thankfully we have not experienced what others have in poor build quality and major defects. Overall a great trip with no disasters thanks in part to all I have learned on these forums.
Yardbird54E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Yardbird54E, congratulations! If you don’t mind a few questions. How much did the dealer charge for the two BB batteries with install? Did you keep the removed batteries or was it part of the upgrade for the dealer to keep. How many panels were on the roof from the factory? You added two more? Did your self installed two new panels plug in direct to the factory installed system? Love to see a picture of your full roof install. Which panels and how much were the two new panels? Trying to get all my ducks in a row for our 25 RBT January delivery. Thank You in advance.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:54 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
Yardbird54E, congratulations! If you don’t mind a few questions. How much did the dealer charge for the two BB batteries with install? Did you keep the removed batteries or was it part of the upgrade for the dealer to keep. How many panels were on the roof from the factory? You added two more? Did your self installed two new panels plug in direct to the factory installed system? Love to see a picture of your full roof install. Which panels and how much were the two new panels? Trying to get all my ducks in a row for our 25 RBT January delivery. Thank You in advance.
Thanks! I think it was $3500 for the lithium, I did mean to inquire about the removed AGM's when we picked up the trailer but in our excitement I forgot to ask. The factory solar comes with two 90W Zamp legacy panels and I added two 90W Zamp obsidian panels wired in parallel with a Y connector and plugged into the open port on the roof cap. The two 90W obsidians were about $900 that included the roof mounting hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	406914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	406915  

Old 10-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Yardbird54E, Thank you. Nice job. We are in Dallas this week so we visited Airstream DFW where the 25 RBT was ordered. Still a January 4 build completion. $3,566 for the BB upgrade. $1,100 for one more Zamp panel installed. $1,300 for the Dexter 3” lift. $338 to install a Microair Easystart per unit. Warned the Easystart voids the AC warranty. I really don’t want to get on the roof but the install charges seem high. Got a couple months to decide.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
Yardbird54E, Thank you. Nice job. We are in Dallas this week so we visited Airstream DFW where the 25 RBT was ordered. Still a January 4 build completion. $3,566 for the BB upgrade. $1,100 for one more Zamp panel installed. $1,300 for the Dexter 3” lift. $338 to install a Microair Easystart per unit. Warned the Easystart voids the AC warranty. I really don’t want to get on the roof but the install charges seem high. Got a couple months to decide.

2012FB: Those quotes do seem a tad high, we also had the Dexter 3 inch lift installed for $700 at our dealer(parts and labor). Is the one additional panel a 90W? If you can do the install you can get two 90W for less than that. I did ours in about 4 hours using the VHB tape that is included with the mounting hardware and Sikaflex to seal the feet with no holes added to the roof. We also considered the Easystart and a 2200W Honda generator but wound up going with the Champion 3400W dual fuel generator that runs our single AC without an Easystart. I did have to get a 10’ stepladder for the panel install but realized I will need one going forward anyway for washing and inspecting the roof. Lots to consider, I hope I’ve been some help.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #26

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Palm Coast , Florida
New FC

We will be picking up our 2022 23’ Flying Cloud FBQ on October 11. We are ready and excited!
AFMartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:38 AM   #27

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiclouds View Post
Did you opt for the convection oven? We did and am wondering if running the AC and the oven might trip the 30 Amp service due to overload.

Hi Indiclouds,
I know I’m a bit late here replying but figured what the heck. We have a 2018 Flying Cloud that has a 50 amp service but we only ever plug into 30 amp pedestals at the parks we have gone to, as that’s all that is ever available. Anyhoo, we have a convection oven that I use all the time and have never had a problem tripping a breaker while running either the A/C, the heat pump or even our dehumidifier at the same time while camping.
flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #28

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird54E View Post
We returned a couple weeks ago from our first trip: 5800 miles towing from Michigan to the Badlands NP south to Petrified Forest NP stopping at Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Rocky Mtn NP, Black Canyon NP, Mesa Verde NP, Grand Canyon NP. Build/quality issues were: on the first day the dining table leg fell apart causing the table to fall and pulling two screws from the right side slot bracket on the wall and a faulty latch on the bottom drawer in the galley. I was able to jury rig the table for the rest of the trip but I have a service request in to Airstream for repair of the table and drawer latch. My two self-installed 90W Zamp obsidian panels held fast with just the VHB and Sikaflex as described on the forums. We only had four nights of dry camping so no real test of our two BB lithiums and 360W of rooftop panels. The all electric fridge worked just fine with no thawing or temp variations as we left it on for the whole trip. Our Ram 2500 Cummins was the perfect TV for this trip, along with the Blue Ox hitch we had zero sway in all crosswind and passing conditions. Exhaust brake was great for downgrades, barely touched the mechanical brakes on long 7% grades in the Rockies. The only white knuckle moments came from the horrendous road conditions that seemed designed to destroy our new trailer! Thankfully we have not experienced what others have in poor build quality and major defects. Overall a great trip with no disasters thanks in part to all I have learned on these forums.
Getting our Flying Cloud 25 FBT in March 2022. I did not buy the factory solar but plan to add my own install. (4) - BB 100 AHR's. I see the pictures showing (4) - 90W panels. Wondering if you didn't get the (2) 90's from the factory could you have fit wider panels (~26" wide) and thus gained more wattage? Since there is no dealer stock I cannot find info on roof space. Also - planning on installing batteries in the front storage and components under one of the twin beds.
jptweb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #29

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
CandK: Curious about when you ordered relative to a Spring 2022 delivery. We ordered ours end of Oct. and we were told early March 2022. I am hopeful that they are right but doubtful based upon you're post.
jptweb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:57 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptweb64 View Post
Getting our Flying Cloud 25 FBT in March 2022. I did not buy the factory solar but plan to add my own install. (4) - BB 100 AHR's. I see the pictures showing (4) - 90W panels. Wondering if you didn't get the (2) 90's from the factory could you have fit wider panels (~26" wide) and thus gained more wattage? Since there is no dealer stock I cannot find info on roof space. Also - planning on installing batteries in the front storage and components under one of the twin beds.
I think you should have space for a 26" wide panel, the only consideration would be the slope of the roof giving an outboard tilt to the panels even with the modified mounting hardware for Airstreams(speaking of the Zamp install hardware). I have thought if I ever add batteries the front storage compartment is perfect for that. Plenty of space under the beds for components also. Hope you get your trailer with no delays.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Enjoy your new Airstream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird54E View Post
We just got our new 2022 Flying Cloud FBT Friday so I wanted to do a quick post on changes to the '22's. As reported it has the SmartPlug for shore power but sadly they eliminated the second outlet in the front of the trailer on the 30A units. They also eliminated the round porch light on the curb side. The all electric refrigerator is a Norcold brand and the vent fenestrations are gone on the street side and roof. The factory solar panels appear to be the legacy Zamp panels, I thought I read in another forum they had switched to the Obsidian? Overall fit and finish seem fine so far, after a couple hundred miles towing no falling doors or cabinets just a defective Demco coupler that I will address with the dealer today. We have a 3 week western trip coming in September and can't wait to hit the road.
Good morning,
We were in your town this past July while we stayed near Alanson. Beautiful area. Enjoy your new unit!
Ron and Brenda
Ron Glow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Glow View Post
Good morning,

We were in your town this past July while we stayed near Alanson. Beautiful area. Enjoy your new unit!

Ron and Brenda

Thank you!
Old 12-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Good to hear.