Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
madison , Alabama
2022 Flying Cloud 23CB Pictures + Info

Finally there are pictures of a 2022 23cb:

https://www.outofdoorsmart.com/inven...-flying-cloud/

Looks like the Refrigerator is a Nova Cool with the bottom freezer. I believe this model:
https://www.campervan-hq.com/product...28836374577204
Where the microwave used to be is now storage.

Mine is et to be completed on Thursday the 26th, about two weeks later to pick up so 2 to three weeks from now.

I asked my sales person and she checked, the 2022 does come with a lithium compatible charge converter. So it looks like install lithium battery and plug in 3 solar panels for my lithium solar upgrades, should be easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	open fridge.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	402623   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed front.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	402624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tv fridge.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	402625  
Tadfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Very nice. I’ve been thinking about swapping out my absorption refrigerator in our 2017 23D with a 12VDC compressor refrigerator. Looks like this model will fit. I figured I would need to remove the microwave which my wife has been wanting me to do regardless. The microwave is used to store bread, rarely used to warm up food.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Looking at the pictures of the 2022, it looks like no refrigerator heat exhaust vents on the street side of the trailer. I’m wondering if a refrigerator heat exhaust roof vent has been added, interesting.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for sharing this link! The wife and I have been curious what the 23’, especially the fridge will look look like. It’s a lot roomier than the previous generations and it will be nice to have the larger, dedicated freezer. The cabinetry is a bit more bleached than I expected; I wonder if the color is accurate or due to the camera white balance. For some reason that bed looks even tighter than AS’s marketing page or videos we watched so I’m glad that dinette bench pulls out to make an extra sleeping space. 🤣
Congrats on the arrival of your purchase. Ours got delayed another two weeks to 15 October. Bummed about the longer wait but I’d rather have them get as much right in production rather than in warranty.
Cheers,
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
madison , Alabama
Josephine517 The refrigerator is 100% electric, so vents for the heat generated by the absorption (propane) system are no longer needed.

The pictures are bleached out and do not reflect the true colors inside. I am 5'10" and the wife 5'4" and we both fit on the bed nicely. Tried it out before we downsized from a 27FB which had a walkaround bed.
With the 23' we will find a lot more availble campsites, and easier to tow.
Tadfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadfar View Post
Josephine517 The refrigerator is 100% electric, so vents for the heat generated by the absorption (propane) system are no longer needed.

The pictures are bleached out and do not reflect the true colors inside. I am 5'10" and the wife 5'4" and we both fit on the bed nicely. Tried it out before we downsized from a 27FB which had a walkaround bed.

Hi Tadfar,
Thank you for mitigating my concerns! My wife and I are similarly sized so I’m glad the bed will work! [emoji846] We picked the trailer for convenience of towing and for not being limited by campsite sizes.
Also, very glad the pics don’t represent the cabinetry color!
Cheers,
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

King's Bay , Georgia
Was checking the Airstream site, and the 23CB is now missing from the list of floor plans…I thought that was odd? Is it going away?
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Seabeck , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Was checking the Airstream site, and the 23CB is now missing from the list of floor plans…I thought that was odd? Is it going away?

I have one on order (placed in August). They disappeared from the website in October and my dealer said they were told to stop taking orders and they are discontinued. Still honoring already placed orders. I saw someone on Facebook got the same confirmation, I saw someone take delivery after the discontinuation date too.
Fox-trot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
We got our 2022 23CBB yesterday. I had some questions while waiting that Airstream could not answer. Here are some answers to questions I have seen here on the forums.

First, the refrigerator is indeed 12v only, powered from the electrical box. I takes longer to cool than I expected but seems to work fine.

The space on the 23cbb above the refrigerator has a door with a tiny space for stuff like cans of food. I removed 4 screws and it turns out that that entire space is empty. Our Airstream has the gas oven so no microwave. It will be easy to add a small microwave there - there is even easy access to 110v AC in the corner of that space.

As far as all the comments about no vent, cooling etc - there is in fact a big roof vent that lines up with the back of the refrigerator. Adding a microwave in that space will not cover the airflow from the back of the refrigerator to the vent at all. Not sure why Airstream did not make that space into usable cabinet.

Best news of all. The new Airstreams are coming with the WFCO 8955 "AD" panels. The "AD" stands for auto detect which means you can install any battery type - Lead Acid, AGM or Lithium and it detects and adapts to the battery type. 3 stage or 2 stage, the correct voltage, etc.

This is our 5th Airstream and the first with the tankless water heater. Lots have been said about it, and no surprise, lots of incorrect information. The way it works which I have not seen discussed on here on the forums, is that you set the hot for the final tempererature you want, and then turn on FULL hot, not mixed with cold. People are saying the tankless needs pressure to turn on. This is true and if you mix cold, the pressure at the tankless drops and the flame shuts off. Set temp, use full hot. Works very well, it even tells you the temp on a little panel as it heats up. It takes very little time to heat up. Seems very similar to the traditional hot water tank.

No news here but this is the first ductless AC we've had. Way quieter, nicer controls, includes a heat pump heater. Nice.

And for anyone who does not know this, a Micro-Air EasyStart should be installed in every Airstream. Much easier starting of the AC on shore power but way better, we run our AC on a tiny Honda suitcase type generator running on propane. No gas cans and smell, less CO according to Airstream, and the AC runs like a charm on on 2200 watts.

Thanks for listening.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjones View Post
We got our 2022 23CBB yesterday.

The space on the 23cbb above the refrigerator has a door with a tiny space for stuff like cans of food. I removed 4 screws and it turns out that that entire space is empty. Our Airstream has the gas oven so no microwave. It will be easy to add a small microwave there - there is even easy access to 110v AC in the corner of that space.

Congrats! We just got back from our first trip with our 2022 FC 23CBB

That is awesome news about that space, and super odd that they closed it off. Has anyone offered you any explanation as to why?
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
23cbb refrigerator vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadfar View Post

So now that we got our 2022 23CBB, there is a refrigerator vent on the roof of the Airstream. The area above the refrigerator, inside the trailer, has door access but is very shallow. Removing the back panel in that space reveals the whole top area of the refrigerator available to add a microwave. And it still allows the back of the fridge to vent up to the roof vent. Bonus - there is 115v power right there for the TV.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjones View Post
So now that we got our 2022 23CBB, there is a refrigerator vent on the roof of the Airstream. The area above the refrigerator, inside the trailer, has door access but is very shallow. Removing the back panel in that space reveals the whole top area of the refrigerator available to add a microwave. And it still allows the back of the fridge to vent up to the roof vent. Bonus - there is 115v power right there for the TV.

Hearing some other stories about fridges struggling in high temperatures to cool themselves and folks adding new/additional fans to vent it. I’m a tad hesitant to do anything with that space that would obstruct the airflow or worse add heat there. But it is awfully tempting to think of ways to use that space.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Fridge Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Hearing some other stories about fridges struggling in high temperatures to cool themselves and folks adding new/additional fans to vent it. I’m a tad hesitant to do anything with that space that would obstruct the airflow or worse add heat there. But it is awfully tempting to think of ways to use that space.
Agreed. I am doing some testing right now in 90 F humid conditions with the Airstream in full sun. The fridge during the hottest parts of the day is getting into the 40s (low) and at night it gets to 36. And this Airstream is 6 days out of the dealer showroom. So I now believe a fan to remove heat up through the roof vent is needed regardless of adding a microwave. The nice part is that the 12v and 110 v is right there to use for the fan and microwave. Surprised Airstream did not put a reefer switch to a fan in that compartment like our 22FB had.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Question about microwave above fridge in 2022 23cb

Has anyone successfully installed a microwave in the small space above the the refrigerator in a 2022 Flying Cloud/ International 23cb? If so, I am curious to learn the details. Thanks.
PNW Streamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
We took out the thin panel behind the door above the fridge. As stated earlier, the entire space was free above the fridge. In our AS, that space has a 110V outlet and some wires for the TV. The outlet was on the inverter circuit. The outlet had the TV cord run through a hole in the sideway plugged right into the outlet so there was one plug free.

Not all AS will be the same I am sure.

The space upward leads to the curved roof and a big screened vent.

We added a board to the top of the fridge, fastened to the top of the fridge with super duty velcro tape from 3M, then with brackets fastened to the board and the sides of the microwave, fastened down this microwave: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 and just plugged it in to the existing outlet.

The space also allowed us to install the base unit for our Weboost to the right of the microwave.

I did add a 12v fan on a switch at the vent to vent warm air out of the trailer.

But between rarely using the microwave and the space never getting very hot, I never use it.

We also added these struts to the door to keep it up when using the microwave https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

The new all 12v fridge works far better than any other AS fridge we have had (5th AS at this point) but it uses a lot of juice. On a good day (sunny), our 270 solar watts keep up with the drain but barely.

We have 200AmpHrs of Lithium.

We boondock occasionally. But usually we camp with just electric service.

We did just get the new Honda generator and it runs on propane and provides a virtually full 30 amp service and is very small and light https://www.amazon.com/Honda-EU3200i...5384889&sr=8-3

And we have the EZ Start in the AC unit.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:13 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Thanks. Do you recall what size microwave you were able to fit in the cabinet space? I’m wondering about both the dimensions of the oven and wattage. This is something we use a lot. Currently considering whether to travel a considerable distance to look at a 2022 23cb but if it can’t accommodate a microwave that would be big enough to hold a regular plate, that could be a deal breaker. Thanks again for the info and links to products you used.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:25 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

To clarify, the link on Amazon to the microwave shows 2 sizes. A smaller oven that is 700 W and 0.7 cubic feet, and a larger one that is 1000W and 1.1 cubic feet. Do you recall which size you were able to fit in the cabinet?
Old 09-23-2023, 07:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
The microwave is the smaller one. I just went out to our AS and tried a full sized dinner plate and it does fit and spins when the oven is on. The dinner plate measures 10.25" in diameter.

The glass plate that spins and comes with the microwave is 10" in diameter.

Hope that helps!