Old 09-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Nashua , New Hampshire
2021 Flying Cloud

Just purchased a 2021 Flying Cloud. Our first Airstream as we dive back into the camping scene after a few years. Should arrive around Thanksgiving (already on order at the dealer) 30' RB configurations. Would like to hear peoples thoughts in general and if anyone has added a screen room to the awning . Looking forward to joining the Airstream world.
Davekimcado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I have an 18 30RB, only had it since June, but I like it and wouldn't change much. A free standing screen room would probably be a better choice than a screen room attached to the awning. That way you can put the awning away if you leave the campsite for a few hours and also if a strong wind or storm blows through. The screen room can be left when you're gone and isn't a big concern during a storm. You're not out much if it's blown away or damaged by the wind. I once lost an awning that I left extended while I was away for a couple of hours. Insurance covered the damage but I won't leave one up again if I leave the campground.
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
Is it January yet?

Currently Looking...
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
We've camped about 60 nights since picking up our Airstream last year, with 80% of them in campgrounds. I don't see many people using awning screens, but there are quite a few RVs that have free-standing screen rooms.
t
This past weekend, we were atacked by a sudden violent thunderstorm that came out of nowhere. I barely had time to retract my manual ZipDee. Some of my camping neighbors weren't so lucky, and I saw at least 3 awnings were turned inside out or ripped from trailers. The free standing screen rooms fared much better, even though they remained deployed during the storm.

My personal fear would be the time needed to pull everything in when needing to suddenly prepare for bad weather.
ProPride 3P w/ 1400 lb. spring bars
jaybauman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Homosassa , Florida
I have the ZipDee sun screen (not a screen room) that we use in sunny places. We only leave our awning out if we are sitting outside. It snaps on and comes off in seconds. We can unsnap the screen and have the awning up in just over a minute. A screen room would definitely take longer.

Jim
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #5

2021 30' Flying Cloud
San Tan Valley , Arizona
Hi Davekimcado,

I was beginning to think I wrote your posting. We just ordered a 30' Flying Cloud RB and it should be ready sometime mid to late November as well. Additionally, we have been out of the camping scene for several years and really miss it. This is our 2nd Airstream, the first being a classic. We then up-sized to a 45' class A for a number of years. Thought we were done and sold it. However, we miss camping but wanted something a little more compact to get into state parks. Congratulations on your Flying Cloud and happy camping.
Rabbit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit53 View Post

We then up-sized to a 45' class A for a number of years.
Dang, those things are monsters! Enjoy your new AS!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Detaching Sun Screen to retract ZipDee Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I have the ZipDee sun screen (not a screen room) that we use in sunny places. We only leave our awning out if we are sitting outside. It snaps on and comes off in seconds. We can unsnap the screen and have the awning up in just over a minute. A screen room would definitely take longer.

Jim
No need to take the sun screen off to retract awning. It will roll right up with it. For travel you will have to remove sunscreen from awning as it will not lock in place for going down the road.

Love our ZipDee Sunscreen!!!!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote