Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
2020 Mercedes Benz GLE 4-Matic abs towing???

So I’m now 100% confused and a bit overwhelmed... Trying to find a good tow vehicle that fits our needs... We prefer a “smallish” tow vehicle such as the Mercedes GLE, Porsche Cayenne which appears to be able to tow a decent amount for not being a truck or larger SUV such as a Ford Expedition, Yukon, Escalade etc...

I was seriously considering the following today and am now surprised to see how in paper this sounded okay at least from the 7,700 lbs towing an increase from what was 7,200 in prior years... But the engine I longer being a V6 and the torque nit being that high may not make this work after all....???

Your thoughts for the specs on the following 2020 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4matic.

Horsepower: 255hp @ 5,800RPM
Transmission: 9 speed automatic
Cylinder configuration: I-4 Turbo
Torque: 273 lb.-ft. @ 1,800RPM

Towing capacity: 7,700lbs
Payload: 1,521lbs

Airstream
2021 Flying Cloud 23FB
Hitch weight with LP batteries*: 467lbs
Unit base weight with LP batteries*: 4,806

The prior generation of the MB GLE 350-Matic

3.5L V6
302HP
273lb torque
7,200 towing capacity

Possibly the older set up was better? Although the towing capacity increased in the 2020...

Your thoughts on this as a tow vehicle???
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
First off the 7,700 tow rating is set for the European market. So while it changed, it was only the basis that changed. The European caravans are built differently and towing speeds are lower. So 7200 is still the better number for that vehicle.

Loaded, the 23' will be closer to 6,500-6,800 lbs and 800 lb tongue weight. Still a good match as the vehicle itself is quite competent on its own so it will tow very nicely.

Payload numbers are not contrived for this vehicle so if you take off 700-800 for the tongue and 300 for two occupants you are left with just 400-500 for other people and gear. Not much.

HP is a tad low, but not bad, 255 hp is enough to maintain speed on all but the very steepest grades. Torque is also a bit low so acceleration on a grade will not be great but will be passable.

There are some slightly larger SUV's and vans with a bit more payload if you need it. The other European and Asian SUVs are very similar to this one but some have a bit more margin.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Check with Andy Thompson @ CanAm in London Ontario. He is the towing wizard. Worth the trip when the border re-opens.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Check with Andy Thompson @ CanAm in London Ontario. He is the towing wizard. Worth the trip when the border re-opens.
Andy definitely knows the capabilities of this vehicle. I followed Andy's recommendations and he set up both of my Mercedes tow vehicles 2014 ML350 Bluetec and its newest replacement a 2020 GLS580.

There are lots of threads on this and similar vehicles you can search here.

I think you should consider the GLE 450 IMO a better match for what you are trying to tow.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
We travelled extensively pulling 23fb with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel it worked well towing but limited the amount of gear we could bring. The Jeep has towing specs comparable to the MB you mention. Now, with a pick up I easily load generator, grill, lawn chairs, dog crates, tool box, 5 gal gas can and a large cooler
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
Jackson the Airstream

2020 30' Classic
Aurora , Ontario
For what it’s worth...Andy has our 2012 ML Bluetec pulling our new 2020 Classic 30’, it doesn’t feel any different than when it was pulling the 27’ Pendleton. Just back recently from 4000km trip north of Lake Superior...lots of long hills, up and down, no issue.
Philandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The GVW of both 23’ models is 6,000 pounds. After extensive modifications, our 2015 23D International Serenity scales 6,069 pounds camping ready with a 929 pound tongue weight. Real world numbers.

My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI 3.0L V6 turbo diesel had more torque than the over 5 liter v8 gasoline choice of the day. After a trip to CanAm in London Ontario to reinforce the factory receiver to support a weight distribution hitch and shorten the Hensley Arrow stinger and prebend it to preload the hitch jacks, I was able to tow a brand new 2013 25FB International Serenity that had street and rear awnings added along with a 150 watt solar panel on the roof and full fresh water and propane tanks. It had a Hensley Arrow hitch and a Prodigy RF brake system installed. The tongue weight was 1,150 pounds and scaled over 6000 pounds. Towed at 55 mph. After loading the trailer to 6,900 pounds for camping the ML was taxed and making straining sounds in the drive train. Replaced the ML with a 2012. Ram 2500HD Cummins and tow issues resolved for the 25FB and it’s successor, our current 2014 31’ Classic that scales 9,200 pounds camping read. After removing the retrofitted Lifeline AGM batteries and installing a 600 amphor lithium battery, the tongue weight is down to 1,175 pounds. trailer is heavily modified.

I picked up our 2015 23D International Serenity with the ML. Replaced stock 14” tires and wheels with 15” SenDel wheels and Michelin tires. These are the same size tires we had put on the 25FB so the 23D was at the same elevation as the 25FB. All settings for the hitch system remained the same. Drove at 55 mph as this was the sweet spot for the 3.0 L diesel.

The V6 was adequate for this combination and was not steressed in the mountains as 4th gear and 3,500 rpm would maintain 55 on most inclines. We used second gear on 6% down slopes in our local mountains at the posted 35 mph and the back pressure of the diesel kept the rig at 35 with no brake input.

This 4 cylinder gasoline engine is already running hot and is maxed out with twin turbos. Do not expect engine longevity towing. Mountains will be a challenge both up and down as gasoline engines have insignificant back pressure as compared to diesel to control descents.

The 3.0L V6 Mercedes engine has a chronic design failure issue at about every 75,000 where the gaskets at the back of the engine valley oil cooler fail generating a $3,500 repair bill. At 205,000 miles, it was about to happen again and the ML was not worth that much so it is gone. My wife’s 2009 E320 CDI with 3.0L V6 turbo diesel had 70,000 miles and was exhibiting this issue so it too is gone.

If planning to tow with a Mercedes, buy the longest time and miles extended Mercedes warranty they offer or plan to change vehicles every 50,000 miles while the original warranty is in place. Engine repairs are priced out of sight and it is a $500 hand shake at nearly every service.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
While you can't have too much tow vehicle, you can have too little. Make a list of what you intend to take along -# of people, # of animals, folding chairs, BBQ or grill, heavy food (dog food, canned food...all weigh a lot!), generator, extra fuel, tools and make sure you add the weight to your totals.

Check with an expert, purchase and have all secondary market needs (equalizer, hitch, brakes) installed and road tested by an expert. Have your entire rig carefully and professionally weighed when you think you have it right and practice so you know how to load, know what you can take, know how to maneuver and are comfortable with it.

On Memorial Day this year, we saw 2 totalled trailers in 50 miles. One was an Airstream (too little tow vehicle and a necessary sudden lane change flipped the trailer onto it's top whereby the tow vehicle was turned 90 degrees onto its side, and yes, they had sway bars) and a "Who knows what brand it was?" that was totally demolished in the same situation. That one wound up with the tow vehicle on it's back and injured passengers lying on the freeway...the RV was in small pieces everywhere.

Be smart, be careful, be prepared.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Great points Atwebs. It's unfortunate those campers didn't realize their combinations were not stable. If your pulling a large heavy trailer with a vehicle who's towing limit is lower Than or very close to the stated limits, and for these vehicles it would be 25-27' and greater, how do you know if you have to do an emergency swerve in a crosswind and manage accidentally to find the trailer yaw angle above 3 degrees (6-10 inches off track) which is beyond the point the trailer is inherently stable that the tow vehicle has mass and size to maintain control and bring the trailer back in track? These two people unfortunately found out the hard way they did not.

Fortunately in this thread the question involves a setup that will fall under the limits
Old 11-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
First off the 7,700 tow rating is set for the European market. So while it changed, it was only the basis that changed. The European caravans are built differently and towing speeds are lower. So 7200 is still the better number for that vehicle.

Loaded, the 23' will be closer to 6,500-6,800 lbs and 800 lb tongue weight. Still a good match as the vehicle itself is quite competent on its own so it will tow very nicely.

Payload numbers are not contrived for this vehicle so if you take off 700-800 for the tongue and 300 for two occupants you are left with just 400-500 for other people and gear. Not much.

HP is a tad low, but not bad, 255 hp is enough to maintain speed on all but the very steepest grades. Torque is also a bit low so acceleration on a grade will not be great but will be passable.

There are some slightly larger SUV's and vans with a bit more payload if you need it. The other European and Asian SUVs are very similar to this one but some have a bit more margin.

Thanks for your reply, The size of the GLE is what we preferred even as the 2020 is a bit larger than prior generation. I haven’t seen many Asian SUVs unless we get much larger in size. The Audi Q7 comes to mind as larger than this maybe closer to the GLS size but probably capable as well. Was a bit surprised to see the engine change for 2020 from the v6 over 300hp to the 4 cylinder turbo with lower HP and similar torque.

So in general you think it’ll be close but that the 2020 GLE 350 4matic can likely work? With some issues around mountains etc...
Old 11-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post

Thanks! I will reach out to the guru! I have Audi Q5 TDI abs although it has tow capacity of 4,400 Andy indicated to me it could do the job if I want. I think it’s 240 or 250hp abs torque is amazing around 420lbs I think... Not sure as a new tower I should use the Q5 TDI so looking at other options.

I’ll reach out and see his thoughts on this setup.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
We travelled extensively pulling 23fb with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel it worked well towing but limited the amount of gear we could bring. The Jeep has towing specs comparable to the MB you mention. Now, with a pick up I easily load generator, grill, lawn chairs, dog crates, tool box, 5 gal gas can and a large cooler

Someone mentioned to look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango. I think the Durango is bigger abs Grand Cherokee might be similar size as GLE.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdakine1 View Post
So I’m now 100% confused and a bit overwhelmed... Trying to find a good tow vehicle that fits our needs... We prefer a “smallish” tow vehicle such as the Mercedes GLE, Porsche Cayenne which appears to be able to tow a decent amount for not being a truck or larger SUV such as a Ford Expedition, Yukon, Escalade etc...

[snip]

Possibly the older set up was better? Although the towing capacity increased in the 2020...

Your thoughts on this as a tow vehicle???
I can't speak about the Mercedes, but I can speak about the Cayenne. I have a 2016 Porsche Cayenne base model (300hp gasoline V6). With it I have pulled a variety of Airstreams, from 22-foot to 29-foot, all over the US, coast to coast, border to border. Though my Airstreams are older vintage (1955-1975), and therefor a bit lighter than modern ones, my 1973, 29-foot Ambassador weighs in at about 6000 pounds wet. My Cayenne is rated for 7700 pounds, and it pulls the trailer just fine. The only time I wanted more power was when pulling this trailer up 8% incline winding at 10,000 feet on the West side of Denver, but slow speeds and high revs got us through (I had never seen an 8% incline before). Of course, you'll need a brake controller installed, and will no doubt want/need a weight distribution hitch system to level things out.

-Glen
beechbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If I were going to go for a new GLE to tow a small Airstream, I'd consider the GLE 450 with the 6-cylinder/turbo/EQ-boost to be the starting point.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdakine1 View Post
Thanks for your reply, The size of the GLE is what we preferred even as the 2020 is a bit larger than prior generation. I haven’t seen many Asian SUVs unless we get much larger in size. The Audi Q7 comes to mind as larger than this maybe closer to the GLS size but probably capable as well. Was a bit surprised to see the engine change for 2020 from the v6 over 300hp to the 4 cylinder turbo with lower HP and similar torque.

So in general you think it’ll be close but that the 2020 GLE 350 4matic can likely work? With some issues around mountains etc...
I do believe the GLE will marginally do the job. It will tow nicely and handle very well, particularly if you pay attention to set up. I doubt anyone can configure a setup much better than Can Am.

the Audi Q5 is too small to remain stable if you accidentally get the trailer a bit sideways in a panic event. The combination of a competent driver, nice handling and active stability control will make it rare but if it happens, the Q5 will loose control as the previous poster described. I wouldn't take that risk and it sounds like you don't want to either. The GLE is just a touch more forgiving and will be harder still to get it unstable.

As was mentioned previously by me and others steep grades will give you some minor issues. Gear capacity is a big issue so consider what you want to bring with you before making a commitment.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Temecula , California
I bought a 2020 GLE 350 in November 2019, with anticipation of getting a trailer. Picked up my 2019 FC 19CBB in March. Blue Ox Sway and Prodigy RF. It was a rainy day in Socal, wet freeways, traffic, the usual mess. The GLE 350 performed well, but I knew I was towing, as does the vehicle, which I think is really cool. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the slight pushing and pulling during acceleration and deceleration. Gear hunting was an issue and watching the Engine Data on the MBUX screen gave lots of info, especially the transmission and oil temperatures, along with observing that torque and hp were always at the high end and turbo boost kicking in constantly.

March 2020, I had a conversation with MB, compared all the data between the GLE 450 and 350. Scheduled a test drive, pulled the trailer. Within an hour I was convinced the 2020 GLE 450 was far more superior in power and handling. The dealership worked with me, received top dollar trade in on my GLE 350 with only 5000 miles and bought the GLE 450 at an excellent cost!

The GLE 450 is a great ride, and the technology behind it with the EQ Boost is well worth the investment. The computers are well aware that you are hooking up a trailer, it adapts immediately. Pulling Tiny Cloud around on short hops in SoCal is now a pleasure.

Now for some negative comments. The Information you receive from others is noteworthy, but you need to drive around and determine if this SUV will last as long as your Airstream ownership. I really like my 450, but I don't like how it squats with the initial hookup. The tail end receives an abundance of lift once the WDH is attached and the weights across all axles are almost 1/3 equally. The MB has a spongy ride, even with 20 inch tires, that's because it's set up as a passenger vehicle. Payload a serious consideration. With 600 pounds on the hitch, I am lucky to have 300 pounds left for passengers and cargo, meaning everything goes inside the trailer. Can't carry that generator if you need one as a backup power source.

I am aware every one suggest CanAm and I understand the desire to modify their existing vehicle for a better enhancement in towing, but spending all that cash on a MB that only provides a trailer hitch, wiring, and transmission cooler the size of an 8 ounce can of coke is a bit disheartening. If MB was serious about towing, perhaps better suspension and tires might have been in their cost analysis.

The GLE 450 will perform. It is an exceptional ride. But I rather drive the RAM 1500 for longer hauls. Bigger vehicle, more carrying capacity, and the ride very comfortable. But it's great to know that the GLE450 is my backup vehicle and that it can perform a good job for those quick close by getaways.
Tiny Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Too many "arm chair" engineers on this forum. They probably have never designed anything real in their lives. You will get all sorts of "nay sayers". Talk to people that actually tow with vehicles like the one you're proposing. I tow with an 08 ML320CDI. Haven't had any of the oil seal issues in over 230k. Well over 50k in towing on this rig with the AS. Been coast to coast with it. Out east with it 6 times. Cape Breton, Outer Banks, Pennsylvania, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, California, New Mexico, Colorado and everything in between.

If you want to tow with this type of vehicle talk to Andy otherwise it won't be setup properly.

Personally I would upgrade to the 450 or a Cayenne 8 cylinder. If I decide to upgrade that's what I'll be doing. But for now I'm sticking with my ML.

I will say that the ML is quite low. I had to replace the fuel tank after running over a bunch of boulders on a logging road. I guess if you stay of them you'll be alright. But I like the back country. The Cayenne looks a lot higher. That's really my only concern with the MB.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I recently went from a Touareg V-6 (similar to the Porsche) to the Mercedes 350 and I tow a lighter trailer than yours but my impressions towing are:

1. The stiffer ride of the Touareg made for a better tow.

2. The rear end on the Touareg didn't squat as much as the Mercedes (weight distribution bars are needed on both)

3. The Touareg was peppier on acceleration than the mercedes.

When I was shopping for a new car this year there were few options available that fit the bill.

Touaregs are no longer imported to the USA so that option was off the table. I looked at the Audi Q7 and liked it but passed based on the stock 3rd row seats as they substantially reduce cargo space. Also the dealer was difficult to work with. I went shopping with my DH along. Sales people only wanted to talk to him, make eye contact with him, negotiate with him.... Fail. My rig, I make the deal.

I looked at the cayenne but passed based on price and lack of available service in my area.

I also checked out The toyota sequoia (too big for daily driver).

That left the Mercedes and it's a great daily driver - it's an adequate but not exciting tow vehicle.

For your heavier trailer I would upsize to the 450 but first I would look at the Porsche...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Relaying personal towing experience for the exact same towing combination is invaluable, particularly when they not only describe ride comfort and handling performance but also precise technical performance including speed on grade, engine and transmission performance, cooling and braking. Most important is towing safety experience including response to sway and oversteer along with the hitch model and setup details. Unfortunately most drivers are unaware of towing instability, don't know how to detect or measure them. They don't know how far laterally out of track the trailer can get without becoming unstable, and often don't understand the mechanism that leads to instability. Instead they reason that the vehicle handles so well, it must be safe. Experienced drivers intuitively stay away from the margins and often incorrectly conclude their combination is inherently stable when it is not simply because "they have never had an issue".

Fortunately the combination under consideration in this tread is within the safety capability of the vehicle for the likely road conditions, though with larger trailers this vehicle should have significant support from a Hensley or Propride hitch to remain stable if the trailer experienced any significant yaw and still the driver must carefully maintain trailer yaw below about 2 1/2 degrees to be certain they don't have an event.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Andy @ CanAm is marrying our 2012 GL350 bt, to our 2000 30ft classic this week we pick the rig on Saturday, I towed about 5000kms this summer with my 2005 F-150, so looking forward to testing out the Benz.Click image for larger version

Name:	.pending-1605814602-PXL_20201008_194646882~2.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	383109
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote