Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2018, 03:16 AM   #2361
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If you read the posts I referenced it should be fairly clear IMO. I am on the road now and can't go into detail. You may have to read 20-30 posts to find the relevant ones.

Just "Quote" whatever post is confusing, and someone will reply here, even if it is not TCwheels. [ . . . although he is usually quite good -- they may be on a trip IMO.]

Peter
Ok. Thanks. Will attempt it in mid-November.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #2362
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
RE WeBoot

It took me sometime to get this project both put together and back from trip to report on it.

My first test was at Gros Ventre Campground, Jackson Wyoming in the Tetons.

I'm must say from my standpoint it worked wonderfully.

My iPhone flickering between one half and one bar of service, with we boost turned on it went to a solid four bars and my download throughput multiplied five times .

This continued down through flaming Gorge, Crawford State Park, and the blue Mesa reservoir.

The antenna is at about 20' on an adjustable flag pole.

This AS model has 2 cable ports andi i used the sat connection into the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna connection55.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	977.4 KB
ID:	324911   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna connection-2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	644.3 KB
ID:	324912  

Name:	20180918-RTqIEzRjS3yOmWiYfmpdEA_thumb_d65.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	916.5 KB
ID:	324913  
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #2363
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the great report and photos.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #2364
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Sorry, for the delay Rovin! You were correct, Peter, we were on the road in Utah mostly in the boonies w/o service. I’ll reply to your message Rovin, but removal of dinette is very simple. Remove 10 or so wood screws accessed inside each of the seat cabinets that hold it to the floor. Lift it out. That’s it.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:57 AM   #2365
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Darrell.

Bob, do I recall correctly you posting about the tray for the propane tanks having some loose screws?

wulfraat just posted in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ls-188164.html

. . . a link for checking for AS recalls, which leads to this page:

http://www.arfc.org/rvs/airstream/fl...d/recalls.aspx

. . . where near the bottom there are some recalls which may apply to you, Bob, and the rest of us.

Happy trails,

Peter

[OT quote to get your attention . . . ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
well ok, time to talk to my plumber buddy.
. . .
Old 10-11-2018, 03:10 AM   #2366
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsr View Post
. . .
I'm must say from my standpoint it worked wonderfully.
. . .
Thanks again for the earlier post and photos. Is your Weboost antenna this or a similar one?

https://www.weboost.com/products/311133

This one looks like yours, but is discontinued. Would appreciate more info about the antenna you used, as well as the base unit inside.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #2367
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Sorry, for the delay Rovin! You were correct, Peter, we were on the road in Utah mostly in the boonies w/o service. I’ll reply to your message Rovin, but removal of dinette is very simple. Remove 10 or so wood screws accessed inside each of the seat cabinets that hold it to the floor. Lift it out. That’s it.
Fantastic! Thanks. I will try this mid-November. (I’m asking my upholsterer to replace the funky textured fabric with ultraleather that matches the hampers at the foot and head of the bed and then reupholster the cushions in sunbrella deep blue fabric for a contrast.)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:35 AM   #2368
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Do you have any challenges with the wind banging the flag pole against the back of the Airstream? I really like the way you did you set up. I ended up getting a flag pole holder and running mine through the window frame at the front end.
The WeBoost units are amazing. I really like the results.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #2369
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Steve, if I understood Lynn's comment correctly, takes his antenna output to the Satellite connection on the rear street side, and then picks up this signal inside with another cable to the Weboost base unit. His second photo shows this elegant solution IMO.

I am pretty sure our 2014 FC20 has the same twin ports back there [CATV and Satellite TV].

Nice!

Peter
Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #2370
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Do you have any challenges with the wind banging the flag pole against the back of the Airstream? I really like the way you did you set up. I ended up getting a flag pole holder and running mine through the window frame at the front end.
Ditto on the WeBoost.

Steve, if you look closely at the bottom picture you can see that I mounted the flagpole at slight a angle to take care of that problem.

I mounted the flagpole straight up and down,(with a slight offset to the rear hand side) I get very little movement from it even in the wind

Lynnsr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flag & Antenna.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	916.5 KB
ID:	324969  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #2371
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Thanks again for the earlier post and photos. Is your Weboost antenna this or a similar one?

https://www.weboost.com/products/311133

This one looks like yours, but is discontinued. Would appreciate more info about the antenna you used, as well as the base unit inside.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter

The base unit that I purchased which includes the top part of the antenna you see in the pictures was a WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV.

The ground plane and the flagpole attachment to that antenna, I made myself.

A flat to metal ground plane comes with the kit however I felt was inappropriate, stuck 20 foot in the air with the wind.

If you would like I can get you additional information on exactly what I made.

Lynn Senior
Old 10-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #2372
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Lynn,

Here that unit is for everyone's information:

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv
https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-47041.../dp/B01N705CF3

The Weboost site includes PDF copies of the specs and user manual FYI.

I probably won't get around to this until next season, so no further details needed at this time, but thanks for the offer.

Someone else had posted a similar high pole solution in another thread, and it seems like a great approach. Yes, you have to put the pole and antenna up each time, but the increased reception seems worth the effort IMO.

Thanks again,

Peter
Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #2373
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Steve, if I understood Lynn's comment correctly, takes his antenna output to the Satellite connection on the rear street side, and then picks up this signal inside with another cable to the Weboost base unit. His second photo shows this elegant solution IMO.

I am pretty sure our 2014 FC20 has the same twin ports back there [CATV and Satellite TV].

Nice!

Peter
Correct.

Lynnsr
Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #2374
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
SHOULD HAVE READ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman

Ditto on the WeBoost.

Steve, if you look closely at the bottom picture you can see that I mounted the flagpole (FOR THE FLAG) at slight a angle to take care of that problem.

I mounted the flagpole ( FOR THE ANTENNA) straight up and down,(with a slight offset to the rear hand side) I get very little movement from it even in the wind

Lynnsr
Attached Thumbnails

Name: Flag & Antenna.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 916.5 KB
ID: 324969
Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #2375
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Has anyone tried to replace the screen on the windows by the dinette? Seems easy until you realize the cabinets are about an inch lower than the top bead of the screen and it takes some magic to get the bead in. A screen bead roller won’t work. Fingers don’t work. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #2376
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Plz see my reply in your new thread, which will bring many non-20-footer replies IMO.

Peter
Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #2377
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks Darrell.

Bob, do I recall correctly you posting about the tray for the propane tanks having some loose screws?

wulfraat just posted in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ls-188164.html

. . . a link for checking for AS recalls, which leads to this page:

http://www.arfc.org/rvs/airstream/fl...d/recalls.aspx

. . . where near the bottom there are some recalls which may apply to you, Bob, and the rest of us.

Happy trails,

Peter

[OT quote to get your attention . . . ]
Just got back from 2 weeks in RenoReno and Bishop.... where we caught the SpaceX launch coming over N Palisade (eastern side of the Sierras)

https://www.reuters.com/video/2018/1...eoId=471462281

I was thinking a light dot like the video starts out and so no camera/phone and no time to go back and to the house, but this link is very real. Truly incredible

back to Peter's post..as for the quote to get your attention...the link is regarding plumbing ells to ease restrictions and provide for better flow.

However I'll look for my earlier post re the propane tray. Mine (for memory) 1 never screwed in, 2 that cam off in my had and 1 intact....and the local dealer had signed off on it being complete. Ballistic did not accurately describe my reaction with the dealer and JC.

as for the tires, I wonder if ther is some confusion re D/E on the 20's the old GYM' were D, but the new GYE's are E's. However some dual axle units may only need the D's to be within range. I may be misreading this tho.

as for the ele recall, I'll have to check my mfg date and give JC a call. I suspect fr me, this could have slipped between the cracks like the propane tray) as while mine was a 2014 sold new and not used, was not bought until 5/2015...maybe the notified the dealer, which explains a lot especially in light of the tray inspection (above)

Peter thanks for the ele heads up!
b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #2378
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin Raven View Post
Has anyone tried to replace the screen on the windows by the dinette? Seems easy until you realize the cabinets are about an inch lower than the top bead of the screen and it takes some magic to get the bead in. A screen bead roller won’t work. Fingers don’t work. Any ideas?

Rovin Raven, not here...I presumed the roller would fit. Makes sense that it doesn't

b
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #2379
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Plz see my reply in your new thread, which will bring many non-20-footer replies IMO.

Peter

???
Old 10-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #2380
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=lynnsr;2167081]SHOULD HAVE READ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman

Ditto on the WeBoost.

Steve, if you look closely at the bottom picture you can see that I mounted the flagpole (FOR THE FLAG) at slight a angle to take care of that problem.

I mounted the flagpole ( FOR THE ANTENNA) straight up and down,(with a slight offset to the rear hand side) I get very little movement from it even in the wind

Lynnsr

Lynnsr...nice mf'ring for the holders. Great idea and location.

I can't use the Sat connection as I installed our wally in the Blu-Ray spot and the sat connection is spoken for. However I have always thought about using the same connection method (OEM sat/Cab) cover for a skin intrusion for a we-booost. I'm also considering using the blank cover for wiring intrusion for additional stop/turn signals at the bumper level (fed internally from the existing lights) as the bike cover, obstructs the lights when the bike cover is on. I think in one of the weboost threads someone used the std cover but with a foam sheet (sliced in an x patter) to allow the wiring to pass thru with the cover up.

B