Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #341
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob for the comments on music in this thread. Happy to move on to a new thread if anyone wishes . . . Thanks also for the suggestions on further Chet Atkins tunes. I don't think that 1987 PBS special is available on their store, at least on a quick look.

An update on the pump and winterization --

Our forecast through Thanksgiving does not predict any serious cold weather, so I "summer-ized" the pipes today, and plan to go to the local county campground to spend a night or two, and to dump my black water tank. I am not set up to do this at my rental cottage, although I can drain the grey water into the garden especially as it is mostly water at this point.

We are thinking of taking the trailer south to at least Virginia during Thanksgiving week. After that, who knows what!

The new pump dampener feet seem to have made a big difference in the noise, although I still need to put the large drawer back under the oven to make a final assessment. I never made contact with the HVAC contractor who I know will be able to supply the quietest feet for this. For now I just wanted it all back together.

Glad I did the initial winterization, pump dampener foot pads, and recent summerization, as I feel much more comfortable heading South, now more familiar with the coach's innards.

"Just Can't Wait To Get On The Road Again . . . "

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #342
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Mazoolah,
Miss your contributions....hoping as the originator of this "20 Footer Thread" you jump back on board!
Hi! Mazoolah and I have been so busy traveling with the trailer we haven't had a moment to jump onto the forum. And when we are home, we are either at work or falling asleep before nine!
We had a great summer and fall with our 20'fc. We were able to take it out almost every other weekend. But now it's getting close to the time to put it away for the season. Once it's tucked away in storage - I'm sure you will more postings!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #343
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Mazoolah,
Miss your contributions....hoping as the originator of this "20 Footer Thread" you jump back on board!
Well Thanks ! I'm still lurking around , mostly just using the trailer as much as possible this summer . Starting to think about storage ,hoping to get a trip in somewhere before thanksgiving . We have a garage rental lined up for the winter but curious anybody using a portable carport/garage ?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #344
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
I'm totally in with letting the thread wander around - with the focal point being our 20s.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #345
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
We're heading to the Carolinas the second week in November for two weeks and joining the Hunting Island Hiatus rally on 14th and 15th. We're staying outside Asheville NC a few days before the rally and at Edisto Beach a few days after. Anybody going to be in that area then?

We store in a heated garage so I've not winterized yet and plan to do that after we return. I just drain the FW tank and WH tank use the compressor to blow out the lines. This year I'm adding RV anti-freeze to the traps. We haven't traveled with the AS in cold weather so I've been reading threads about that and I think we'll be fine driving down without winterizing completely. Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #346
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Do you have tank heaters? My coach happened to have them, and they are good insurance in marginal weather I guess. No experience with them as my 1985 25' AS was more basic. At least you know your trailer well, so could do a basic winterization quickly as needed. I have been following a few winterization threads which I will look for and post.

I posted some links in a few threads about The Appalachians and Asheville weather, including these monthly overviews which are helpful for planning IMO --

Virginia Beach:

Virginia Beach November Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for VA 23451

Asheville:

Asheville November Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for NC 28801

Beaufort SC:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bea...onyr=11/1/2015

Note the graphs at the bottom, which are very handy to check each day if any dodgy cold weather threatens.

Have fun on your trip. I will post our progress after Thanksgiving in case we are in the same area. Have you considered starting your own thread for the trip?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #347
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FWIW -- Here are some of the threads about winterizing which I have bookmarked to follow over the last few months. You have probably seen most of them already.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...re-142731.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ns-142468.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ng-142478.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...0f-142250.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ng-141977.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...er-142064.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...am-141951.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...th-141767.html

And one about Asheville NC:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ue-142004.html

TCwheels you seem more experienced than most of the posters in these threads, so sorry for all the reading possibilities, but here it is for your information and for what it's worth.

Have fun!

Peter
Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #348
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We mounted the water pressure accumulator under the sink in our 25 (we also owned a 20). I don't recall there is a specific orientation, just that it must be installed on a cold water line, and anywhere on a cold water line. It comes from the factory preloaded to 30 psi and we found that is a good setting, however there is a schrader valve on the end to add more or less air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	251155  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:43 AM   #349
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Nice easy accessible location in your 25,' doug, and thanks for the photo. Those are the standard SS braided risers I believe? I guess gravity would do an OK job of draining the accumulator if you removed the two risers and let them also drain on a towel, after doing all the other gravity and compressed air work for winterization. Still curious what the mfg. recommends.

As you may recall, in our FC20 units the space under the large drawer under the oven is not so user friendly! I will post a photo when this Air Forums site sorts out its photo attachment issues.

TCwheels may not have to winterize his new accumulator perfectly, as he just mentioned that his coach spends the winter in a heated garage. Nice!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #350
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Hello, I use to own a 2011 20'

On the water pump noise, a computer mouse pad under the pump will quite it down a lot. The pump does not need to be screwed down tight. Just enough to keep it from walking around during travels and use. The actuator tank is also not needed or recommended. There is an adjustment screw on the front of the pump. It's on the pressure switch. They can come loose during travels. All you need to do is tweak the screw one way or the other. Higher pressure equal shorter cycles.

Regards,
Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #351
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bigventure I saw your post on the other thread, and am looking forward to checking this out soon. Many thanks for the heads up!

Not sure if you read my recent post about making up new pump footpads using felt and mouse pad washers, plus loose hold down screws, but it seems to have made a big difference.

Thanks again,

Peter
Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #352
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Being a newbie I haven't had the chance to explore and ID much less comprehend all of the systems as yet. I contacted JCtr and requested a plumbing plan with all the individual details. AS is no different than anyone else building something of significant volume, and I there must be a good set plans somewhere. They responded the following day with a pdf'd set of plans and details...19 pages worth! It certainly helped accelerate my learning curve as I'm getting ready for my first winterization this weekend. Pretty comprehensive. They should have it posted on their website. They also sent two pdf's of winterization guides (Schu's News and another updated version with pictures, I also believe from Dave Schumann).

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:22 AM   #353
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
I'm totally in with letting the thread wander around - with the focal point being our 20s.
Thanks.

By the way, do you know if Hagerty Insurance in TC insures classic Airstreams? Jay is looking for coverage apparently:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ml#post1703410

Perhaps you could chime in on this thread if you know? I met one of the owners back in the 90's but have not insured with them. Thanks.

Jay's main thread is about maneuvering his new (old) AS is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-s-142909.html

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:05 AM   #354
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks.

By the way, do you know if Hagerty Insurance in TC insures classic Airstreams? Jay is looking for coverage apparently:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ml#post1703410

Perhaps you could chime in on this thread if you know? I met one of the owners back in the 90's but have not insured with them. Thanks.

Jay's main thread is about maneuvering his new (old) AS is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-s-142909.html

Thanks.

That's a great question. Coincidently, I was over there last week and could have inquired...I'll check and then connect with Jay.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:07 AM   #355
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is the original photo of my pump and filter which I had difficulty posting. Thank you to the Support team and moderators for clearing up the problem yesterday!

Name:	FC20 pump A 18 OCT 2015.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	251262

The 1x4 valance/kick is the blonde wood at the bottom.

Here is a so-so shot of the new footpads/dampeners, with the OEM rubber feet visible above the felt furniture glides, with 2 layers of mouse pad material on the floor. [you can double click on the photo to bring up an enlargement]

Name:	FC20 pump footpads A 29 OCT 2015.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	251263

Note that the screw heads are somewhat above the pump's cast metal feet and washers, to minimize vibration being sent down into the floor through the screw shafts. The screws are very tight in their pilot holes, so it is unlikely IMO they could vibrate up just from road action. Also, the intake and discharge hoses are clamped to the floor, so the pump is actually pretty well locked (loosely) in place.

The extra wiring was added as an extension cord, because one of the crimp connectors had pulled out when I was juggling the pump around last week. The new length of wire will permit moving the pump 6-8" freely if I need to do more down here.

I will put the large drawer back and check out the pressure adjustment mentioned recently, when I get around to it! A test run yesterday seemed like a big improvement with reduced noise levels.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #356
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Fresh Drain Relocated.
Mounted brass ball valve next to other drains. Removed some rivets in panel cover of tank .Bend back enough to gain access to connector on tank. Put hose/clamp on this and ran thru hole ,where plastic valve was. Run hose to panel where other drains are.Mount valve & connect hose. Push back panel and re-rivet .
Now drain is easy to access.No need to get under trailer. (Orig post did not get on this thread,got lost ?)
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #357
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. You posted in the Two Water Drains? thread I think. Useful in both spots! Any chance of a photo of the knu location?
Old 10-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #358
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Will try to get tomorrow.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
[snip]
There is an adjustment screw on the front of the pump. It's on the pressure switch. They can come loose during travels. All you need to do is tweak the screw one way or the other. Higher pressure equal shorter cycles.
[snip]
On our 2014 FC20, the pressure switch is on the right end of the pump as you see it under the oven, looking toward the curb side of the coach (see recent photo in Post 355 here).

This shot shows my left hand reaching into the pump space, over the 1x4 kick/valance, with the red ballpoint pen pointing to the allen-head adjustment screw (I believe -- see YouTube video link below). This shot is thus looking toward the coach's front:

Name:	FC20 pump pressure switch.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	251358

In my opinion this switch should be adjusted ONLY if the pump is cycling on and off during a shower, or something like this. It has nothing to do with reducing the actual noise level of the pump (think decibels). Again, the YouTube video covers this.

Note that he has the pump "upside down" compared to my photo, the red wires will orient you.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #360
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I agree with OTRA15. Thanks for those photos and the follow up to my suggestions.

Some where going to install a accumulator tank, when I made the pressure switch suggestion.

Some of your pumps are variable speed units. My 2011 had one. They sound very different than the others. They start off slow and build up speed. Some times they will just lub dub along.