Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #2541
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Staring at pictures of the failed vac breaker and contemplating my navel...any one consider going in thru the removed exterior shower box to access the CB/CV. The CB/CV is right there, the opening looking fairly large, and maybe with a stubby screwdriver one could loosen the clamps enough to back off the pex connections.

RR did you ever got your box removed?

b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin Raven View Post
Ok, folks, back to a plumbing question.Has anyone replaced their outside shower? Do I just unscrew and pull out the box to unscrew the hoses, i.e. are they flexible hoses? Also, do I need to apply butyl tape to the flange first or just sealant around the perimeter? Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776 (Large).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	339604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782 (Large).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	339605  

CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #2542
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
"Summerized" today with no leaks, and ran most systems, except fridge on propane. All OK. Bleach/water solution sitting in water tank and pipes overnight, to be flushed out manana. Chemicals in black tank.

Ignoring vacuum breaker until the fall probably.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Camping next week hopefully.

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #2543
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Outstanding!!!! Souncs like a good strategy.
Have a great time.

Happy trails

B
Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #2544
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
You can get at the vacuum breaker from the shower, but getting the threaded connector tight is really a two hand job. I think you are dreading taking out the dinette far more than you need to, it's pretty simple and should take a 1/2 hour.
-remove table

-remove cushions
-remove two plywood top pieces
-remove two screws through the seat back into the wall and one that holds a small angle bracket to the interior skin
-remove about a dozen wood screws that hold the top of seat to the base
-remove three screws along the seat edge against the interior skin
-un-stick the ultra-leather from the wall
-move the seat and done

You do need to remove the shower box so you can get to the vacuum break, that's very easy with the seat removed. After five or six years the ultra-leather had become stuck to the wall. Just needed to run my hand down it to un-stick it. The seat is made up of a base that is about 4-5" tall and a upper. Don't bother removing the base screws that go into the floor. Just remove the upper screws that go into the top of the base. You'll know what I mean when you do it. Whole job taking apart, replacing the vacuum break and reassembly will take two hours or so.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #2545
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
smithcreek, i suspect you're right. Thanks for your comments. Exteior shower box is currently sealed well and why open that door. I'm only replacing the cb/cv so will swing by lowes/plumbing distributer...lots of wholesalers near by. Not interested in the kit/shipping.

B
Old 05-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #2546
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
. . .
Whole job taking apart, replacing the vacuum break and reassembly will take two hours or so.
Thanks for the confirmation, this was my guess.

Good luck, Bob!

Peter
Old 05-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #2547
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Staring at pictures of the failed vac breaker and contemplating my navel...any one consider going in thru the removed exterior shower box to access the CB/CV. The CB/CV is right there, the opening looking fairly large, and maybe with a stubby screwdriver one could loosen the clamps enough to back off the pex connections.

RR did you ever got your box removed?

b
Not sure if it will help, but if you search back to around page 136 of this thread, I posted a pretty in-depth description (with pictures) of how I accessed this on my 2007 20-footer...
vandemusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:34 AM   #2548
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you for that reminder!

[click on orange arrow in quote to go directly to Post #1898 incl photos]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
Thanks for all the help, folks! I can't believe I almost tore into the bath cabinet. That's not to say that pulling the dinette seat didn't have its challenges...
. . .
Well . . . so much for my memory, I guess, given that I was right in the middle of that conversation . . .

Peter

PS -- See also Posts #1910 and #1922. Thanks again vandemusser.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #2549
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, this was my guess.

Good luck, Bob!

Peter
If you know where and which screws to remove going into this it's pretty quick. Like I said, just don't mess with the screws holding the seat base to the floor. There are at least one or two I could not access because they were under a large wiring harness, so the only way was to remove the upper from the base.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #2550
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Just got the Airstream home after some upgrades. I had GYE's put on. Finally found a reputable place in Colorado to have the work done. I also have the Tyron bands on my wheels and they were able to service my Airstream with those as well. New batteries, bearings greased, new tires....ready to get out and do some camping. Several of the campgrounds are closed this weekend because of so much snow up in the mountains. I feel sorry for the folks that had reservations and couldn't go. Our drought has been declared "over" and more snow is in the forecast for this coming week. Everything is really green this year!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #2551
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Steve, fresh juice and new shoes...time to rock and roll
https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...kslide-roadway

Be careful out there

B

btw, did you ever get your water heater challenges figured out?
Old 05-27-2019, 02:03 AM   #2552
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update Steve . . . that is some boulder in Bob's article!

Peter
Old 05-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #2553
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Dang rocks always getting in the way!! LOL...glad nobody was hurt.
I haven't fixed the water heater yet. Gave up on it last year and am going to order a Dinosaur board to see if that fixed the challenge. It works fine on electric...never worked well on propane. Couldn't get the manufacturer or Airstream to help. The dealer in our area sucks as well. So....I will continue to chip away at it until I get it figured out. I was going to leave the Airstream out until I leave on my trip and am glad I put it away in it's garage. We had hail overnight...I was in bed listening to it hit the flat roof on my house and was very grateful she was put away in a safe place.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #2554
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Steve, good call on the garage. Seems you had some hail damage previously.

We were in Memphis across from Graceland a few years ago under tornado watch. We were watching the 15 min news cycle as the storm approached...it split...north got the tornados and S (missippippi) got the golf ball hail. We were very lucky.

B
Old 05-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #2555
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I had some damage back in 2016, right after buying the Airstream. It ended up being a few spots on the roof and are not visible from the ground....thank goodness! We have already had a lot of hail and tornado warnings this spring. Looks like there were some scares up in Ohio near the Alumapalooza gathering...I hope everyone is ok.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #2556
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post

I haven't fixed the water heater yet. Gave up on it last year and am going to order a Dinosaur board to see if that fixed the challenge. It works fine on electric...never worked well on propane. Couldn't get the manufacturer or Airstream to help. The dealer in our area sucks as well. So....I will continue to chip away at it until I get it figured out. I was going to leave the Airstream out until I leave on my trip and am glad I put it away in it's garage. We had hail overnight...I was in bed listening to it hit the flat roof on my house and was very grateful she was put away in a safe place.

I purchased a 20’ 2018 Flying Cloud Bambi last year and the water heater would not run on propane, only on electric. Long story short, AS is aware of a problem with the circuit board. My repair guy received a replacement that too was bad. A nice person from Airstream finally sent him a new circuit board made by a different manufacturer and that void the trick. I sent a labor bill to the dealer where I purchased the Airstream and thy paid it. Good luck!
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #2557
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Has anyone replaced the screens on the big windows - I have a 2015 that has a screen that has come loose and I know I need to remove the shade - it looks to me like you have to remove the upper cabinet to get to the upper screws on the screen ? Have not tried to fix yet thought i would ask before I did :-)
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 AM   #2558
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The last time I looked, Ken, that appeared to be the required process. More details in this short thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ts-188178.html

Replacing the screen without removing the upper cabinet is possible IMO, but I did not attempt that. Rovin Raven got it done using a spoon for the upper spline, but the result was imperfect it appears.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #2559
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Same symptoms with the water heater in our 23FB. Swapped for the Dino board and all is well. Called Dinosaur to confirm part # and ordered from Amazon. Easy plug and play replacement.
dlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #2560
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for the input on the circuit (Dinosaur) boards fellas! I am definitely going to get this done and hope that it is the final fix on the water heater.

Just got back from camping at Cherry Creek State Park. It's only a few miles from my home and a great place to start the camping season.