Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
1 vs 2; a deal breaker?

Been looking (for sometime) for a 27FB with solar, convection & 2 A/Cís. Found a new 2022 w/o the 2nd A/C but everything else including color.
Live in N.C. but travel throughout the South and Midwest.
Those of you with a 27 or 28, how has using only one A/C worked out for you?
I say buy it, wife says ďhmmmmĒ.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Always do what wife says

Seriously, we have a 25ft single air unit which is fine in Colorado. Sometimes we will run it continuously on a hot day at home (90s) and it will only cool it off down to the upper 70's. I would say of you like A/C and go to hot places you will struggle making DW happy with a single unit. For us we did not want two units as we prefer having the second fan for the climate we are in most of the time.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
We have a 27FB with one 15k AC. Its generally okay but in really hot weather it runs all the time. If 100 outside it can't keep the trailer at 70, maybe 80. Compared to two AC's it cools the trailer more slowly, but that's self evident. What we do is direct the air flow to the part of the tailer we're in and then its okay. However its loud and not really all that pleasant to be inside when the AC is running so tend to avoid camping where its going to be really hot.

A pro I've heard to the singe AC is the size and manageability of the power cord. Apparently the 50 amp cord is a beast, the 30 amp cord (for a single AC) is easier to manage.

A con to having a second AC is loss of the front fantastic fan. We find we use that fan a lot more than we use the AC.

I've heard its possible to add a second AC bit the wiring and electronics are a little hinky.

Whatever trailer you purchase make sure to get the full awning package. More than anything those will do the most to help cool the trailer.
kscherzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with the previous comments. We rarely use our air conditioner, but a single unit struggles to cool my 23 footer the rare times that we have camped in really hot places. I’m sure it takes even more to cool a larger trailer. If you’re going to camp in places with hookups and you’ll regularly need air conditioning, then you’ll be happier with two units.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sumterville , Florida
It looks like you are going to be doing a good portion of your camping in the south. You know what the humidity is like, and that through most of the camping season it will be the AC that you will need, not the fans.

Our larger AC blower motor failed and it was three months before it was replaced. Having the second unit allowed us to continue camping through the hot/humid months.

One unit is good, two is better for the southeast.

Our thanks to Airstream for replacing the failed AC under warranty without issue.
SVTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Aside from Just A/C

Aside from just the AC.
Another big difference between the 30 and 50 amp is how many other appliances you can run at the same time and never worry about current amps.

If you try to stay within that some say the "design Load" of a 30 amp to not engineer for greater than 24 amps as a design load.
That means you are close to the limit running the water heater on AC at the same time as the A/C. Not to mention if your converter is charging batteries adding another perhaps 3 amps.

Always having to think: Do I need to cut off the A/C to run the Microwave.
Do I need to switch the water heater to propane if I want to run the A/C.

Now many will respond that they run the A/C and water heater at the same time on a 30 amp with no problems.
Many have never looked in detail at how many amps they are pulling.
Many have gotten to campgrounds that have very loose and worn out 30 receptacles and wonder why.
Many have felt their 30 amp plug to be a "Bit Warm"

Many have looked at the amps. Some try to keep it to around 24 Amps or less.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Noise is probably not a factor for you

In the threads that respond, you might hear about the noise issue.
That is true for all of us with older airstreams, but I doubt that would be a big concern for you with the ducted air.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Our 2012 25FBT only had one AC and it was part of my reason for buying the 2015 30’. I hunted until I found a 2022 25’ RBT with dual air and full awning package. Turns out it is the only way Airstream of Dallas Fort Worth orders theirs. I would never own another Airstream without dual AC units. Trust your wife she has good instincts.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Now for the Emotion part.

There is a very strong urge to buy now once someone catches the virus: Aluminum in the Veins.
There is only one cure for that virus.
Plop down a huge amount of cash!

Buy now has a great immediate reward..........Go Camping now.

But would you be constantly second questioning yourself for years to come: What if we had bought that dual A/C. .... 50 Amp.

You are likely to have this trailer for many years.
Upgrading a couple years from now could be a very expensive option.
Also: Prices are perhaps at their peak right now or close to it. So in a couple of years if price come back to normal, that makes the upgrade even worse for anyone that bought now.

Those are just a few thoughts to consider.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
2 A/C's?

We have a 2019 FC 25 RBT with 1 A/C. We winter in Melbourne, Fl. Some fairly hot days. Last October we spent the month in Naples, Fl and it was Hot. 95 almost every day and no shade. The 1 A/C was able to maintain 74 degrees. Having said that, any AS larger than a 25' probably should have the 2 A/C's. You do lose the second Fantastic Fan but the trade is probably worth it.

Yes, the 50 amp cord is a pain. It does make it easier to run several items at once.

We never plug into the 30 amp outlet at any of the parks we stay at. I use an adapter and plug into the 50 amp outlet. Usually, the 50 amp outlet is in better shape.

Make the DW happy and get the 2 A/C unit. Make sure you get the full all around awning package. Worth every penny.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Choice might depend on time of year you plan to camp across the south. Lots of great camping with moderate temps during the fall and spring. Wintertime, too, if your schedule is flexible and you watch the weather.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I have a 27FB with a single A/C and awnings all around. Once the outside temp gets in the upper 80s, low 90s, it will barely keep up. We have been run out of places like Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo in the early summer because the single A/C could not keep the temps down much below 80F.

If I were to do it again, a single A/C would be a deal-breaker. And, of course, the full awning package is also a necessity.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I think it’s too much of an individual preference, it’s way more about how you want the interior. We have a 25’, single a/c and we are happy. The key is we don’t like to use a/c unless really necessary, and then only enough to make it comfortable. We spent a week in July at the international rally in TN and it was hot and humid. Mid day, our single a/c worked harder, but was always pleasant inside, and by the evening it was easy for the single a/c to cool the trailer. If you’re preference is for interior temps to be low 70 in all (hot weather) circumstances you are best served by dual a/c. If you are like us, and just want to keep it tolerable then I think single a/c can work in that objective (it has worked for us). Hope that helps you. Also agree with others that the awning pkg is a big help no matter how many a/c units you have.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
amxpress, I feel your pain! Do you go with ďa bird in the handĒ or hope another with two shows up? Itís such a huge purchase decision in the first place.

We ordered our GT with two and solar and have been very happy. I think the 50A service has been a blessing like GeeSag explained. You donít have to worry about overloading since the feed is split between two 50A legs. And, we run the lounge AC (Zone 2) during the night to keep the sound down. If you leave the bathroom door open, you hardly hear the unit running at all.

Good luck with your decision!

P.S.: I picked up a 50A Mighty Cord thatís more flexible and lighter than the Anaconda monster that came with the trailer. Plus itís got a right angle plug that puts less stress on the connection.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
We love to have a cool trailer. We have only used our 2nd unit once in our 30Bunk. Awnings. Do a decent job keeping the temps down. The second unit wouldn’t be a deal breaker in a future purchase.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
We planned a summer long vacation only to have it cut short when our only AC quit. We couldn’t find anyone to repair on the road in a reasonable time frame (only 2out of 8 places even called us back). Our next TT will definitely have 2 ACs.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We have a 2020 FC 27FB with one AC and have only camped in Florida. We keep the temp at 80 and even on the hot days with the help of the the awnings, we can keep the temp comfortable for us. Its all about what is comfortable for you.
Brainodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:25 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Having owned a 27FB with a single air conditioner in phoenix my answer is a resounding no don't do it. We have dual A/C in our 30RB much better.
Gman88188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We chose a single AC on our 25í and itís been just fine. More often than not we are camping in places without hookups so having the second fantastic fan, which we use constantly, was far more useful to us. That being said, we avoid the lower half of the country in summer.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Been looking (for sometime) for a 27FB with solar, convection & 2 A/C’s. Found a new 2022 w/o the 2nd A/C but everything else including color.
Live in N.C. but travel throughout the South and Midwest.
Those of you with a 27 or 28, how has using only one A/C worked out for you?
I say buy it, wife says “hmmmm”.
With the 25, you can "get by" with one AC, but will appreciate 2 more. We had 3 different model year 25's over the years here in Austin TX. All had only one AC, it does take longer to cool down after towing in TX heat for sure, but it can work once you get it cool. Now one trip thru Las Vegas from San Diego, it was 118 when we got to Vegas around 6pm...we could not get the AS cool...so we stayed in a hotel.

Our 28' has 2 AC's and I would highly recommend 2; faster cooling down with 2 and better resale in most "hot" regions. Also, if your going to be in Southern states camping (SC/NC areas), you will want a dehumidifier also...nothing more aggravating then waking up to wet everywhere with your AC pumping full time...dehumidifier makes a huge difference inside. We have camped in NC & SC areas last few years in October...the dehumidifier makes things much nicer with the AC's running! You can use two AC's to start, then turn one off after comfort level is reached...but the dehumidifier is on all the time with us!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote