Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Up North , Michigan
2020 Model Changes

Anyone have any info on what changes might occur to the A/S model line-up for 2020?

A replacement for the Tommy B might be due? If so, hopefully something a little less "beachy" and a little more "woodsy" will be targeted! It would also be nice if twin beds were an option on a TB replacement!

Would be cool to see the U-lounge from the 26, get utilized in more models. If not that, simply a more comfortable lounge!

Also seems the Flying cloud and International interiors are getting a little aged at this point.

I read somewhere that the new Globetrotter scheme is expected to replace the current Flying Cloud line-up, but haven't heard much else.

I wonder if the rear hatch will get utilized going forward?

What would you like to see?
Greatlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Not that I'm buying anything new anytime soon (since I just got my 2019), but I would like to see Airstream offer some more /optional/ items. I was a bit frustrated that I was forced into the power awnings and rear camera on mine since they made them standard for the 2019.

It would also be nice to be able to just eliminate certain features, but I understand the need for standardization for the production lines to be consistent.
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I was happy to get the power awning and rear view camera as I had to add the camera myself and the manual awning was a pain in the rear (mine)

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Not buying a new RV anytime soon. Getting the last one right via 2 years of warranty service was way too much like work.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker View Post
Also seems the Flying cloud and International interiors are getting a little aged at this point.
My 2 cents...

Not a fan of the Flying Cloud interior, maybe it is the aircraft style overheads.

I like the International interiors very clean, simple, and modern looking. This is the one we are looking at very hard.

I find the Classic to be very dated...it doesn't have to have a 1960's interior to be 'Classic'.

The Globetrotter tries too hard to look European, having been overseas to looks to me what most Americans think European looks/functions.
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamingEagle View Post
Not that I'm buying anything new anytime soon (since I just got my 2019), but I would like to see Airstream offer some more /optional/ items. I was a bit frustrated that I was forced into the power awnings and rear camera on mine since they made them standard for the 2019.

It would also be nice to be able to just eliminate certain features, but I understand the need for standardization for the production lines to be consistent.
We are still researching, but looking hard at an International... not a fan of the powered awning, from the videos I've seen, slow and loud.
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondul View Post
We are still researching, but looking hard at an International... not a fan of the powered awning, from the videos I've seen, slow and loud.

Yup, and expensive when it breaks!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondul View Post
not a fan of the powered awning, from the videos I've seen, slow and loud.
Trust me, Power awnings and auto stabilizers are a god send, take it from someone who has owned 3 Airstreams... 😜
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
2020 Model Changes

Personally, as a seriously old guy who makes a darn good living using all kinds of technology and automation in my career, I’d rather minimize the amount of high-tech stuff I have to deal with in my Airstream. I may be the “worlds oldest computer geek” according to my family, but I don’t have to geek out to go camping.

A common electrical switch has a lot fewer failure modes that an automated awning (which I am darn glad I DON’T have) and fancy control systems that mess up when my battery voltage happens to take a dive in the middle of the night.

Stuff that requires computer software, sequencers, and complicated automation beyond flipping a switch from off to on also requires complicated troubleshooting and eats expensive parts. I love Overkill Engineering a lot, but I also keep the hand crank handy...and it had best work when i need it. Even my power WD tensioning system has a hand crank just in case it blows a fuse.

So far, the automated power awning, IMHO, is not quite ready for prime time. Power stabilizers might be, but let the record show mine still get cranked down one at a time by hand. And my air conditioner has knobs that work just fine, and the propane heater has a simple thermostat that does not require a bunch of fiddling to program it.

Basic functions, like turning lights on and off, should be basic, easy and obvious. I don’t need Czone or whatever to stand between me or my DW turning on some light or appliance, either.

And no, I’m not going to give up my computer or cell phone either. But the difference is that in my Airstream, I don’t need complicated interfaces, computers, or the like to flush the toilet, heat water, or control the television set. I’m out there to go camping, not use all my technology skills when I don’t really need or want to.

And no, I’m not giving up my high-tech card or man card. I can split wood efficiently and gracefully with a double-bitted axe and start a nice campfire with wooden strike-anywhere matches and a bit of kindling just fine.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
The new CAN bus weighs 300lbs less in wiring while eaiser to troubleshoot & maintain. It’s a welcome advancement in my opinion, but again, what works for one may not be for another. ;-)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Looking at old pictures of my Classic, the new Classic looks a bit more worthy of its price tag. ��
Old 03-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Discovered a new 23' Globetrotter FBT video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker View Post
Anyone have any info on what changes might occur to the A/S model line-up for 2020?

A replacement for the Tommy B might be due? If so, hopefully something a little less "beachy" and a little more "woodsy" will be targeted! It would also be nice if twin beds were an option on a TB replacement!

Would be cool to see the U-lounge from the 26, get utilized in more models. If not that, simply a more comfortable lounge!

I read somewhere that the new Globetrotter scheme is expected to replace the current Flying Cloud line-up, but haven't heard much else.

I wonder if the rear hatch will get utilized going forward?

What would you like to see?
Hi Greatlaker - I posted this on the Globetrotter thread but it fits here as well...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f543...bt-193793.html

While watching a YouTube video from "Big Truck, Big RV" he was at the Salt Lake City RV show and walked through a new Airstream that I recognized as a 23' floor plan (we had a FC23FB) - but this one had the Globetrotter interior and twin beds!

My guess this will be added as a new 2020 Globetrotter. Check it out...
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
I saw that video too! It makes me wonder if Airstream is going to offer twin beds in the other 23FB models...

EDIT: I asked Patrick from Colonial about this model, & he said "That was a protoype model No announcements have been made."
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

They have the new factory coming on line later this year. Moving everything into it is going to be a massive lot of work. Since everything gets moved as part of this, the whole product line will be affected. I'm not sure that making a lot of changes on top of that move would be a good idea.

That said, yes, I have a Classic. I love using it. It's a great trailer for us. I would never in 100 years pick this interior over something more Euro / modernl. Solid build approach - sure, that's good. Style ... not so much. Yes, I've had the same problem each time we go shopping for a new house.

Once the factory size effectively triples, I would think there will be some significant changes in the lineup. Again, that's likely next year, but ... maybe not. What would I like to see:

1) Bring back the three axle "big boys". You now have the space to build them again. With people full timing in these trailers, there *is* a market for "bigger". What if you actually have a family with "full sized" kids ?

2) Put the power chairs / sofa / decent seating in something smaller than the 30'. Call it whatever you like. Give people a comfortable place to relax.

3) Dump the dinette and replace it with a desk in something in the 27' vicinity. This seems to be the most common mod I see people doing. It makes a lot of sense in the modern world. Offer it as a factory option.

4) Do at least one model that has a real storage locker. There are people who have outdoor hobbies. A lot of them involve hauling "stuff" along. Saying that you pack it all in the tow is not a great answer.

There are a long list of fiddly little changes I would make. They really are not a "new model" sort of thing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Nashua , New Hampshire
Just had my unit in for service at the mothership last week and during the factory tour they were assembling two prototypes of a new model being introduced in 2020. We were told by one of the floor workers that the model was being introduced in 2020. Only the outer shells were complete on the prototypes so can't comment on the interior. Very interesting!
jamtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
One dealer confirmed on Facebook that the Tommy Bahama is on its way out. No word on what, if anything, might replace it.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, this thread proves a point I was making in another thread about why AS doesn't fix "X" in their trailers.

I said AS rarely makes real improvements to the trailer (pick your issue: poor insulation, rotting plywood floors, plastic parts that break easily, the way the wires are installed (no conduit), using cheap parts/appliances that fail, etc.)

I said AS will occasionally add features or do cosmetic updates that customers will see; shiny surface changes and gee-whiz gizmos, but leave the long-standing problems with the guts and bones.

And here, sure enough, no one is asking for any of those changes. It's all features and cosmetics. We really do get the product we ask for.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
One dealer confirmed on Facebook that the Tommy Bahama is on its way out. No word on what, if anything, might replace it.
Hi

Maybe the new one will be called the "I Want Everybody to Cry With Me" model

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have it on good authority that the 2020 replacement for the Tommy Bahama (formerly the Eddie Bauer) is the Veuve Clicquot - I’m in line for #1 (Insert brows, whistling, etc...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4873.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	339498
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Well, this thread proves a point I was making in another thread about why AS doesn't fix "X" in their trailers.

I said AS rarely makes real improvements to the trailer (pick your issue: poor insulation, rotting plywood floors, plastic parts that break easily, the way the wires are installed (no conduit), using cheap parts/appliances that fail, etc.)

I said AS will occasionally add features or do cosmetic updates that customers will see; shiny surface changes and gee-whiz gizmos, but leave the long-standing problems with the guts and bones.

And here, sure enough, no one is asking for any of those changes. It's all features and cosmetics. We really do get the product we ask for.
Wow! Very nicely stated. That is the whole truth about Airstream. They give us a little bling here and there, but no real substance.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote