Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Wood Finish Quality on 18 Classic

We jumped into the world of AS after deciding we wanted quality but simplicity after 40 years of motorhoming. My husband has always admired Airstreams so we purchased a 30 2018 Classic. Were mostly pleased with our choice but are saddened by the horrible finish on the unit wood. Cupboards have bare spots where it appears finish was never applied. There are many locations where bare spots appear and finish is not of good quality. Anyone else found this?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, unfortunately, yes. Our 2019 Classic 30 had several spots we are not happy with. Looks like the supplier to Airstream (a company from Indiana I believe) builds the cabinets for the classics and are not turning out a very good product.

My wife and I quickly noticed that the dealer (I assume) had polished over some of the flaws with a type of finish wax with a little color. After a few months, this color came off or just disappeared into the wood.

Our rear cabinet was the worst. The finish was horrible and not completely sanded properly. Tops of cabinet drawers in the bathroom are losing their color, I assume, by the stain getting absorbed into the wood as the end grains were never sealed.

Our trailer is going back to JC for just this reason. Airstream has already set up removing our upper rear cabinet and replacing it with another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finish lg_res (1).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	337243  

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
My cabinets are in good shape. We came from JC recently and had a wonderful experience. They will definitely make it right for you. Any dealer will do the same, it will just take time for them to get the parts/materials.

From what I understand, classics are solid wood and its all a stain. In this case, they may need to do a light sanding, re stain, then clear coat.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKovalchik View Post
We jumped into the world of AS after deciding we wanted quality but simplicity after 40 years of motorhoming. My husband has always admired Airstreams so we purchased a 30 2018 Classic. Were mostly pleased with our choice but are saddened by the horrible finish on the unit wood. Cupboards have bare spots where it appears finish was never applied. There are many locations where bare spots appear and finish is not of good quality. Anyone else found this?
Hi SMKovalchik,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
2019 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Turk123, We took delivery of our Classic 30 about 2 weeks ago. I noticed several "dull" grimey spots on the same cabinet, same place as in your photo, as well as other places, especially bottoms. Not as big as yours, but they did wipe clean and shiny with Sprayway glass cleaner (ammonia free) and a micro cloth. Not all of the cabinets in the trailer are wood; walls and undersides appear to be laminate. Several doors and drawers were poorer quality than "seconds" and are being replaced through the dealer, Airstream of Utah.
Fieldtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Although we've had a few other issues, the appearance of the cognac maple wood finish in our 2018 30' Classic has not been one of them. Very uniform (no blotches or bare spots) and overall very nicely done.

The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"You can't fix stupid...but you can work with it"
-- Wiley Miller

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Yep. A couple blotches on the dinette locker door. Airstream of Utah ordered a replacement, however, when I brought the unit in, it was the wrong size. To their credit, the dealership owner told the service department to swap a locker door off of an unsold, identical unit in order to get me on my way.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not a 2018, but a 2017: No problems with finish on any of the woodwork so far. You did get me to take a good close look though

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard to Classic World...👍

Our wood still looks good👍...if you like wood.🤔
Sandra loves wood.😘 And I love Sandra.😍

She also wanted to go to Cleveland on Vacation...
but I'm the Husband...so we went to Cleveland🤷*♂️

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_11.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	338104  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote