Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
Winter readiness

We live in area that gets into teens at night. We usually get a couple of ice storms a year with possible power outages. Currently have classic with full water, enough in the gray and black tanks to allow tank heaters to run properly and Alde on 61. Fresh water lines are blown out. Thinking can use AS if there is weather related power issue. Any issues with that logic or should I drain and add antifreeze.
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Anytime you leave water in the system with weather in the teens, you are taking a risk. If daytime temperatures are above freezing, however, the risk is lowered, particularly since you have tank heaters running.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I remember those Ice Storms....went through several when we lived in Huntsville.

Just be sure you have plenty of propane and fully charged batteries to keep everything going. I'd have a couple spare tanks just in case travel is impossible.

If the power goes out you may need a small generator to keep batteries charged sufficiently to make it through the cold nights. All your heating and lights in the AS need 12 volt power.

Another consideration is some shelter so the AS entrance door will not get iced over and frozen shut. We had that problem on our back door of the house--had over 3/4 inch of ice coating the wall and door, plus snow on the deck. Could not get the door open from inside with any reasonable force.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I think water in the tanks is risky. The first think I could see freezing and busting on my trailer would be the plastic drain valve that drains my fresh water tank.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You'll need power to run the Alde for more than about 10 hours as it will use up the batteries. I have two Honda 2000, carry only one just in case as it's enough to keep the batteries up. I would dump the tanks and not have anything in any of them.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Your low water valves will freeze and break open
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Although Airstreams are not a four season trailer, many people have wintered in them. it is a challenge, but not impossible. Several years ago a couple wintered at Grand Canyon during a rough winter. That's a lot more winter than Alabama.

You did not say whether the trailer goes anywhere during the winter or whether you are using at it at one location. If you don't use it for months, winterize and be done with it. If you are using it from time to time or fulltiming, make a skirt to fit around the trailer and you can run a light bulb under the tanks on the ground—an old fashioned incandescent bulb is basically a heater than produces some light as a byproduct. If the power goes out, you can run the furnace at a lower temperature to conserve the batteries and if all else fails, use a generator to recharge the batteries or even try with a truck to charge them.

It all depends on whether you are using it or not. if not, winterize.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote